joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread

dmc76

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Des Moines will be breaking their snowless record in the next couple days. The nws hasn't mentioned anything about Cedar Rapids' record, but I have also not recorded a tenth of an inch of snow since March 4th(not even a flake this season). Last year may have been even more impressive when I did not receive a 1" snowfall for more than 11 months, from Feb. 6th 2011 to January 12th 2012.

Winter '07-'08 through '09-'10 was likely the best 3-year stretch of snowy winters in my lifetime. That just makes last winter and the beginning of this one seem even worse than they are.

Wow, you missed out on all those snowfalls after the blizzard! Crazy.

That winter, I think my last snowfall over an inch was the first week of March.

I'm starting to wonder if some of you guys even see snow this year... Place like Milwaukee/Chicago with that steamy hot lake, it will be tough to turn over to snow. I think this season will bring out the Grinch in many snow a lover... Making sweet passionate love to Yeti is not a cure.

:lmao: there's a ton of different ways we can speculate how much snow will fall in the next 4.5 months, but I will bet any member on this board any amount of money that it will snow in chicago and milwaukee this winter! :lol:

Record for latest first measurable I believe is 12/16 and today is day #276 in the streak w/out measurable snow. Record for Chicago is 280 days in 1994.

My call Chicago Will get this record not only get it but I believe they will smash this record of Consecutive days without measurable snowfall

My call Chicago Will get this record not only get it but I believe they will smash this record of Consecutive days without measurable snowfall

I say Chicago breaks it but does not "smash" it. They wont go too much past 180. I believe the record for Detroit is 282 days set in 1998 (Mar 22 through Dec 28). The 2012 break was 258 days (Mar 10-Nov 22)

I say Chicago breaks it but does not "smash" it. They wont go too much past 180. I believe the record for Detroit is 282 days set in 1998 (Mar 22 through Dec 28). The 2012 break was 258 days (Mar 10-Nov 22)

Maybe the word i used "smash" might be all little over dramatic.

I can't believe this place isn't hopping! The much advertised midwest and lakes snowstorm on everyone's radar for the last week has degraded into another meteorological disappointment.

Check out the 240 hr euro....looks like all the real cold is evacuating our side of the globe. JB's vodka cold is now juicebox cool. And lastly i present the 384 hr gfs which is making me entertain the idea of grilling out on xmas.

post-622-0-50104900-1354886792_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-40145600-1354886827_thumb.jpg

I can't believe this place isn't hopping! The much advertised midwest and lakes snowstorm on everyone's radar for the last week has degraded into another meteorological disappointment.

Check out the 240 hr euro....looks like all the real cold is evacuating our side of the globe. JB's vodka cold is now juicebox cool. And lastly i present the 384 hr gfs which is making me entertain the idea of grilling out on xmas.

Not buying into that advertised "mild up" on the Euro or GFS. Considering some really good strat warming took place and might translate into some very good deep arctic air intrusions as we head into late month. Hope Im right TBH!

But I fully understand the cause for alarm after last winter. A possible string of bad winters isnt all that shocking when you look back at the 90s.

Not buying into that advertised "mild up" on the Euro or GFS. Considering some really good strat warming took place and might translate into some very good deep arctic air intrusions as we head into late month. Hope Im right TBH!

But I fully understand the cause for alarm after last winter. A possible string of bad winters isnt all that shocking when you look back at the 90s.

I'm just having fun here on another rainy December day.

One caution about the stratospheric warming....that was suppose to be our lifeboat last winter...didn't work out.

I'm just having fun here on another rainy December day.

One caution about the stratospheric warming....that was suppose to be our lifeboat last winter...didn't work out.

Indeed.

Youre a buzzkill Buckeye...lol.

I must say the look of pattern could be better but it aint bad. If trends prevail, then yes we can cheer on a green Christmas.

Indeed.

Youre a buzzkill Buckeye...lol.

I must say the look of pattern could be better but it aint bad. If trends prevail, then yes we can cheer on a green Christmas.

The ensembles look very good...the same debbie downers would be lol-ing if a warm ensemble mean wasoverlooked in favor of a cold 6z op run :lol:. And actually I cant think of a better pattern for this early in g he season for us. If it had a super cold look everyone would be worried about suppression (id welcome this pattern in jan if we had a snowcover and just hope for clippers, but not so much so early in the season with bare ground. And of course a torch would be disaster. So cold and stormy pattern potential is all we can ask for, just have to hope it pans out for our backyards.

I didn't want to clog up the long term thread, so this the perfect place to do it. The talk is the day 8/9 GFS storm and how we should wait until day 5 to start a thread. I wouldn't start one at all, because it will most likely drop a deuce on the futon when it gets into the short term range anyway, just like most of the 'storms' have lately. /End rant.

I didn't want to clog up the long term thread, so this the perfect place to do it. The talk is the day 8/9 GFS storm and how we should wait until day 5 to start a thread. I wouldn't start one at all, because it will most likely drop a deuce on the futon when it gets into the short term range anyway, just like most of the 'storms' have lately. /End rant.

And that makes it five residents now at 123 Debbie Downer Avenue. At least the rent per person will be cheap.

What a terrible choice of colors to use for a 850 temp map. It looks like summer with those colors.... Same time frame here.

12zgfs850mbTSLPNA240.gif

This December sucks so far. If by mid next week we are staring at another craptastic storm with thermal issues, i will be fully ready for January.

This december does suck so far....first torch, now lgt rain (may see first flakes since nov 25 tmrw?). But ghe first 10 days have been slated to suck for a while. The details aren't there, never are, but everything looks on track for better times ahead.

Never did like this December. Thought the blocking patterns were crappy. Wait to the cold biased models(which seems to be all of them lately at 180hrs) start losing the -NAO before Christmas. Weenies could slit their throats..........then the Pacific gets its act together and we get real cold air in here January 2nd.

Typicall strong -NAO are not what we want. Unless you're a clipper lover. But with the Pacific acted up - I'm guessing the -NAO will strengthen the baroclinic zone like OH said in the other thread. Of course if the region builds a good snowpack through Christmas, then a less NAO may not be all that bad...?

Archived