amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good grief.... just for giggles, check out the difference at 500mb between the 0z and the 6z....valid at 12z Wednesday morning.

0z run...

6z run...

Good grief is correct :yikes: on the surface it shifted about 800 miles south and could maybe be argued is a look we REALLY want to see this far out (for the energy behind it). Lol good luck with forecasting this one Matt

Yeah, you wonder what the model sees 6 hours later that causes it to weaken the system and just push it off the Carolina coast.

As Matt showed it's just latching on to a different piece of energy. We really need the system to our west to get out of the way so that the actual players are on the field and the models can get their stuff together.

Well, this proves HKYWX and others' points that the models are really struggling with this pattern change. Even having said that, those two runs are a pretty stinging indictment of the accuracy of weather models -- to go from a three-counter low to .... nothing, in just one run in the 6-day timeframe is pretty pathetic.

Well, this proves HKYWX and others' points that the models are really struggling with this pattern change. Even having said that, those two runs are a pretty stinging indictment of the accuracy of weather models -- to go from a three-counter low to .... nothing, in just one run in the 6-day timeframe is pretty pathetic.

I've been meaning to say that for a while. We see this every year so it shouldn't be surprise anymore. Any time you see the models flopping like a fish you can bet good money on the fact that a pattern change is coming. Right now all of the teleconnections (except PNA... we're working on that!) are looking awesome. Patience. Have fun watching the models but use them for amuesment past 3 days. Once you see them locking down on solutions past 5-7 days, you'll know.

I was hoping the Christmas storm didn't pan out for us here in Atlanta because I'm going to be in Sarasota for a few days after Christmas... didn't want to miss anything! :snowing:

Good grief is correct :yikes: on the surface it shifted about 800 miles south and could maybe be argued is a look we REALLY want to see this far out (for the energy behind it). Lol good luck with forecasting this one Matt

Hahaha....thanks. If it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun....

So, throw this run out, or is it a trend?

Hard to tell....let's get another run in...

I have been harping on this for a while. The pattern remains very chaotic.... energy flying around everywhere. You get a different vort amplifying on nearly every run.... this is the same reason you have big shot of cold air on some runs and barely any on others.

FWIW, there looked to be 2 members of the 00Z GFS ensembles that would have given KRDU snow with the 12/26 event, and 2 completely different members from the 06z run that also did, with one of those suffering from some pretty severe convective feedback issues. In other words, it doesn't appear any trends are developing, at least not yet. It also would be quite rare for the 06z run of the GFS to start a trend due to less data getting sampled in it than the other runs of the model, so I would think more than likely this was just a hiccup -- one of many for the models recently!

Not from what I can see...a hair too late.

I lookeda t the wunderground euro and its showing some accums north of I40 in west and middle tn. But it looks like a decent plume of lakes moisture coming in with the NW flow that should yield some decent snow showers as well on wed into thursday next week.

I lookeda t the wunderground euro and its showing some accums north of I40 in west and middle tn. But it looks like a decent plume of lakes moisture coming in with the NW flow that should yield some decent snow showers as well on wed into thursday next week.

Sorry...not for MEM.....yeah...I could see NW TN W KY....but give it a run and it will change....

Archived