Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 Obs

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be cold/normal feeling over the holidays. 18z gfs keeps the theme going. I think when we look back at this winter season in the spring, one of the overridding memories is gonna be the # of Noreasters. We have already expierenced 2 (Sandy, and the noreaster 6 days after). I beleive 1996 was the last year I recall that seemed to feature an above average quantity of these.

18zGFS11-15day850mbTempAnomalyNA.gif

We've had numerous reports of sleet/graupel in Eastern Alabama this afternoon. Heck! I saw some sleet in Columbus around 6:30 this evening. I get home and settle in to watch some Netflix and I see a flash outside. I was like No..... Can't be! It couldn't have been! Sure enough... It was lightning and thunder! A mini thunderstorm popped up and dropped some hail (No, Tony.... I didn't see it. I missed out AGAIN!) and some sleet. I. LOVE. WEATHER!

I'm looking with envy at all that rain that has fallen just to my east. Nary a drop here in Hickory today, but it appeared on radar that nearby towns such as Statesville, Moorseville, Lincolnton, and Gastonia all picked up measurable rain.

:axe:

been a steady rain along the coast all day. Pouring here as I type. We've gotten over 1/2", which is about a 1/2" more than we've gotten in December so far.

Ok no lie we pulled up at the ultrasound place to find out what we are having and it sleet/graupel for about 2 mins in auburn, al. Oh by the way I am getting my first lil boy. Just thought so awesome cause I love winter weather.

Congrats! :) That's awesome to find out while there's sleet/graupel falling. Also, welcome to the board! Auburn is a great college town.

ice pellets mixed with rain here in Marietta!

Special Statement SPE.gif

Statement as of 5:46 PM EST on December 12, 2012

Some isolated to scattered shower development may include brief

periods of small hail or ice pellets this evening. Any hail or ice

pellets should generally be pea size or smaller. An isolated

lightning strike may also be possible.

I'm looking with envy at all that rain that has fallen just to my east. Nary a drop here in Hickory today, but it appeared on radar that nearby towns such as Statesville, Moorseville, Lincolnton, and Gastonia all picked up measurable rain.

:axe:

Hardly anything here in Mooresville today so you're not missing much

We've had numerous reports of sleet/graupel in Eastern Alabama this afternoon. Heck! I saw some sleet in Columbus around 6:30 this evening. I get home and settle in to watch some Netflix and I see a flash outside. I was like No..... Can't be! It couldn't have been! Sure enough... It was lightning and thunder! A mini thunderstorm popped up and dropped some hail (No, Tony.... I didn't see it. I missed out AGAIN!) and some sleet. I. LOVE. WEATHER!

So.... how did you do on rain? Looks like this latest was giving you some love, and the one the other day was great here and in Pike Co. Don't worry about the hail, I think you'll be reporting on a central Ga. Cad induced ice monster before long. Just has that feel and look with the gulf wanting to get active, and the cold reluctant to get all the way down. I've seen some highs that look right come and go, and gulf wants to play. Climo would say ok...and if nothing else we get some great rains. Man, I want so bad for us to get well :) And as much as I've been feeling the wind hitting me from the ne, I just think the time is ripe for a duzy, lol. Hope I'm delusional, I hate big zrain. T

well I guess I'll post here since I was deleted on the other thread. As I said before being deleted what looked promising for snow from Dec 23-25 for the NC Mtns. is slowly fading away. Guess I'll have to wait until Jan. for some winter weather. Was hoping to sneak in a little winter weather around Christmas. :cry::sled: Thanks for the deletion on the other thread. I don't post much I enjoy reading the experts opinions more.

Some sort of temp. inversion this am as we are 23.1° in Weaverville but Boone is 35°. Checked the wonder stations and it looks like around 2800ft the temps start to rise.

Boone's temp rise is due to wind. They got down to 19 with a calm wind, but then a little west wind arrived around 5am, pumping temps into the 30s. See the obs below...always interesting..

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KTNB.html

The Gfs is giving me 1 3/4's of rain this next event. It hasn't been too bad on rain lately down here, so I'm interested to seeE how I do. 43 and rain coming. Not too dissimilar from other Decembers. Except we're trying to claw our way out of a drought. Usually I'd take a map this near, to be ok, but I've been burned so much on totals over the last few years, I'm always looking over my shoulder for a dry slot. Since summer I've been under the station, so I could believe, once again, I might see the train. Sure hope so, for me, and Psalm and the CMan. T

Archived