gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty amazing differences from 12z GFS to 6z GFS today...

6z GFS doesn't have a closed low coming from the west and has a nice block just north of Canada, we would obviously be rooting for the block to sag further south but hopefully atleast the mountains and TN can cash in....

06zgfs500mbvort150.gif

Pretty amazing differences from 12z GFS to 6z GFS today...

6z GFS doesn't have a closed low coming from the west and has a nice block just north of Canada, we would obviously be rooting for the block to sag further south but hopefully atleast the mountains and TN can cash in....

06zgfs500mbvort150.gif

I agree that it would be nice to have the block and confluence zone set up farther south. But I would also like to see a potent area of high pressure start to show up around the Lakes or the northeast. We will need that feature if we want to have a shot at a winter storm around here.

Yep...going to be a big rain maker....but hey it looks to not go to the lakes.

haha I knew you would strike through it. This thing is cutting hard at 162. Oh well, I can't imagine the 18z trending toward what we want...will have to wait for the 0z tonight. Can't wait to see which side the Euro is on.

Heartland gets crushed on this run...hey at least if this verifies it puts lots of snow cover down...

That's a great point - whether or not one buys into the "Snow Pack Paradigm", it shouldn't go without saying that an effective cold air transport usually begins with the least amount of obstacles. If winter is to amp up for the SE, you'll want that upper-mid/ mid west snow pack on your side.

but how does that low cut into a 1033 high just above it? still makes no sense to me synoptically

It moves out the upper low and the associated upper confluence which would both anchor the high in place and force the storm to remain more suppressed. As the upper low and confluence zone depart/weaken, the storm can gain latitude. Now, whether it plays out that way is another matter altogether.

GFS chock full of lake cutters and app runners this go around

Definitely ugly...trough in the west and ridge in the east to start the New Year. I feel like we have been watching the same setup for weeks now and it just recycles, it's like groundhog day. But the weeklies/CFS say January is going to be cold/wet for the SE..... :yikes:

12zgfs500mbHGHTNH300.gif

While showing rain on the 12/26'ish storm for the SE, I think there was a significant development on the 12z GFS for CAD regions that nobody has mentioned. I beleive this is the first GFS run in quite some time that shows some development or lobe of high pressure in a key area in the 12/25-27 time frame. In this case, theres a 1032 hp that stays set up in southwestern Quebec. The GFS also appears to try to put out a CAD signature, but it isn't quite there. I think this is something to watch in future runs.

TW

Archived