joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread

dmc76

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want some really negative spin? Say it's Dec 20 and we're still waiting for a significant snow. By that point there's only about 6 weeks before the increasing sun angle becomes noticeable, at least a little bit.

That's why a front loaded winter IMO is the best. Nothing better than getting significant cold anomalies and snowfall to go with the shortest days of the year. You don't get that true winter feeling as you get into February and beyond even with brutal temps and snow because of the sun angle.

Another fun tidbit, not sure if it's time zone dependent or not, but while the winter solstice is the shortest day of the year, the earliest sunset occurs here in early December, this is offset by a sunrise that hits its latest in early January.

I would be interested in seeing that winters autopsy.

Jon

here it is...Detroits least snowy winter on record...1936-37 with a grand total of 12.9".

Oct. 26, 1936: 0.3”

October 1936 snow…………0.3”

Nov. 18, 1936: 0.1”

Nov. 23, 1936: 0.2”

Nov. 25, 1936: 0.7”

Nov. 26, 1936: 0.2”

Nov. 28, 1936: 0.8”

November 1936 snow……….2.0”

Dec. 03, 1936: 0.3”

Dec. 04, 1936: 0.3”

Dec. 06, 1936: 0.2”

Dec. 19, 1936: 0.7”

Dec. 20, 1936: 0.1”

December 1936 snow………..1.6”

Jan. 03, 1937: 0.1”

Jan. 10, 1937: 0.4”

Jan. 15, 1937: 0.4”

Jan. 22, 1937: 3.5”

January 1937 snow………….4.4”

Feb. 02, 1937: 0.1”

Feb. 04, 1937: 0.6”

Feb. 05, 1937: 0.1”

Feb. 14, 1937: 0.4”

Feb. 22, 1937: 0.2”

Feb. 24, 1937: 0.4”

February 1937 snow…………1.8”

Mar. 12, 1937: 0.2”

Mar. 18, 1937: 0.2”

Mar. 19, 1937: 0.1”

Mar. 20, 1937: 1.5”

Mar. 21, 1937: 0.1”

Mar. 24, 1937: 0.2”

Mar. 25, 1937: 0.5”

March 1937 snow…………….2.8”

The only period of "sustained" snowcover was Jan 22-29 (3", 2", 2", 1", 1", 1", 1", 1"). Only 2 other days had snow depths rounded to 1" (Dec 19 & Feb 4) though neither actually had a full inch on the ground. With a total snowcover days (1"+) of 10, this is Detroits barest winter on record as well as least snowy. But that is using the present-day "round to the nearest inch". Remember, pre-1948 they actually listed snowdepth as inches and tenths rather than rounding, so Jan 22-27th were the ONLY days where snow depth was listed at 1.0"+ (snow depth was officially 0.5" on Dec 19th, 0.7" on Jan 28th, 0.5" on Jan 29th, and 0.6" Feb 4th). This winter doesnt even crack the 20 warmest list though.

Wow, you moved into a 3 bedroom apt on Debbie Downer Avenue with Alek, SSC, and Chicago Storm. Who's sleeping on the couch?

:lmao:

Whats funny is that dont think I dont have the sun-angle issue in the back of my head...but despite that...if I had to pick, Jan/Feb are the months when I really want the snow to just bury us. (I want it now to, BELIEVE ME, but Jan-Feb is when the bustle of the holidays is over and it gets more boring).

How about me?

If this winter somehow happens to drop another steaming deuce on my doorstep I just might be asking you and beast for your med recipes.

I can't believe how green our grass is yet.. The St Louis like green December grass look actually compliments the Christmas lights better than everybody else's yards that are browner than daddylonglegs undies.

All that watering this summer and living close to the Gulf of Michigan is paying off. Wonder if some dandelions will start popping with this recent rain and the stuff through the weekend.

How some kids don't come and Paul Bunyan that hot mess down amazes me.. Guess it shouldn't, most kids seem to rot inside sleeping and playing video games nowadays.

"Back in the day" Me and my buddies were little high school punks, would have destroyed that yard. We were never inside.

If this winter somehow happens to drop another steaming deuce on my doorstep I just might be asking you and beast for your med recipes.

I can't believe how green our grass is yet.. The St Louis like green December grass look actually compliments the Christmas lights better than everybody else's yards that are browner than daddylonglegs undies.

All that watering this summer and living close to the Gulf of Michigan is paying off. Wonder if some dandelions will start popping with this recent rain and the stuff through the weekend.

Lol...we have new weeds and dandelions here in Western Michigan. Disgusting....

I had a lone dandelion pop back in November.. Probably would have had more had it rained.. Our yards grass is almost as green as normal in summer, but it hasn't grown much at all.. Other yards are mostly brown.

I posted this pic last year. I found it in my yard on Christmas day. This seems to be becoming a common occurrence.

post-830-0-34827400-1354793274_thumb.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if some of you guys even see snow this year... Place like Milwaukee/Chicago with that steamy hot lake, it will be tough to turn over to snow. I think this season will bring out the Grinch in many snow a lover... Making sweet passionate love to Yeti is not a cure.

Winds are usually offshore for Clippers, so that might be the source of some of the first accumulations along the lakefront.

measurable snow streak is going to be tied at worst with first measurable looking more and more in play

Might as well list your dates/months/years of destiny. Something to shoot for I guess. Keep 'em handy.

Latest first 0.1"+ snowfall: December 16, 1965

Least snowiest December on record: T in 1889 and 1912

Least snowiest start to the season, through December 31: 0.3" in 1943

Latest first 1.0"+ snowfall: January 17, 1899

Least snowiest season on record: 9.8" in 1920-21

I'm starting to wonder if some of you guys even see snow this year... Place like Milwaukee/Chicago with that steamy hot lake, it will be tough to turn over to snow. I think this season will bring out the Grinch in many snow a lover... Making sweet passionate love to Yeti is not a cure.

Ya and the Mississippi and Lake Onalaska will probably do the same to us :whistle:

I believe Des Moines will be breaking their snowless record in the next couple days. The nws hasn't mentioned anything about Cedar Rapids' record, but I have also not recorded a tenth of an inch of snow since March 4th(not even a flake this season). Last year may have been even more impressive when I did not receive a 1" snowfall for more than 11 months, from Feb. 6th 2011 to January 12th 2012.

Winter '07-'08 through '09-'10 was likely the best 3-year stretch of snowy winters in my lifetime. That just makes last winter and the beginning of this one seem even worse than they are.

Archived