CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks very torchy through mid-month. Vortex is on the right side of the hemisphere but not doing us much good with the ridge/blocking setup.

I would agree with this, with the AO going positive to potentially very positive until mid month things are probably going to warm up, if we get a +NAO/-PNA along with it, then it may get very much above normal through mid month.

6z GEFS are a full out blowtorch from Jan 7 onward. +21º 2m departures tickling the upper Plains on the 8th.

http://www.meteo.psu...2_6z/tloop.html

The mid month flip certainly is in the cards there as well. I would probably be watching the Jan 15-20 time period when the pattern flips there will probably be a strong storm that comes with it.

Next 7 days look decent and than yuck for a week. Personally I would rather keep the cold and suppression over warmth.... We seem to get stuck in warmth patterns too often with the active pacific. Plus, let's freeze those lakes up. It always seems that those without recreational interests favor the wild swings... Screw that.

Jon

Here is the NAEFS

2012123100_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

I may be way off, but i think when its all said and done, the month is not going to end up a torch. There is a lot of snowcover right now that will need to be melted... especially if its stays sunny (cold nights)... I suppose if we get a week of clouds and 30F...that could hurt averages...but i'd rather have cold/clear.

Definitely looks like a warming trend is in the cards in the extended. Will be interesting to see how much damage it does to the negative anomalies built up until then.

They'll get wiped out fairly easily IMO. The 7-14th, at least, is a roaster on the 12z GEFS. Lots of 9º+ days upcoming...and the 2m departure maps are usually biased "cool" in the medium/long range.

They'll get wiped out fairly easily IMO. The 7-14th, at least, is a roaster on the 12z GEFS. Lots of 9º+ days upcoming...and the 2m departure maps are usually biased "cool" in the medium/long range.

You could be right. I'm banking on something around -5 to -7 for the first week. Then it's all downhill from there.

You could be right. I'm banking on something around -5 to -7 for the first week. Then it's all downhill from there.

The Euro ensembles are even warmer...so yeah. But I don't think this signals the end, not that anyone has thankfully said that. I can see the last 10 days of January turning more wintry...kind of like December did. For who, that's the question. It's cliche I suppose, but I do have hopes that February might be good.

We gotta watch how this SSW and polar vortex split comes about. Could be seeing some significant changes like Stebo said above around the 15-20th.

10hPa winds at the pole flip hard around the 11th.

http://www.cpc.ncep....here/strat_a_f/

The warmth may end up spawning one hell of a storm system if we can get a major arctic blast to slam south into it with the right jet structure.

If I recall corectly most January's have a warm up of some extent during the month. I bet it would be hard pressed to find a DTX month of January with no days above freezing. I look at it like this the cold came in and will be supressed as the next batch reloads in the north. During the cold warm temperature wars is when most of us get the big snows anyway.

With the gobal weather systems so screwy at the moment I would not put very much faith in the long term cold or warm. I think this weather pattern will have us sitting on the edge of our seats before long. More storms are going to be brewing, its weather reload time.

Looking blocky El-Ninoish. Do you know if that output is based off a running mean, or is each output completely discrete from the previous run?

I'm not sure.

That is an ugly dry area...hopefully it doesn't pan out like that but at least the first part of the month doesn't look like it will be getting off to a good start for much of us in terms of precip.

If I recall corectly most January's have a warm up of some extent during the month. I bet it would be hard pressed to find a DTX month of January with no days above freezing. I look at it like this the cold came in and will be supressed as the next batch reloads in the north. During the cold warm temperature wars is when most of us get the big snows anyway.

With the gobal weather systems so screwy at the moment I would not put very much faith in the long term cold or warm. I think this weather pattern will have us sitting on the edge of our seats before long. More storms are going to be brewing, its weather reload time.

Thing is that Januarys have been getting much warmer in recent decades. Just go to the Environment Canada webiste and skim through some of the years if you get the chance. If you were a betting person, you would bet on a warm January overall these days.

Toronto likely to tie December 1931 and December 2011 for one of the warmest Decembers since records began in 1839, with 2006 being the warmest.

Anyways, I realize that's off topic and should probably be a topic for the climate change forum.

Archived