• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
**BANTER THREAD** Rolling into active period...wintry potential increasing, so are toaster sales

ORH_wxman

I would look at Sugarloaf as Ginxy suggests. 90 minutes further N but possibly some better deals and epic mountain. No offense to PF (Lol) but my favorite area in NE and if there is enough snow to open the Bracket Basin you will be in awe.

Haha if I wasn't at Stowe, I'd be at Sugarloaf. Huge terrain, big vertical, great snow in the right pattern (like now), and now with Bracket Basin, the place is gaining some serious steam in the expert/sidecountry market. An awesome hardcore local ski community and one of (if not the) most atheistically pleasing looking mountains in the east.

Sugarloaf over Sunday River in terms of raw terrain...not even really close, though there's certainly other stuff Sunday River excels at like snowmaking/grooming and more family friendly.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the 12z CMC is onto something, it's sniffing out an even more potent arctic front over the eastern Canada region and swings it southeastward. If this front swings through the region first before the massive storm, we will get frigrid air. Also with the -NAO west based block setting up south of the Davis Straits and east of Hudson Bay, models are having a difficult time deciding where this block sets up for our storm.

IE: I think we get a GOM low that rides NEward towards the OH Valley and then transfers to the VA Capes and then northeastward towards the BM bringing one heck of a giant snowstorm to most of the Mid Atlantic and Northeast, followed up with another major storm system three days later. Also there is the potential seen by the 12z CMC and 18z GFS of exta energy moving through the flow south of the PV flow through the region, could bring some snow showers for Christmas day.

We were heading to Conway for NYE, may pull the plug and head towards Sunday River. I can do without staring at bare ground again this year.

well let me be clear there was plenty of snow cover in conway and north conway and the trees in glen and bartlett still have snow on them, i was saying i was driving looking for snow (falling from the sky) and along the way, there bareground was only from say w jefferson and from some junction SW toward twin mountain over to mt washington hotel) but ya woods near attitash and wildcat had plenty.

you know your a weenie when u opt to drive 15 miles for breakfast @ yesterday's in jackson instead of 1 mile down the road to peaches in hopes to see some flakes. and when that didn't work out as it was 34f rain w occasional scooter catpaw thrown in , i figured head north and gain elevation and you can't go wrong.

Pickles, you are a snow lovin. weenie

Dave, that is the truth. You know i was awake on sun nite till 345 am waiting for the Coastal front to move back thru my town. I went out to the car at 330 am , and my gfwoke up and is like " you went out to see the presents i have for you in the car" , "no i went out to check the freakin temperature", and i smiled mostly because it drop'd 5 degrees to 31F.

if it doesn't snow in my town i will drive to it, somehow, someway.

Winds picked up smartly the past hour or so. Nothing tremendous, but just gusted from the NW at 18 with my crappy siting. The sound of the wind gives an indication that the actual is higher. Also, see that the total from Sunday through today was 1.44". Not too shabby--if only the column had cooperated. Regardless, deck is still ice-covered and lots of ice remains on the lawn

Temp spiked up 3* to 38 between 9:00 and 9:30. Appear to be descending again--hoping for some refreeze of the open areas and flakes overnight..

Edit: cancel flake hopes--looks like full, star-lit sky out there with the wind gusting nicely. Down to 36.5/34.

Posted this in the white Christmas thread--not really sure where to post things among the three seemingly appropriate options.

BOX is offering a Secret Santa gift. But the secret is to whom will it be given???

SAT AND SUN...

LOW PRES BECOMES VERTICALLY STACKED AND OCCLUDES AND WEAKENS IN

NEAR PROXIMITY TO SRN NEW ENGLAND THROUGH THE PERIOD. WITH ENOUGH

ENERGY ALOFT AND TRAPPED MOISTURE IN THE SYSTEM...A PERIOD OF

SHOWERY AND UNSETTLED WX WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

HOWEVER...A COLD AIRMASS WILL BE MOVING OVER WITH THE CUTOFF

SYSTEM...SO A TRANSITION TOWARD WINTRY PRECIP IS LIKELY.

THEREFORE...LOOKS LIKE SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW SHOWERS ARE A GOOD

BET THROUGH THE PERIOD. GIVEN THE SHOWERY NATURE AND UNCERTAINTY

REGARDING THE LOW PRES MOVEMENT THERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS AS TO

WHERE THE BEST ACCUMULATION OCCURS.

Temps stayed warmer than I had expected last night.

35.6/30, winds gusting over 20mph so far.

We really need that storm to come around for the mental health of the board. What did the euro ensemble say?

They look better, a more wintry appeal, although they still introduce some mix to the south and southwest. It's still far so it should be of those deals where you look at it and go "ok cool..we'll see how it goes...." I certainly like this potential a lot more than Kevin's day 8 euro fantasy from last week. For now it favors the interior.

They look better, a more wintry appeal, although they still introduce some mix to the south and southwest. It's still far so it should be of those deals where you look at it and go "ok cool..we'll see how it goes...." I certainly like this potential a lot more than Kevin's day 8 euro fantasy from last week. For now it favors the interior.

Thanks. I just don't want to see a op Gfs type scenario from 0z. Huge ski week for a ton of people, a region wide flooding rain was just sad to see modeled.

It will probably end up being somewhere between storm 1 and 2 this week in terms of temps.

Posted this in the white Christmas thread--not really sure where to post things among the three seemingly appropriate options.

BOX is offering a Secret Santa gift. But the secret is to whom will it be given???

SAT AND SUN...

LOW PRES BECOMES VERTICALLY STACKED AND OCCLUDES AND WEAKENS IN

NEAR PROXIMITY TO SRN NEW ENGLAND THROUGH THE PERIOD. WITH ENOUGH

ENERGY ALOFT AND TRAPPED MOISTURE IN THE SYSTEM...A PERIOD OF

SHOWERY AND UNSETTLED WX WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

HOWEVER...A COLD AIRMASS WILL BE MOVING OVER WITH THE CUTOFF

SYSTEM...SO A TRANSITION TOWARD WINTRY PRECIP IS LIKELY.

THEREFORE...LOOKS LIKE SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW SHOWERS ARE A GOOD

BET THROUGH THE PERIOD. GIVEN THE SHOWERY NATURE AND UNCERTAINTY

REGARDING THE LOW PRES MOVEMENT THERE ARE SOME QUESTIONS AS TO

WHERE THE BEST ACCUMULATION OCCURS.

Temps stayed warmer than I had expected last night.

35.6/30, winds gusting over 20mph so far.

Looks like BOX is jumping onto the upslope potential in the wake of the next low pressure system. Ironically, it's actually a bit better for us if the stacked low is a bit further north as opposed to directly overhead since that would result in a stronger W to NW wind and better cross barrier flow. If it's overhead, winds will be light and variable. That said, 00Z Euro looks a little better for the upslope machine than the GFS as GFS was a bit further south with the low as it moves SE over us.

I think even outside of the orographically favored areas, there could be enough lift and instability with the ULL to produce some snow showers. This is more likely if the low tracks further south as this would lead to better overall synoptic lift in SNE. Obviously the best chance for accumulation is in the higher terrain though.

The upslope machine was busy here until about 6 AM last night and this morning with a steady light rain/snow mix at 33° F. We probably would've had 2-3" of snow if we had even seasonable temperatures. The hills above 1.5K are all white this morning as they were just cold enough for some accumulation.

Archived