Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2013 Obs

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light band of sleet and snow moved through Kingsport - very light. I can confirm it is frozen. Some rain mixing in here as well. Warm air should work in as the night goes on...but the cold air has been very stubborn today. Forecast hight was 47. We made it to 38 from what I can tell. May warm between now and midnight though. Still, much chillier day than expected.

Light band of sleet and snow moved through Kingsport - very light. I can confirm it is frozen. Some rain mixing in here as well. Warm air should work in as the night goes on...but the cold air has been very stubborn today. Forecast hight was 47. We made it to 38 from what I can tell. May warm between now and midnight though. Still, much chillier day than expected.

Ya the mountains could be in a surprise tonight with this moisture moving in. It has been cloudy here all day and tonight and the temp is really dropping off. Down to 34 degrees and still dropping. They have a low of 33 degrees tonight with 80% chance of rain. I hace seen this before and woke up to about 6-10 inches of snow. Not saying that will happen but we do have a snow pack right now.

Ya the mountains could be in a surprise tonight with this moisture moving in. It has been cloudy here all day and tonight and the temp is really dropping off. Down to 34 degrees and still dropping. They have a low of 33 degrees tonight with 80% chance of rain. I hace seen this before and woke up to about 6-10 inches of snow. Not saying that will happen but we do have a snow pack right now.

Really going to have to watch this one. My current temp is 35.7° with only 64% humidity. Current wet bulb is 31.8°

Really going to have to watch this one. My current temp is 35.7° with only 64% humidity. Current wet bulb is 31.8°

I agree Don things could get tricky around here whenever the moisture moves in tonight.

I don't see any sig. precip moving into the mountains tonight. Correct me if I am wrong.

Well looking at the radar the moisture is steadily moving East into Eastern TN. would not take much to make the roads slick again.

December 2012 provided a welcome change from the dry months of October and November. It was also wetter than 2011 by a couple of inches.

Temperature-wise IMBY, December averaged only 0.4 F greater than 2011. Not exactly a torch by any means, but it was 3.3 F greater than the 30-year normal, as measured at KHKY. (I only have two December measurements at my new house with which to compare to.) The mean December temp at KHKY was 46.5 F, almost 2 F greater than IMBY. Probably large amounts of asphalt, proximity to the lake, jetwash, etc. contribute to their higher reading. Why do we continue to measure these stats at airports when they are naturally going to be much higher than some other location nearby?

Anyway, here are the stats from my PWS for the month of December 2012:

Final December Stats:

Hi Temp: 73.1 F (on 12/03)

Hi Temp Below 50: 10 days

Lo Temp: 23.9 F (on 12/14)

Lo Temp below 32: 10 days

Mean Temp: 44.8 F (compare to 44.4 F from 2011: Not really that different)

Hi Wind Gust: 19.0 mph (on 12/26)

Total Rainfall: 5.34 in (measured rainfall > 0.01 in on 9 different days, compare to 3.73 in from 2011: Not bad!)

Wettest Day: 2.37 in (on 12/26)

Rainfall for Year: 45.31 in (Jan - Dec)

Archived