amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 26-27th Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few things make me happier than seeing 10-20 inches in the ski areas, GC, and many areas of New England. Awesome news for the winter dependent economy. 65% of the country has snow cover tonight. Very impressive, the cold coming is also perfect. No rainstorms in sight, an over performer for many of us last night too. What a difference a year makes.

Yeah dude... just awesome out there. What a fun storm.

Dumping in town this morning.

The mountains have just gotten crushed lately. Definitely not last year :)

I've measured 55" in 12 days at 3,000ft.

The backyard looks sweet now with 14-15 inch snowpack as of 6pm.

post-352-0-97552100-1356649775.jpg

Wonder what the water equiv was. Dense stuff

Just a little sleet and rain around 10AM. All snow otherwise

Well ORH has put 1.3" of qpf in the bucket so far this storm. So about a 5 to 1 ratio. This stuff is densely waterlogged. Some sleet in there and now whatever was mushy is freezing solid.

With the colder pattern coming up and chances to add more snow...we'll have snow pack for a quite a while I imagine. Longer than any stretch last winter where we were stuggling to keep it around for a week to 10 days at a time...and basically nada in December.

Well, winding down here now. Ended up with 12", maybe a bit more. I think I felt a few pingers at around 4:00, but aside from that we were taint-free. I topped out just shy of 31, and with the passage of the low we've dropped back into the 20s. Wonderful over-performer; I can't remember the last time this area was the jackpot.

Amazing how big the plow piles get when it is such a dense paste. Looks like a 2 foot storm on the sides of some roads/parking lots

Kids are out having a blast in this. Skipping skiing tonight

Yeah I love the jagged snowbanks and piles after paste storms. Always looks a lot more impressive than if we had gotten 10-12" of powder....even though I had a little over 6 inches in this one.

This also builds a really nice base to the pack for powdery snow to fall on top of it.

Well, winding down here now. Ended up with 12", maybe a bit more. I think I felt a few pingers at around 4:00, but aside from that we were taint-free. I topped out just shy of 31, and with the passage of the low we've dropped back into the 20s. Wonderful over-performer; I can't remember the last time this area was the jackpot.

You looked really good on the late models last night, glad it worked out. I saw that Portland asos had some pingers...was wondering how you did. Congrats, really looking forward to seeing snow this year on my trip north Friday!

Great storm, just some sn- dusting the cars now. We came in right at the high end of where Box had us on their map. I measured 10.5 total. With compaction we have about 8" otg now and it is a very solid snow pack. Good news.

This is the first snow storm that the boy has really been able to appreciate. Last year he was still to young. He was a little inimidated by the snow but we've got years to work on that. lol

Archived