• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December Forecast Discussion

Wow

Throws a bomb out there at 204, and goes right over Charlotte. Of course after the model truncates but verbatim this would hammer WNC, Tn, and a good portion of Ga...Sorry RDU, nothing but a good rain storm on this run.

Edit: Sorry my SC peeps, part of y'all get in on this also.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this storm plausible from this pattern?

I would say so...The main difference w/ this run is the system didn't close off over Tx. Over the years I've never seen a closed ULL in Tx. make it to the east coast. They always go inland. Now I'm not saying that can't happen, I'm just saying I've never seen it since following the models. This run of the gfs didn't close the system off and therefore was able to bring it further east before going negative.

I would say so...The main difference w/ this run is the system didn't close off over Tx. Over the years I've never seen a closed ULL in Tx. make it to the east coast. They always go inland. Now I'm not saying that can't happen, I'm just saying I've never seen it since following the models. This run of the gfs didn't close the system off and therefore was able to bring it further east before going negative.

Agree that's it's rare, but it happened with both 02/26/04 and 03/02/10

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2004/us0225.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2010/us0301.php

Throws a bomb out there at 204, and goes right over Charlotte. Of course after the model truncates but verbatim this would hammer WNC, Tn, and a good portion of Ga...Sorry RDU, nothing but a good rain storm on this run.

Like I always say "It's an honor just to be nominated". :)

Yep. It has the look of one of those storms where it is pushing 60 in Raleigh while Greensboro is around freezing.

Like I always say "It's an honor just to be nominated". :)

Lol, I hope I live long enough to see a string of goofy range bombs verify :) At least it went back positive, instead of getting worse than the last run. I used to think the 0z was the only one that counts, but after reading that all the runs are of equal value as far as input, I realize now it is capable of pulling 18z crazy storms out of the hat too. But some time, the law of averages says, the long range will verify a couple of bombs like this, and I'd love to see it. Maybe two 93's and a 73 Macon bowling ball one right after another. Robert speaks of a string of amazing storms like that in NC, in the 60's or 80's , I think. I remember seeing photo's of snow up to roofs. T

The GFS ensembles are interesting similar to the EURO ensembles. Several of those members are certainly icestorm material.

f168.gif

And then i see this ensemble mean and i say to myself, how can that vort in the southwest go anywhere but the tn valley and be forced to redevelop. The blocking scheme just screams miller b to me.

f180.gif

0z meantest8.gif

Alot of consensus centered around an apps runner scenerio looking at all the ensemble and operational solutions from 0z/6z. I'll hold out hope till this weekend after the front gets by us Friday and the table gets set up to our north. Regradless it should get bone chilling cold all across SE as we close out 2012 and head into 2013.

Archived