CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
12/30 Coastal Part II - Snowing Our Way Into NYE

Clinch Leatherwood

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha, I swear, it seems sometimes like there is some god that takes filthy pleasure in concocting these scenarios that yo-yo with people.

I was just thinking how hard I might laugh if this thing suddenly came so far NW that it actually rained over SE zones and the Cape. I mean ...I wound't have seen that coming either, but sometimes you just gotta laugh.

Most storms DO do that so it wouldn't be as funny as you think. Now if most of SNE rained..then sure!

IMO, the falmouth/sandwich/marston's mills areas have huge positive bust potential...1"+ QPF & I could see that radar signature where there's that little circle of the interior lower cape just ripping with rain surrounding all sides

That's considered upper cape. Some of those areas are around 250' in elevation which is why u sometimes see that on radar.

Edit: saw you corrected it.

I'm inclined to agree. OKX is going 37 here tomorrow. I'll be surprised if we're warmer than 34 when precip arrives. I don't see rain on the shoreline except maybe beaches in New London County. Maybe we warm enough that ratios are crap for a time which hurts totals. But I expect snow.

4-7" I'm going. Maybe more of lucky. Enjoy neighbor!

Albany about to blow another forecast for here I think.

They'll likely issue a WWA. You should only need about .3" liquid to reach advisory criteria. That is at or below current model consensus.

You could even make an argument that it is reasonable to hoist a Watch for Litchfield if you considered .4 - .5" liquid with 15:1 ratios (prob too high) and the gradual but steady shift in QPF field to the NW. A watch reflects the possibility, not the likelihood. I think that argument would lose though. WWA for sure.

This is from Albany's AFD. Any thoughts on this regarding ratios for SNE (or CNE per Matt Noyes' map)? TIA.

DESPITE PASSING BY WELL TO THE SOUTH...THE UPPER LEVEL TROF

ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING ENOUGH MOISTURE AND LIFT TO

THE REGION TO PRODUCE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS IN THE 2 TO 4 INCH RANGE...

WITH SOME AREAS LIKELY TO GET UP TO 5 INCHES. HAVE CHOSEN TO KEEP

ACCUMULATIONS IN THE 2 TO 4 INCH RANGE AND NOT ISSUE ANY ADVISORIES

AT THIS TIME. WITH TEMPS SO COLD (NO THREAT OF ANY MIXED PCPN)...

WOULD EXPECT A FAIRLY HIGH SNOW TO WATER RATIO WITH THIS SNOWFALL...

BUT MODELS INDICATE THAT FACTORS NEEDED TO PRODUCE GOOD DENDRITIC

SNOW GROWTH WILL NOT BE IN THE OPTIMAL RANGE AND SNOW RATIOS MAY

REMAIN IN THE 10/12 TO ONE RANGE RATHER 15 TO ONE OR MORE.

THUS...DESPITE MODEL LIQUID EQUIVALENT AMOUNTS RANGING FROM TWO

TENTHS TO FOUR TENTHS...HAVE OPTED TO KEEP SNOWFALL TOTALS BELOW

ADVISORY LEVELS.

Uh they have you in 2-4, whats the problem?

ah I was looking at the point-n-crap, not the map

• Saturday Snow, mainly after 11am. High near 30. Calm wind becoming northeast around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
  • Saturday Night Snow, mainly before midnight. Low around 21. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation less than one half inch possible.

forecasting 1-3, the last time they did that I got 7 though so it's all good. I think most of CT except for EXTREME NW CT is good for 2-5, more obviously as you go east.

that and they refuse to issue a WWA for now. It worked out well last time though :lol:

Not sure what your WWA criteria is. Might be different than the rest of the state like warning criteria. Plus if they don't feel enough of the county will reach criteria, then they can't or won't issue it.

funny, that winter storm warning would have verified the other night. how did you do the other night? 1" washed away by 36* rain?

Actually I don't think the WSW would have verified, at least not the way they score it. Meeting criteria in one spot isn't enough to do it. Unless you can say for sure that at least half your county got 7 inches, then it was a good call by them.

Not sure what your WWA criteria is. Might be different than the rest of the state like warning criteria. Plus if they don't feel enough of the county will reach criteria, then they can't or won't issue it.

we'll see what happens, I don't actually care that much whether they have us into a WWA or not lol. Won't change what happens.

Maybe we can start a separate thread for analysis / model disc. and use this as "banter"?

Well, we've only got 1.5 model runs to go, so perhaps we can continue with this until show time and then go straight to an observations thread. There won't be any analysis until the SREF/NAM this evening anyway.

Archived