wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 2013 General Discussion

Chicago Storm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow cover over northern IL yesterday.  Can clearly see the lack of snow near Chicago..

nilyk.jpg

I'd be frothing at the mouth if I were in such a focused screwhole. Considering Chicago is probably where a good chunk of the population of this subforum comes from, the fact that I haven't heard more bitching is really remarkable. 

I'd be frothing at the mouth if I were in such a focused screwhole. Considering Chicago is probably where a good chunk of the population of this subforum comes from, the fact that I haven't heard more bitching is really remarkable. 

The thing is, since 2008-2009, they've had two 50"+ seasons and one of their worst blizzards in at least decades (15-20"+), essentially the complete opposite of what you've seen since 2008-2009.

There are several storms shown to move through that area over the next 15 days.... if Chicago doesnt end the month with 10 inches or more... I would be shocked.

Then again.... 

My concern is there will be one primary storm to move through before the NAO and AO tank, and after that we get into another cold, dry boring pattern.  In that case, it is necessary to thread the needle to get most of the 10" you think Chicago will get this month.

The thing is, since 2008-2009, they've had two 50"+ seasons and one of their worst blizzards in at least decades (15-20"+), essentially the complete opposite of what you've seen since 2008-2009.

Maybe that's it. Although I've noticed our ilk tend to have short memories when it comes to the weather. Kind of a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude. It'd be an aberration from that general rule for the good snow weenies of the city of Chicago to be keeping their collective marbles on account of the fading memories of a blizzard that occurred almost two years ago. 

I don't recall sexy Jan 1999 making the disaster that was February 1999 any more tolerable. And that was just a month differential.

A rain system is not going to do much good falling over frozen ground. Better to just keep the snow cover and hope for a slow melt in the spring. The rivers will come up given a GFS solution like that above, by the ground water table won't experience much fluctuation.

About 8 miles south of where I am is where the snow cover become quite sparse. I'm in the brightest white area in far northeastern corner of IL. The ice on the lakes is of decent thickness, about 4-6".

My concern is there will be one primary storm to move through before the NAO and AO tank, and after that we get into another cold, dry boring pattern.  In that case, it is necessary to thread the needle to get most of the 10" you think Chicago will get this month.

Realistic...Though it might be more like 2 or so systems...One over/west, the other(s) SE.

A rain system is not going to do much good falling over frozen ground. Better to just keep the snow cover and hope for a slow melt in the spring. The rivers will come up given a GFS solution like that above, by the ground water table won't experience much fluctuation.

About 8 miles south of where I am is where the snow cover become quite sparse. I'm in the brightest white area in far northeastern corner of IL. The ice on the lakes is of decent thickness, about 4-6".

Hope for wet march/april/may.  the tiny snow  cover we have now or probably in the future wont do jack for the drought whether it melts or not.  we are not up north where they can hold snow pack with decent moisture content until spring melt off.

Hope for wet march/april/may.  the tiny snow  cover we have now or probably in the future wont do jack for the drought whether it melts or not.  we are not up north where they can hold snow pack with decent moisture content until spring melt off.

I was getting at the areas that rely on winter time tourism dollars to survive until summer. Some workmen were digging up a utility line the other day across the street and it looked like a good solid foot of frozen ground, maybe a bit more. I think this system will be a good rain maker in the Ohio Valley for sure.

Back to wet flakes. Cold front looks to have pushed through Waterloo and DLL's town.

I believe this is vortex's report.

Very nice. Too bad it didn't last longer...

0238 PM     SNOW             3 NW KANKAKEE           41.15N 87.90W01/05/2013  M0.8 INCH        KANKAKEE           IL   TRAINED SPOTTERSNOW FELL IN 45 MINUTES.

A couple cell phone pics I took.  It was nice while it lasted, enough to take the boy sledding at least.

post-691-0-20826800-1357436835_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-37435800-1357436880_thumb.jpg

A couple cell phone pics I took.  It was nice while it lasted, enough to take the boy sledding at least.

Nice shots, that looks awesome. Let's see, one at the mall...and the other by Olivet maybe? Did you go to poop hill to go sledding? Fond memories I had there as a kid in winter...

Maybe that's it. Although I've noticed our ilk tend to have short memories when it comes to the weather. Kind of a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude. It'd be an aberration from that general rule for the good snow weenies of the city of Chicago to be keeping their collective marbles on account of the fading memories of a blizzard that occurred almost two years ago. 

I don't recall sexy Jan 1999 making the disaster that was February 1999 any more tolerable. And that was just a month differential.

Well, at least we've had two weeks of winter. Better than nothing. There was two weeks of sledding and toboganning coinciding exactly with the Christmas holidays.

Still, to quote JB when describing a storm a few years ago: could this be a Peggy Lee winter, i.e. "is that all there is?" 

WTF is it with the winter cancellation type posts? Sure I95 corridor may struggle ( especially south of Boston ) for a while but most in this region should be set after this week. :huh:  Most of what JB cries about has to do with I95 not this region.

Oh and Ottawa you need to chill.

Nice shots, that looks awesome. Let's see, one at the mall...and the other by Olivet maybe? Did you go to poop hill to go sledding? Fond memories I had there as a kid in winter...

Yes on both. I took him to the Bird Park hill. He gets a lil freaked out of the river at at the bottom of poop hill, lol.

um, ok.

I was just getting at that rain during the winter doesn't fill ground water supplies up unless you're in an area with a lack of frost depth. This rain might help raise the Mississippi River up enough stave off a barge halt because the water level is so low.

Anyway, sounds like you have a good time in the great white north!

Just a few flakes now. Never really saw any drizzle or sleet today.

Archived