Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread

dmc76

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've seen a few nice storms affect the subforum lately, but unfortunately not everyone has been able to cash in. With that, I present the winter screw zone map as of December 26. This is a general outline of areas that are substantially below where they should be in terms of snow. I realize there are other areas that are suffering, especially the lake belts, but it's hard to get a feel for the coverage due to less data and rapidly changing averages over short distances.

post-14-0-35437800-1356582047_thumb.png

Haha...love the frownie faces. You can put one right over western Michigan and label it "Blackrock".

Nice map Hoosier. Rockford up to Janesville didn't do too bad. Extreme SE WI, no doubt and all of NE IL. Hopefully the next storm buries at least the western screw zone and mnweather can cash in on some type of system.

I thought Rockford was higher but was surprised to see their seasonal total is only 1.4"

We've seen a few nice storms affect the subforum lately, but unfortunately not everyone has been able to cash in. With that, I present the winter screw zone map as of December 26. This is a general outline of areas that are substantially below where they should be in terms of snow. I realize there are other areas that are suffering, especially the lake belts, but it's hard to get a feel for the coverage due to less data and rapidly changing averages over short distances.

I love the map, though parts of Central Illinois had blizzard conditions with the last storm that screwed Chicago

Did you manage to get under that last band? Allendale looks to have gotten dumped on for an hour.

Now we wait to see if we can get the ground covered this weekend......"cringes"

I really hope you get it. I was in Muskegon last week during Wisconsin's blizzard and was surprised by people freaking out over a couple inches. Guess its been a while

If SE Wisconsin gets a few inches with the upper level disturbance on Friday, I would happily take myself and the rest of that area out of the screw zone, because at least we would have cashed in nicely on something, even if it is just a minor disturbance. The Chicago area has been screwed badly, no doubt about it, so please rant on Chicagoans, even if you are not in the mood to, it feels good.

I love the map, though parts of Central Illinois had blizzard conditions with the last storm that screwed Chicago

Indeed, but it doesn't mean they still aren't below average. Some areas certainly have had it worse than others (for big cities, Chicago is a prime example).

Sometimes the screw zones show themselves early, other times it turns around later in winter so we'll see what happens.

Indeed, but it doesn't mean they still aren't below average. Some areas certainly have had it worse than others (for big cities, Chicago is a prime example).

Sometimes the screw zones show themselves early, other times it turns around later in winter so we'll see what happens.

I am more content on things staying the course :)

I really hope you get it. I was in Muskegon last week during Wisconsin's blizzard and was surprised by people freaking out over a couple inches. Guess its been a while

It was bad last year and REALLY bad so far this winter in that area. Can apply it to all of W.MI. for that matter. Usually if there is no synoptic snows there is the Lake ( why some like Muskegon/Bloomingdale zone ) average around 100" ) but the Lake has been a epic fail as well. Ofcourse with the lake stuff it has been a fail for a number of winters now thanks to either lacking cold, nnw/n/nne flow events, etc. I believe most is sitting at between 2-6" on the season so far when many should be between 37-40" by this point.

The model that showed almost no snow over Erie turned out to be pretty accurate

I thought Rockford was higher but was surprised to see their seasonal total is only 1.4"

Dang, they did get screwed then! Thought they had 4" for some reason.

Heck Alek has seen as much snow as I have! :lmao: And as you can see below, that's not much!

1.8" last December. I sure hope the Friday system pans out.

Wow, really? Freaking out when they were calling for the couple inches we never got? People around here don't usually freak out. There could be a foot of snow and schools are open...but like you said....it has been a while, so it isn't the norm right now. :( May I ask what you were here for?

It was bad last year and REALLY bad so far this winter in that area. Can apply it to all of W.MI. for that matter. Usually if there is no synoptic snows there is the Lake ( why some like Muskegon/Bloomingdale zone ) average around 100" ) but the Lake has been a epic fail as well. Ofcourse with the lake stuff it has been a fail for a number of winters now thanks to either lacking cold, nnw/n/nne flow events, etc. I believe most is sitting at between 2-6" on the season so far when many should be between 37-40" by this point.

Thanks again for explaining this for those who don't really know the "normal" climate for here. The Lake effect has indeed been CRAP along with getting missed synoptically.

OT but the region is represented nicely in the WOTY Quarterfinals

http://www.americanw...e-year-round-2/

I hope that 8 defeats 1 the most. I really hope all here help to get that accomplished. :)

Well, 8 has a 3 vote lead. I would be worried about what will happen when the southeast forum wakes up in a few hours and gets out and votes.

Wow, really? Freaking out when they were calling for the couple inches we never got? People around here don't usually freak out. There could be a foot of snow and schools are open...but like you said....it has been a while, so it isn't the norm right now. :( May I ask what you were here for?

Thanks again for explaining this for those who don't really know the "normal" climate for here. The Lake effect has indeed been CRAP along with getting missed synoptically.

Yeah.. The lake is what is killing it the most. Ofcourse this has been a trend for over a decade or so from what i have read. Muskegon use to average 105-108" but took a hit with the new normals thanks to the past decade or so and ofcourse losing the very snowy 70s did not help. I have been told by a few locals that W.MI ( 131 on west ) use to be known for it's winter activities sorta like up north because there use to be more reliable snow. People tend to exaggerate such stuff so not sure how true that is. lol GRR had a beauty of a write up almost 5 years ago about the snowfall trends in W.MI. Per them areas west of 131 has lost ( thanks to lacking LES ) a bit while areas further inland have gained.

Hopefully it turns around soon.

I haven't followed this thread too much, so it may have been called out already...but whatever happened to arctic outbreaks and Alberta clippers?? What happened to the occasional 2-4" snowfall and strong cold fronts?

It seems like, recently, we all make-it-or-break it and pin our hopes on a big storm. It's all or nothing. For example...the Chicago area got lucky with the GHD storm in Feb. 2011...but this year, we're unlucky as we only have 0.4" for the season so far...with nearby areas doing decently (Madison, Detroit, etc.).

I haven't followed this thread too much, so it may have been called out already...but whatever happened to arctic outbreaks and Alberta clippers?? What happened to the occasional 2-4" snowfall and strong cold fronts?

It seems like, recently, we all make-it-or-break it and pin our hopes on a big storm. It's all or nothing. For example...the Chicago area got lucky with the GHD storm in Feb. 2011...but this year, we're unlucky as we only have 0.4" for the season so far...with nearby areas doing decently (Madison, Detroit, etc.).

I agree! That is part of the reason the winter weather has been crap here. Not only are clippers often fun for much of the Midwest, but west Michigan can get their biggest snowfalls from lake enhancement during clippers and then lake effect after the low goes by. Bring on some REAL clippers...not these dying low pressure systems that fall apart.

Speculating here but I'm guessing that the persistent -PNA has something to do with it. I'd think a +PNA would be better for clippers since the mean trough would probably be positioned more favorably.

Can't complain. Almost 5" of beautiful snow draped on everything. No big storms on the horizon but lots of cold and lots of chances to dust and coat our already white landscape with snow again.

3rd futility title in 4 years is still a possibility, but it's at the back of my mind. Right now I am calm. I am happy.

I agree! That is part of the reason the winter weather has been crap here. Not only are clippers often fun for much of the Midwest, but west Michigan can get their biggest snowfalls from lake enhancement during clippers and then lake effect after the low goes by. Bring on some REAL clippers...not these dying low pressure systems that fall apart.

valid point....I love a good arctic frontal passage with snow as the precip type. Clippers are few and far lately. It seems everything is out of the sw....which is great for the big ones, but way too hit and miss...and way more miss.

Archived