joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread

dmc76

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After nearly 6 weeks of absolute futility I am about ready to join blackrock as officially complaining about winter in West Michigan!  The 6z GFS is pushing me closer to the edge.  I moved here from Central Ohio and they have more snow than I do for the winter.  How messed up is that?

Yes but it usually doesn't amount to much. On rare occasions we can pick up an inch or two. It happens a bit more often as you move east of here.

Yep, over here around FWA, we average ~34" and I'd estimate that about 12-14" is LES.

Not bad, I usually get about a foot or so of LES in a typical winter.... In 08-09 I probably got upwards of 2 feet of LES... Couple 2-4's and one 6 inch event as most notable.

After nearly 6 weeks of absolute futility I am about ready to join blackrock as officially complaining about winter in West Michigan! The 6z GFS is pushing me closer to the edge. I moved here from Central Ohio and they have more snow than I do for the winter. How messed up is that?

Yup, the pattern that just will not end. I am perplexed.

After nearly 6 weeks of absolute futility I am about ready to join blackrock as officially complaining about winter in West Michigan! The 6z GFS is pushing me closer to the edge. I moved here from Central Ohio and they have more snow than I do for the winter. How messed up is that?

Yup, the pattern that just will not end. I am perplexed.

Put the UP in a very active pattern.... Sucks, I get tired of driving there.. last year killed me on gas.

Capitulation on the cold. Transient glancing blow. Maybe the late month period gives hope. Still think we might pull a storm but its looking grim.

Yeah, this would be the last straw.  I'm not quite ready to wave the white flag yet...but jeez...why is it so hard to get a cold airmass in winter?  It's not like we're in November or March.

We already thought the synoptic snow chances with the "pattern change" might not pan out.  But I and many others were willing to live with that because it seemed that a good arctic outbreak was in the cards...which would potentially spin up a couple of rogue clippers that are difficult for models to scope out well in advance.  But now, the arctic air itself may not even happen.

In Chicago, there have only been 6 days with a low temp < 18F this season, and 1.3" of seasonal snowfall (max daily snowfall 0.4").  The lowest temp so far this season has been 10F.  Not saying that will hold all winter...but if it does, it would shatter the previous all time warmest winter season low temp of 5F that was set.......last year.  :axe: That is amazing.  The normal daily low temp throughout the entire month of January is ~15F.

In Chicago, there have only been 6 days with a low temp < 18F this season, and 1.3" of seasonal snowfall (max daily snowfall 0.4"). The lowest temp so far this season has been 10F. Not saying that will hold all winter...but if it does, it would shatter the previous all time warmest winter season low temp of 5F that was set.......last year. :axe: That is amazing. The normal daily low temp throughout the entire month of January is ~15F.

Chicago is now tied with the Winter of 1889-90 for the least amount of snow through Jan. 9th.

85% of this region has seen more snow to-date than last year at this time, yet this year we need to start a part 2 thread of the complaint thread on a date when last years complaint thread was not even yet born :lmao: How times change...

85% of this region has seen more snow to-date than last year at this time, yet this year we need to start a part 2 thread of the complaint thread on a date when last years complaint thread was not even yet born :lmao: How times change...

I'm one of those who've done better YTD in 2012-13 compared to 2011-12. Doesn't change the fact that it's been a bad winter so far. Bad. Nothing but more snow will change that fact.

I'm one of those who've done better YTD in 2012-13 compared to 2011-12. Doesn't change the fact that it's been a bad winter so far. Bad. Nothing but more snow will change that fact.

For me, such a torchy 3 weeks to start December sucked because it was really a killjoy to the Christmas season. But strictly from a snow perspective, complaining from the Detroit crew is baffling. As we enter the 2nd week of January we are not too far off climo for snow. A few inches below for snowfall but a few days above for snowcover. Other than myself, most people around here care WAY more for snowfall than snowcover. Well, December snowfall was a touch ABOVE climo and most of it came between Dec 26-29th rather than the usual nickel/dime fashion. Lets say we had the SAME snowfall spread out throughout the month those EXACT same complainers would be complaining theyd rather have it all in one storm rather than nickel and dimes. Mark my words. So basically...more snow will not change anything for my area, because there will always...ALWAYS...be something to complain about.

Yeah I don't understand comparing to last year to make it seem better.

Maybe I wasnt clear enough with my "how times change" quip. Last year the weather was worse (for most) and the complaining was less, how bout that?

Last winter:

Complaint thread started Jan 12th, last post May 13th, ended up at 17 pages

This winter:

Complaint thread started Nov 25th, reached 30 pages by Jan 9th and needing a part 2

Maybe I wasnt clear enough with my "how times change" quip. Last year the weather was worse (for most) and the complaining was less, how bout that?

Last winter:

Complaint thread started Jan 12th, last post May 13th, ended up at 17 pages

This winter:

Complaint thread started Nov 25th, reached 30 pages by Jan 9th and needing a part 2

People were more optimistic last year, that is all.

Archived