amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 26-27th Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great storm, just some sn- dusting the cars now. We came in right at the high end of where Box had us on their map. I measured 10.5 total. With compaction we have about 8" otg now and it is a very solid snow pack. Good news.

This is the first snow storm that the boy has really been able to appreciate. Last year he was still to young. He was a little inimidated by the snow but we've got years to work on that. lol

Awesome!

Next time, put him in a sled and take a pic like you abandoned him on some street in ORH...

Kids love snow...we love snow...ergo, we are still kids

I might be able to get to 9.0"

A little less than I had thought for you...figured you could get to 10-11"...and I would be 8-9"....I should make it to 7" with another 30-45 min of this. Overall still a pretty decent storm and within the forecast ranges BOX had and what I thought. Just ended up a bit on the lower side...I figured 6-10 here.

But I'm not complaining, if we always hit the higher side of ranges, then the forecasts would have something wrong with them. Only made it to 33F today too so that kept melting to a minimum. The snow just got mushy and compacted some but never really melted much. Frozen solid now with a bit of powder on top of it now blowing around.

Snow has stopped for the time being, we'll see if we get any NW flow snow showers later.

Final snowfall at my house in town looks to be 12.3". A nice, solid snowstorm and fun one to watch unfold. Really had no idea what to expect. Snow growth was decent at times, but a good deal of the storm was small-ish flakes (typically in WAA aloft events) and clumps of needles. The snow is dry, but dense. I'd imagine there's probably a solid 1" of QPF in that 12.3" of snow.

Snow depth is 15"...had 5-6" of fluff on the ground prior to this storm, but that fluff probably got crushed by this synoptic snow.

Have pennied and nickeled my way to 4.6"...one last "hurrah" now. This may go down as 24hrs of light snow.

thats awful. I havent measured recently but i have about 8. I think the 12z gyx sounding explains a lot. Dry air in the sgz at a time we were supposed to be ripping. I dont think we shook it all day. If you werent in a good upslope area or near the coastal front, you were likely disappointed.

and i cant believe berwick me is close to the jackpot up here at the moment, lol.

The nam was as bad as i've seen it.

In relation to the convo we had the other night, the NAM got me up to around 42F for the high today about 24h out....verification was 33F. The model is pretty much unusable right now. Something is wrong with it...they gotta figure out what it is. It never used to be this bad. It always had its problems but torching the boundayr layer was never one of them in CAD setups. That was one of the features it was most useful for.

I first noticed the NAM ****ting the bed in the 12/1 deal here as the GFS was colder iirc. I remember commenting on the seeming to be way too warm, even in that set up.

Yeah that seemed to be the start of its problems. I didn't notice it so bad in November, but perhaps I just wasn't paying as close attention. But in the Nov snow events it didn't seem ridiculously warm from what I recall.

The 12/1 event was horrific...it had like 12F bust here that day on a 12 hour forecast. That is usually reserved for the GFS in extreme CAD setups...but even the GFS usually won't bust quite that bad (it came close in the Dec 2008 ice storm though). When the GFS is sticking it to the NAM for boundary layer temps, something is seriously wrong.

BOS down to 30F....that's nasty. Gonna be a ton of black ice. Everything here has turned to black ice with a minor accumulation of snow on top of it. Nasty nasty drving conditions.

The sicko that I am, I was out grilling with a beer, and it is brutal. Lots of wind to boot. Some better flakes now with this heavier echo moving through.

Archived