CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
12/30 Coastal Part II - Snowing Our Way Into NYE

Clinch Leatherwood

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Plymouth county has more to worry about than southern CT but I don't like this.

it may not be right. but i think it does need to be considered as an option/concern. this storm isn't running into a brick wall of frigid air. it's running in to marginally average stuff. so for coastal folks, i think it's a legit thing to think about.

I honestly really never thought this would be an issue looking at other guidance earlier today, but living on the coast have seen it happen many times of course. If this area is more over running and we miss out on the dynamics with the coastal, we could easily rain. I think things will work out, especially since it does not seem like a mid level punch of warmth is in the mix, but OKX since this morning has certainly take notice.

Thanks for your thoughts, lets hope the gfs is wrong, or at least some heavier precip overcomes bl issues and good luck!

Growing up in New London, I learned early and reminded often that anything that can go wrong with a snow forecast very likely would go wrong with a snow forecast. I think that's where my qpf anxiety comes in--I've been conditioned to see snow forecasts melt away. P-type is no longer the big concern, but I'm accustomed to snow not happening. lol

My only concern on the temps down there would be if it were to continue to trend NW--but the window for that (or at least to forecast that) is rapidly closing.

Growing up in New London, I learned early and reminded often that anything that can go wrong with a snow forecast very likely would go wrong with a snow forecast. I think that's where my qpf anxiety comes in--I've been conditioned to see snow forecasts melt away. P-type is no longer the big concern, but I'm accustomed to snow not happening. lol

My only concern on the temps down there would be if it were to continue to trend NW--but the window for that (or at least to forecast that) is rapidly closing.

True Mike! Just gotta roll with the punches I am pretty confident, but these setups in December can be dicey around here.

it may not be right. but i think it does need to be considered as an option/concern. this storm isn't running into a brick wall of frigid air. it's running in to marginally average stuff. so for coastal folks, i think it's a legit thing to think about.

I could see a 34F snowfall at the beaches, 31-32 just inland but I feel like the BL wouldn't torch on a NE wind backing northerly along the coast.

Here is my latest forecast. Still trying to work some details out, so the forecast confidence is set at 70%. I think 3"+ for most of the region is pretty straight-forward, but the band of heavier snow that sets up will be key in determining how high amounts go and where that zone ends up. Right now, I think it's eastern CT, inland RI and interior SE Mass.

post-533-0-30463500-1356733281_thumb.png

Having said that, in this part of Ct, with any northerly component to the wind I would feel fine, even ene blows over land. Nothing to do but sit back and enjoy it, Ridgefield to Shelton and east northeast to Stevie boy should be golden

unfortunately I have to make a huge work related decision tomorrow AM, will wait until 6 z models come out. My work area is a classic on the line between the coast , behind the terminal moraine usual BL. Also have to consider staff, visiting groups locations of travel. timing BL and intensity all a major headache.

haha, I swear, it seems sometimes like there is some god that takes filthy pleasure in concocting these scenarios that yo-yo with people.

I was just thinking how hard I might laugh if this thing suddenly came so far NW that it actually rained over SE zones and the Cape. I mean ...I wound't have seen that coming either, but sometimes you just gotta laugh.

I could see a 34F snowfall at the beaches, 31-32 just inland but I feel like the BL wouldn't torch on a NE wind backing northerly along the coast.

I'm inclined to agree. OKX is going 37 here tomorrow. I'll be surprised if we're warmer than 34 when precip arrives. I don't see rain on the shoreline except maybe beaches in New London County. Maybe we warm enough that ratios are crap for a time which hurts totals. But I expect snow.

Archived