Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Jon! For some reason I've never been able to get Raleigh's loops to run for me. Probably Java related. Guess, I'll stick with what I've got, since the good stuff never comes until way out in the "it won't happen as depicted" range, lol. I like that the Gfs long range is now showing some fun storms. So unlike last year. I predicted zrain the first week, or so, of Jan. in the guess the storm thread, so I'm not out of the running yet, Don't much think it will be before Xmas down here, from the last few days runs. Tony

Just search google and update java, that should work. Sometimes my java gets inabled on Firefox because Firefox detects a vulnerability. So maybe you just have to enable Javascript on your browser...who knows! But Allan's maps are the best, in my opinion. I have storm vista but only use it for the Euro mostly.

Thanks, Jon! For some reason I've never been able to get Raleigh's loops to run for me. Probably Java related. Guess, I'll stick with what I've got, since the good stuff never comes until way out in the "it won't happen as depicted" range, lol. I like that the Gfs long range is now showing some fun storms. So unlike last year. I predicted zrain the first week, or so, of Jan. in the guess the storm thread, so I'm not out of the running yet, Don't much think it will be before Xmas down here, from the last few days runs. Tony

Use the beta model site... we have loops of Allan's maps that do not run on Java

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/page/models/home

500 low moves NNE up the western side of the Apps and into Canada through 210 hrs....

Seems as if we are seeing a trend south and east. If this is a real trend, it makes you wonder how much further it can go............It wouldn't take much more to put a LOT more people in the ballgame (for at least back end/wrap around wintry weather.

I am more interested in the period after the storm right after Christmas (for the potential of a widespread winterstorm), but this one all the sudden has potential for someone. Will be interesting to see what occurs. I am guessing the blocking is trending stronger. The high pressure to the northwest appears to be strong "enough" for someone on the northwest side of this (even down into parts of the south/midsouth).

Coincidence?? Cold Rain starts our January thread and evidently he has the power to alter our late December storm too? I am beginning to wonder about that guy...................

I have updated the model beta site with a few new features as we continue progressing with it. The first big one is a CACHEBUSTER! No more old maps being pulled out of your cache folder. The second is marking off hours which are not available yet as a model run comes in (only available on the GFS right now.)

Euro getting into the LR doesn't look too far off from the GFS at least out to 222.

Yep, the 12Z Euro also has that Pacific low diving SEward days 7-9 just off the west coast and getting into position to turn eastward and potentially reach the SE ~1/1. The difference is that the Euro doesn't have it nearly as cold as the 12Z GFS in the SE. Hopefully, the Euro is wrong about the lack of cold then, but who knows?

Per DT for those interested.

"KY especially eastern KY and central and eastern TN get crushed with snow WVA is r/s mix total snow.. snow gets hammered as well as western PA and western half of NY state.

There is a REASON why the 12z operational Eur is INLAND like thus... GEEK TALKS HERE... the big peice of energy or the short wave over the Delta goes " negative ".. takes on a NW to SE alignment so the Low comes inland on the euro. The 12z GFS has this happening BUT its over AL so the surface Low is much further east"

Per DT for those interested.

"KY especially eastern KY and central and eastern TN get crushed with snow WVA is r/s mix total snow.. snow gets hammered as well as western PA and western half of NY state.

There is a REASON why the 12z operational Eur is INLAND like thus... GEEK TALKS HERE... the big peice of energy or the short wave over the Delta goes " negative ".. takes on a NW to SE alignment so the Low comes inland on the euro. The 12z GFS has this happening BUT its over AL so the surface Low is much further east"

Some people don't know their geography super well...However, it really is too early for details...

Some people don't know their geography super well...However, it really is too early for details...

While I agree on the details AND geography part..............this is the second EURO solution in a row, with support from other operationals and ensembles so I believe models are beginning to zero in on a "legitimate" solution. Sure models will shift - but this is in the EURO's wheelhouse......at 144. Time will tell.

I'm closing in on the totals the Gfs gave me for this storm. Based on recent successes, I'm beginning to think most storms that it shows inside of 7 days have merit, for rain anyway. I can't tell you how many times over recent years it would show a half inch to and inch and I'd get a few hundreths, if a storm actually appeared. Lately, its been on the mark. I think that is worth repeating, because this is a huge pattern change..for me, anyway. T

While I agree on the details AND geography part..............this is the second EURO solution in a row, with support from other operationals and ensembles so I believe models are beginning to zero in on a "legitimate" solution. Sure models will shift - but this is in the EURO's wheelhouse......at 144. Time will tell.

100 miles will make a huge difference is all I mean...if you are in BNA in the wheel house right now, you might be PO'd if you just got a little glop in the aftermath....

Archived