• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread

dmc76

This could belong in the 2012 in review thread as well, but here goes: late spring/early summer 2012: drought and a lack of storms/severe during peak season. Late summer: finally cooler with garden variety thunderstorms. Fall, also cooler with a few decent rains, but dry as a bone in November when one can finally start cashing in on snow events. December: finally a really wet month, but 90% in the form of rain. Why were the weather gods so mad this year.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to complain about here, surprise snowfall this morning on top of a snowfall that yielded on the plus side a couple days ago. I might be looking at around 10" of snow on the ground in total by this afternoon from both storms and it doesn't look like it is going anywhere any time soon.

Congratulations to the lucky ones. Here in West Michigan we are looking at snowfall deficits for the year of large proportions.

Snowfall departures are for December and for the year.

GRR -14.0, -21.0

LAN - 8.2, -11.5

MKG -21.5, -26.9

APN -6.0, -11.9

The one bright spot is in the UP.

ANJ -2.3, +4.0

Definitely down around here to!

-9.6" here. Using Lake Villa snowfall stats.

This event over the last day, was enough put me over last December's total. Hoosier's snowfall screw zone map holds very true still! Seems like the storms don't want to spread themselves out evenly across the subforum real estate.

The Pacific needs to get it's act together.

Here's to a cold and snowy January ahead for everyone on this subforum! :beer:

FWA has 8.6" of snow so far this winter, with almost 5" on the ground. This is 87% of normal (9.9" as of today), so not too bad. Everything's rosy, right?

As mentioned above, there is nothing major coming down the pike, so that snow deficit will grow. Also, at this time last year, they were sitting at 11". We all know how that turned out. :yikes:

All it takes is one good storm and the numbers will immediately look up for those who are missing out. That is the luxury of having monthly averages around 12" for most of the region outside of the snow belts. The snow belts are probably going to end up below normal on the year unless something drastically changes for them.

FWA has 8.6" of snow so far this winter, with almost 5" on the ground. This is 87% of normal (9.9" as of today), so not too bad. Everything's rosy, right?

As mentioned above, there is nothing major coming down the pike, so that snow deficit will grow. Also, at this time last year, they were sitting at 11". We all know how that turned out. :yikes:

Turned out pretty good for FWA, all things considered, no? ;)

14.6" in Jan '12 and 6.3" in Feb '12...32.2" total for the season.

Not a chance. Ive been a member since 06 and you go back to before eastern was even born. Face it. You're a junkie for winter and theres no rehab to save you lol.

meh.. I am starting to get really bored with it though. Usually when that happens with anything i move on. Living off of leftovers for the past 3 winters probably has a bit to do with it. While 1-3/2-5 inch events are nice for getting the landscape looking nice they do zero from a excitement standpoint especially when i am constantly seeing the heaviest stuff just to my south/se/nw etc and thus i am living off the scraps of the storm or whatever. EXTREMES is what brought me into the fold back in 77-78/78-79 and thus BIG SNOW STORMS and well this area/region really sucks for that. lol As far as THAT goes it has been beyond terrible imby which is taking it's toll as well. My biggest disappointment ( One thing i regret as well for staying in this region ) with all of this is that my son will probably never get to enjoy a real heavy duty 18+ snowstorm/blizzard like i did when i was his age.

Well it looks like another meager year for snow here in the Keweenaw. Was suppose to get 4 inches last night. We were lucky to get a half an inch of snow. Then the rest of the week it will be the same. Too much dry air forecasted.Then it is going to warm up next weekend. Snowmobile trails are worse then they were last year. I am ready to just peddle my sled. Sick of it just sitting in the garage collecting dust. Not a hardcore rider to be trailering it all over the country.

Well it looks like another meager year for snow here in the Keweenaw. Was suppose to get 4 inches last night. We were lucky to get a half an inch of snow. Then the rest of the week it will be the same. Too much dry air forecasted.Then it is going to warm up next weekend. Snowmobile trails are worse then they were last year. I am ready to just peddle my sled. Sick of it just sitting in the garage collecting dust. Not a hardcore rider to be trailering it all over the country.

Never thought it could get this bad in the Keweenaw. Didn't think it was possible.

The medium range outlook is absolutely hideous as per the GFS. What a turnaround. Just a few days ago, it looked as though we were on the brink of a colder than average January. The models now have it looking like January 2006 and January 1990, at least througo mid-month.

Models have backed off on the cold...but nowhere NEAR 2006 or 1990 lol

Archived