Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread

dmc76

Im a little north of Duluth on the north shore

As snowhungry as we all are, you certainly have more to complain about. The odds of having snowcover here right now, climatologically speaking, are just shy of 50%. Your odds are as close to 100% as you can get. So it indeed does suck for you. Jan looking mighty cold, hopefully a clipper express sets up.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As snowhungry as we all are, you certainly have more to complain about. The odds of having snowcover here right now, climatologically speaking, are just shy of 50%. Your odds are as close to 100% as you can get. So it indeed does suck for you. Jan looking mighty cold, hopefully a clipper express sets up.

You are 100% correct. When people rely on this snow for their livelihood and their is drought and warm temperatures then things turn ugly in a hurry.

This.

Only 11 inches on the season. Boo ****ing hoo. I havent an inch yet.

Try saying that to a local business owner up this way and you might feel different.

Yeah when you factor climo in it's pretty clear that mnweather and the Duluth area have much more to factor in than SEMI... snow is a huge part of the economy, not just a hobby.

It has been pretty pitiful here in the Keweenaw so far. Not enough snow to get my sled out on the trails. As long as this split flow continues we won't get the Alberta Clippers and colder air to give us good lake effect. After the snow we got yesterday and last night we probably have about 4 inches on the ground and usually this time of year there should be a couple of feet in my yard and the snow banks along the side of the streets should be at least up to my chest. This is what I get for buying a new snowblower early December. The business that rely on the Christmas week sledders are going to be real hurting since this is the second December that conditions have sucked. I did seen one snowmobile trailer at the Ramada Inn and couldn't believe they wasted the gas to drive up here unless they brought 4 wheelers with them. Also, the Portage canal should be frozen solid by now and it just gets a skim of ice on it and then it warms up melting it.

DANGIT!!!!

This last storm went too far north....

This storm looks like it may be too far south....

DANGIT!!!

DANGIT!!!

I will remain hopeful... but it seems even the winter weather is afraid to go into Detroit... just sayin' :whistle::bag:

The wintry weather made it into Detroit just fine today, did it not? Models are a mess regarding the next week. IF we miss the storm to the south then a lot of us may post in here, but try to remain calm in the meantime.

Nothing lovelier than watching a big swath of snow descend from the north, completely dry up just before it enters Toronto, and then reform over Lake Ontario and smack WNY. This stuff makes life worth living.

Did you guys in Toronto do something that caused a hex to be placed upon you all?

Nothing lovelier than watching a big swath of snow descend from the north, completely dry up just before it enters Toronto, and then reform over Lake Ontario and smack WNY. This stuff makes life worth living.

Did Toronto get any snow from this system? I know you guys are at your wits end with your luck, but I notice you guys dont have snowfall totals in your sigs, so just wondering where you are at on the season or with this storm.

Did Toronto get any snow from this system? I know you guys are at your wits end with your luck, but I notice you guys dont have snowfall totals in your sigs, so just wondering where you are at on the season or with this storm.

T for this system.

And what's the point of putting a snow total sig when it doesn't snow here anymore. :lmao: T at Pearson for the season (surpassing 1998 as the latest that locale has gone into the season without having any measurable), 0.3" imby, and I believe 0.3" downtown.

T for this system.

And what's the point of putting a snow total sig when it doesn't snow here anymore. :lmao: T at Pearson for the season (surpassing 1998 as the latest that locale has gone into the season with having any measurable), 0.3" imby, and I believe 0.3" downtown.

David Phillips of Environment Canada was actually quoted today as saying that "Mother Nature has forgotten how to snow in Toronto".

It really is odd that Toronto has had such a snow derth, joking aside.

David Phillips of Environment Canada was actually quoted today as saying that "Mother Nature has forgotten how to snow in Toronto".

It really is odd that Toronto has had such a snow derth, joking aside.

I agree. And I frankly just dont understand it. We always joke about it and all the Toronto posters have come to terms with it to where they can mock it as easily as they can be frustrated by it. But Torontos snowfall the last several years has been WAY below what they should get, and it makes no sense, ESPECIALLY when places in every direction from them have been getting way MORE than their climo would dictate. We all know theres REALLY no such thing as a curse, and there hasnt been some sort of explosion or something that has changed the topography of Toronto. So WHY is this happening? And Im asking that from a meteorological standpoint, not a "it doesnt snow in Toronto anymore LOL" joking standpoint.

I agree. And I frankly just dont understand it. We always joke about it and all the Toronto posters have come to terms with it to where they can mock it as easily as they can be frustrated by it. But Torontos snowfall the last several years has been WAY below what they should get, and it makes no sense, ESPECIALLY when places in every direction from them have been getting way MORE than their climo would dictate. We all know theres REALLY no such thing as a curse, and there hasnt been some sort of explosion or something that has changed the topography of Toronto. So WHY is this happening? And Im asking that from a meteorological standpoint, not a "it doesnt snow in Toronto anymore LOL" joking standpoint.

If I had to be honest about it, it's just bad luck. There's nothing I can think of that would be responsible for (pending the outcome of this season) giving us 3 of our least snowiest winters in 4 years. The suburbs are sprawling outwards, so that might be increasing the extent of the heat island effect. But our troubles with snow haven't really been microscale like that. It's mostly been due to the avoidance of large scale synoptic systems. Aside from plain bad luck, I can't come up with another explanation.

Detroit was just like Toronto in the mid 90's. I feel the pain.

Meh that was different. The mid-1990s was a generally crappy period for the region in general. Outside of the Chicago to Detroit snowhole of 1995-96 when all directions NSEW were getting slammed and we were high (cold) and dry, its not as if Detroit was repeatedly getting hosed when other places werent. If you are sharing the misery, thats one thing. Its that Torontos misery (2011-12 notwithstanding) has enjoyed hardly any company. If it happens one winter, chalk it up to bad luck. Two winters? ummm, wtf is going on? But what Torontos been going through has no logical explanation, and for a climo buff like me its fascinating, in a deranged way of course. I do not enjoy seeing my Toronto snow friends suffer, but it truly is like one of the wonders of the unknown.

If I had to be honest about it, it's just bad luck. There's nothing I can think of that would be responsible for (pending the outcome of this season) giving us 3 of our least snowiest winters in 4 years. The suburbs are sprawling outwards, so that might be increasing the extent of the heat island effect. But our troubles with snow haven't really been microscale like that. It's mostly been due to the avoidance of large scale synoptic systems. Aside from plain bad luck, I can't come up with another explanation.

I am a certain believer in UHI, but it really shouldnt affect snow. I wont lie, I do not want to sacrifice any of my snow for you :lol:, but I mean it sincerely when I say I hope you get socked this winter. There is no explanation as you said...which means it WILL change, you just have to hope its sooner not later.

Meh that was different. The mid-1990s was a generally crappy period for the region in general. Outside of the Chicago to Detroit snowhole of 1995-96 when all directions NSEW were getting slammed and we were high (cold) and dry, its not as if Detroit was repeatedly getting hosed when other places werent. If you are sharing the misery, thats one thing. Its that Torontos misery (2011-12 notwithstanding) has enjoyed hardly any company. If it happens one winter, chalk it up to bad luck. Two winters? ummm, wtf is going on? But what Torontos been going through has no logical explanation, and for a climo buff like me its fascinating, in a deranged way of course. I do not enjoy seeing my Toronto snow friends suffer, but it truly is like one of the wonders of the unknown.

I remember giving up on winters back then. Every storm missed it seemed like. Jan 92 11" storm. Them it was the 2 day event in early jan 94 that reached 10".... then nothing till jan 99. How do u not remember the utter garbage that was winter.

I remember giving up on winters back then. Every storm missed it seemed like. Jan 92 11" storm. Them it was the 2 day event in early jan 94 that reached 10".... then nothing till jan 99. How do u not remember the utter garbage that was winter.

Oh make no mistake...I remember it clearly. My only point was that we had crappy winters but so did most of the region....Torontos plight is taking place in a time when most of the region is seeing much snowier than normal winters. In the 1990s, I thought a 6" snowstorm was huge. And anytime the snowdepth eclipsed 5", I thought it was deep :lmao:

Oh make no mistake...I remember it clearly. My only point was that we had crappy winters but so did most of the region....Torontos plight is taking place in a time when most of the region is seeing much snowier than normal winters. In the 1990s, I thought a 6" snowstorm was huge. And anytime the snowdepth eclipsed 5", I thought it was deep :lmao:

Do you remember when the Mayor of Detroit wanted to save money for the city so he decided to cut back on snow removal equipment in summer of 98. Says we don't need all this equipment cuz it doesn't snow that much in Detroit? then jan 99 happened. :lmao:

We didn't get a full inch on the East side either. I'd say more like .75"

Left my house in the mid afternoon to snow covered roads people driving 25-30mph down 32 mile rd. I had to get to 9 mile/Van Dyke. Pretty depressing how much of a non-event it was down there.

Left my house in the mid afternoon to snow covered roads people driving 25-30mph down 32 mile rd. I had to get to 9 mile/Van Dyke. Pretty depressing how much of a non-event it was down there.

Southern Macomb County is like that a lot, it has been a while since Southern Macomb County was the jackpot.

Archived