Newest Member
    joxey
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gusts to 111mph Forecasted for Grandfather Mountain:

..THE FORECAST FOR GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN NC AT 5946 FT..

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST SATURDAY.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO

MIDNIGHT EST FRIDAY NIGHT...

.REST OF TONIGHT...CLOUDY. RAIN UNTIL MIDNIGHT. SNOW LIKELY THROUGH

THE NIGHT. LOWS IN THE MID TEENS. WEST WINDS 40 TO 45 MPH. GUSTS UP

TO 77 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AROUND ZERO AFTER MIDNIGHT.

.FRIDAY...CLOUDY. SNOW LIKELY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER TEENS. WEST WINDS

45 TO 50 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 87 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE SINGLE

DIGITS BELOW ZERO.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY.

A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE UPPER TEENS. NORTHWEST WINDS

60 TO 65 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 104 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE SINGLE

DIGITS BELOW ZERO.

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S. NORTHWEST WINDS

60 TO 65 MPH...DECREASING TO 55 TO 60 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. GUSTS UP

TO 111 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE LOWER TEENS IN THE MORNING.

I just checked the Euro - it's very nice for Middle TN and northern MS and AL, and then takes the storm through KY and OH for the main deformation band. It's setting up 6-12" in a band from middle TN through southern OH. The band on the Euro is awfully narrow though (only 150 miles) so any change in the track could really change who gets hammered and who doesn't.

I'm kind of thinking that we ought to weigh models at certain ranges the way Nate Silver weighed polls for certain areas. The Euro has very strong weight at this timeframe, and the GFS not so much. The GFS ensembles have more weight (and you could give a little weight to each ensemble member). The GFS is going to have trouble with this until Saturday I'm thinking, and maybe until Sunday or Monday. Then we could give the GFS more weight.

If we look at possible tracks of the Low based on the Euro, we get a much narrower swath than if we looked at the GFS ensemble members or from run to run.

As of this time, I think anyone from north MS to AL and GA, NC, (possibly upstate SC) and all of TN should be watching this.

Also, WATE in Knoxville is forecasting light accumulation tonight even in the valley. I think this is overdone but who knows what I'll wake up to. There's a nice slug of moisture over IN and KY pinwheeling around right now.

704985638.jpg?key=1280720&Expires=1356058733&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=fmpE~WjZqERzNg41kwu63No0~REYMCiC2z4w1N1xyd~PWlU1zbHknVjMlxu0EHts39beowaHopdSaUetlUcGJCjRkLso6C8yVE3DDZ3VZCmTbO4YPd3~auxbyvLAAQ3IBiaYHfJUCIgHYhdiUuFz962kEzbhOszjNKQNmUBk~dw_

EDIT: MRX just bumped us up to 50% chance of snow showers tonight.

I'm not sure if Cold Rain wants his name on this one. Looking at the 18z GFS Ensemble members, you can see that the OP was an outlier with respect to the snow being that far southeast.

Agreed. Some of the members were absolutely ridiculous in the long range...

However, closer to home:

http://raleighwx.ame...8zsnowf162.html

A lot of them have a track similar to the 12z Euro.

Also, WATE in Knoxville is forecasting light accumulation tonight even in the valley. I think this is overdone but who knows what I'll wake up to. There's a nice slug of moisture over IN and KY pinwheeling around right now.

It looks like it primarily has a west to east trajectory so I am guessing the deeper moisture stays north for the most part, with the exception of the higher elevation west facing slopes.

I'm not sure if Cold Rain wants his name on this one. Looking at the 18z GFS Ensemble members, you can see that the OP was an outlier with respect to the snow being that far southeast.

It would be rather shocking if 0z wasn't NW of 18z, maybe not as much as Euro but several 18z members were that far west.

It would be rather shocking if 0z wasn't NW of 18z, maybe not as much as Euro but several 18z members were that far west.

I agree, but at the same time, I'm surprised it's made it this far. I think beanskip is right that the upper wave closed off just at the right time (late)...there was a vort max digging into the back of the trough that seemed to delay it's closing.

I can't remember the last time we had anything significant around the first of January so maybe we are overdue. Thanks for the info!

Here is one of my favorites. It was a good one in Altlanta, though I don't remember the totals. Mid Town got a bunch, and it froze down. I've seen zrain/ip/sn on the ground New Years eve 3 times I can remember, and I might be running two together, but I don't think so. I think the two lesser events were just a few years apart, and maybe all where in the 60's...but Larry will know. But 63 was the best one in Atl. Tony

Doh!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year%27s_Eve_1963_snowstorm

Here is one of my favorites. It was a good one in Altlanta, though I don't remember the totals. Mid Town got a bunch, and it froze down. I've seen zrain/ip/sn on the ground New Years eve 3 times I can remember, and I might be running two together, but I don't think so. I think the two lesser events were just a few years apart, and maybe all where in the 60's...but Larry will know. But 63 was the best one in Atl. Tony

Doh!! http://en.wikipedia...._1963_snowstorm

Tony,

The airport got 2.2" S/IP from 1.50" of liquid (wow, very wet storm!), mostly on 12/31. I think that the city may have gotten 3" or maybe even a little more. About what % of this was ZR? IP? S? Any plain rain?

Others per airport data:

- 12/31/1961: 1" of snow from .15" liquid; high of 40 and low of 30

-1/1/60: trace of S/IP from 0.16" liquid; high of 37 and low of 33

Are those the two?

Woah, it's awesome to be back on a weather forum for the first time in years! Also, the familiar faces are awesome too. Glad I found the SE Crew just before the end of the world! Hope everyone is having a great holiday season. :)

I don't really have much to add to the disco, I just wanted to say hello to everyone! I'll be around. :) The wind is starting to pick up from this front, that's for sure!

Tony,

The airport got 2.2" S/IP from 1.50" of liquid (wow, very wet storm!), mostly on 12/31. I think that the city may have gotten 3" or maybe even a little more. About what % of this was ZR? IP? S? Any plain rain?

Others per airport data:

- 12/31/1961: 1" of snow from .15" liquid; high of 40 and low of 30

-1/1/60: trace of S/IP from 0.16" liquid; high of 37 and low of 33

Are those the two?

Sorry, Larry, I only just found this. The good one was all sleet and snow, as I remember it. And it froze down after, and it was 3 to 3 1/2 around Highland and Va. in midtown. A lot of sleet...another favorite for that reason, but there was some snow. I can't picture it falling, but remember being out in it after if froze down...walking up to the Highland Theater one night, as we couldn't go driving (parents cars) :) And it was sleet crunchy, not frozen snow/break though the crust, crunchy. Don't remember any zrain, or rain, and I always hate it when rain crashes the show, though I understand now how close to rain and zrain I have to be to get my beloved sleet. There usually is some zrain mixing in, but it wouldn't have been much. It was a good fall, as no one was out driving when we walked to the theater. I would have been 16, and going out in the car would have been more important than sleet and snow...I know, I know, the ignorance of youth, lol. Even today, I regret not having enjoyed it more....but who knew it would be so hard to get a repeat, when you are 16.

Not sure about the others, but I know I've always thought around New Years was a propitious time for something frozen after the 60's. Don't have much memory of the other times, and it was just some snow on the sides of the roads kind of thing in my memory, so it would have fallen a day or two before. And probably after 63, and not as good as the good one, lol.

Thinking about it, 1.5 would have been around 3 or 4 inches of sleet, so it could have been mostly sleet, I guess, but the way I see it in my minds eye, it wasn't a pure sleet storm, and it wasn't as deep as the late 70's sweet, big sleet, but close. Tony

Archived