joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those 850mb maps are like a night and day difference for the Midwest! Interesting that there is a Yukon vortex on the ECMWF, but not the GFS...

Everything would progress along if it wasn't for the cut off.

Those maps look like they are from different time periods unless I'm getting old images on my end.

12Z GFS forecast for 1/12/2013 cold and a chance for light snow.    12Z Euro for 1/12/2013 - high hear 50 with almost 2" of rain.  Which model will win?  I know which one I would pick if I could.

The Euro Ensembles in the upcoming runs will be very telling; if they start to trend toward the GFS wrt temps and a trough carving its way through the center of the country, then I will become a lot more confident siding with the GFS if it continues to show this as well.

850mb maps for NA at 168 hours. EURO top, GFS bottom. Trough in west is progressed further east on the GFS in response to that low not cutting off.

12zeurohourly850mbTempAnomalyNA168.gif

12zgfs850mbTAnomalyNA168.gif

Big difference in ridge strength and northward extent for Tuesday.

Not going anywhere is it turtle (snowpack)?  I just getting some drips off the roof...

We been mostly clear here since around noon...beautiful afternoon if you like sun...some wind and its still cold.    Temp stuck at 20F.

I'll believe a warm up when it gets here...

Yeah, this is the time of year when a projected warm up can easily fail to materialize. Models aren't that great at simulating snowpack feedbacks, especially the thin stable boundary layer generated by snow cover.

DVN regarding next weeks system. 

THAT SAID...THERE ARE TWO SIGNIFICANT MODEL CAMPS WITH RESPECT TO AN  EJECTING UPPER LOW/MIDWEST CYCLONE FOR NEXT WEEK. THE GFS AND GEM  BOTH BRING IT OUT QUICKLY AND SOUTH FAR ENOUGH TO CREATE A LIGHT TO  MODERATE SNOW EVENT FOR TUESDAY THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...WHILE THE  PREFERRED ECMWF IS CONSISTENT WITH DRAWING OUT A MILD CYCLONE FOR  WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY. THIS SYSTEM WOULD BRING  RAIN...POSSIBLY MODERATE INTO THE REGION...ALONG WITH VERY MID AIR.  THIS STRONG CHALLENGE WILL NEED TO BE RESOLVED IN THE DAYS  AHEAD...AS A BLEND OF THE TWO SOLUTIONS IS NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE. THUS  OUR PREFERENCE FOR THE MORE CONSISTENT ECMWF SOLUTION.  

Classic winter day, intermittent light snow and temps stuck in the 20s. Snow depth of 9", more like ice sheet thickness. There's glacial like flows bulging out onto sidewalks and roads from the surrounding snow pack.

That's awesome!

Got any crevasses showing up!? :P

Can easily see where the most water is in frozen form. Beaver Dam, west & east of Lake Winnebago.

From LOT. Love the missing poster in the corner.

File.png

Izzi must have made that map.

Long term forecaster Marsili at IWX is favoring the slower, Euro/GEFS mean solution:

VERY LARGESPREADS NOTED AMONG GEFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS AND VARIOUS DETERMINISTICSOLUTIONS REGARDING THE PROGRESSION OF THIS UPPER TROUGH. 12ZGFS REMAINS A PROGRESSIVE OUTLIER...ALTHOUGH 12Z GEM HAS MADE A VERYDRAMATIC JUMP FROM 00Z CYCLE IN TRENDING TOWARD THE GFS. GEFS MEANUPPER HEIGHTS CONTINUE TO TREND MUCH SLOWER THAN THE MOREPROGRESSIVE CLUSTER HOWEVER. BACKGROUND FLOW/LARGE SCALEANTICYCLONIC SHEAR HAS TENDED TO FAVOR MORE OF A CUT OFF PATTERNRECENTLY AND FOR THIS FORECAST WILL CONTINUE TO PUT MORE WEIGHT INSLOWER ECMWF/GEFS MEAN.

Can someone explain what is meant by "background flow/anticyclonic shear"?

The 2" or so of snowpack around here is beginning to really look mangy the last few days.  Hasn't been "refreshed" since the xmas eve dusting.  Like having snow cover, but it won't break my heart if it melts away next week. 

Hit 29 early this morning, but temps drained into the teens later in the day.

Looking to me like the Saturday afternoon/evening time frame could deliver an inch or so of snow to much of northern IL, including Chicago.  Models have indicated this little wave for awhile now.  Latest NAM and RGEM both bring a respectable little wave of light snow through the area. 

Light rates+temps in the 30's+ORD futility power=DAB.

Nice avatar Cyclone! 

Was just about to post about that -SN event Saturday evening. 0z NAM delivers around an 1" or so and most models have been hinting at atleast a dusting to an 1" 

Thanks.  That map is courtesy of Ocean from back when he was still at DVN.  Would love to see that modeled again lol. 

nice to have western michigan in the futility club

Yeah unless the lake is active West Michigan and Chicago usually ( some exceptions ) have the same results. Most spots have between 6-9" for the season and yes that includes the heart of the Lake belts. Incredible stuff considering many of those areas should be at/around the 40" mark..

Been since 1952-53 since this area here has finished with below 30" on the season ( 27") and i imagine for them one has to go back to 1948-49. So far we are on pace with both. I suspect though we wont be talking futility for too much longer up this way. Gonna be very hard to do especially if we get that arctic chill late next week/beyond.. That will surely fire up the lake machine..

Archived