• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread

dmc76

Dont you think if it was stormy all the time though that it would make storms less special?

Josh seems to think ( he is probably correct as well ) that it does/has. Per him and others ( i was living on eastcoast so not sure ) back in the 90s and prior Clippers ( 2-4/3-6 type events ) were the bread and butter for that area. Thus getting a 6+ event was a nice treat. Then came 04-05 and especially 07-08/08-09 etc with a slew of them in the 6-12 inch range.

Get a bit more 6+/12+ ( 8-9 12+ events since 2005 here ) and 20+ out this way compared to DTW which like where you are can be thanked a bit to the lake and not having to sweat coastal transfers like DTW does. They depend on a track near the apps ( for a biggie in MOST cases..Not all and thus see 1974 ) and those tend to transfer to the coastal side alot of times.

I admit other then days like this ( Christmas eve ) the 2-5" does little for me unless it is building on a nice snow pack ( or it is something crazy like falling in a hour or so ) as was the case in 08-09 here.. Ofcourse i have seen a number of the 18+ events as well back east so yeah that has skewed my view a bit.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to complain on Christmas Eve, because it IS the most wonderful time of the year.....but the north and especially northwest suburbs got a real nice surprise this evening of heavy snow, a solid 1-2".....and mby only has a coating. Whats more only DTW-south was expected to get ANY measurable snow. Nice to see a fresh dust of white on Christmas Eve, but still worthy of a complaint lol.

Josh seems to think ( he is probably correct as well ) that it does/has. Per him and others ( i was living on eastcoast so not sure ) back in the 90s and prior Clippers ( 2-4/3-6 type events ) were the bread and butter for that area. Thus getting a 6+ event was a nice treat. Then came 04-05 and especially 07-08/08-09 etc with a slew of them in the 6-12 inch range.

Get a bit more 6+/12+ ( 8-9 12+ events since 2005 here ) and 20+ out this way compared to DTW which like where you are can be thanked a bit to the lake and not having to sweat coastal transfers like DTW does. They depend on a track near the apps ( for a biggie in MOST cases..Not all and thus see 1974 ) and those tend to transfer to the coastal side alot of times.

I admit other then days like this ( Christmas eve ) the 2-5" does little for me unless it is building on a nice snow pack ( or it is something crazy like falling in a hour or so ) as was the case in 08-09 here.. Ofcourse i have seen a number of the 18+ events as well back east so yeah that has skewed my view a bit.

1990-99 DTW had 11 storms of 6"+....2000-2012 DTW had 23 storms of 6"+. Climo is around 1 per season, so its not even that the '90s were bad for big storms (for THAT see the 1930s-1960s)....its that the last decade was unusually good.

Hate to complain on Christmas Eve, because it IS the most wonderful time of the year.....but the north and especially northwest suburbs got a real nice surprise this evening of heavy snow, a solid 1-2".....and mby only has a coating. Whats more only DTW-south was expected to get ANY measurable snow. Nice to see a fresh dust of white on Christmas Eve, but still worthy of a complaint lol.

last nights 00z Models had that down by the border into IN/OH.. sheesh..

Got about half a inch here. Looks beautiful out and like real Christmas. Thus the one small redeeming thing about this crappy start to winter.

Wow, so basically you Michiganders are saying Louisville, Kentucky has had more 12 inch events than several northern midwest cities in the past 25 years? I know for certain that Louisville got 12+ inch in one storm in 94, 96, 98, and 2008.

In 2004, we had six inches of sleet along with several inches of snow. I remember the depth was at least a foot if you want to count the Xmas week storm as well. Places in Southern Indiana that are 20 miles away got 20-30 inches of snow.

It's weird how mother nature works sometimes because Louisville can go three to five years, probably even longer without a six plus inch event.

last nights 00z Models had that down by the border into IN/OH.. sheesh..

Got about half a inch here. Looks beautiful out and like real Christmas. Thus the one small redeeming thing about this crappy start to winter.

I retract my earlier complaint. Did we get as much as the northern burbs? No. But we still got more than I expected. Just under an inch of sugary powder here, its a very wintry Christmas Eve! We missed the heavy radar echoes but in turn got a lower ratio sugary powder as opposed to the fluffy powder

Wow, so basically you Michiganders are saying Louisville, Kentucky has had more 12 inch events than several northern midwest cities in the past 25 years? I know for certain that Louisville got 12+ inch in one storm in 94, 96, 98, and 2008.

In 2004, we had six inches of sleet along with several inches of snow. I remember the depth was at least a foot if you want to count the Xmas week storm as well. Places in Southern Indiana that are 20 miles away got 20-30 inches of snow.

It's weird how mother nature works sometimes because Louisville can go three to five years, probably even longer without a six plus inch event.

Its possible. Sometimes we have moisture supply issues, so you being closer to the Gulf, if things align just right you can get blasted. Though do keep in mind they were strictly referring to the official totals (many storms where the official station gets, say 8-11", nearby areas can have 12"+)...also just talking snowstorms, not snow depth. DTW has exceeded 12" depth many times (averages probably once every 3 years) because snow on snow events are fairly common here.

I retract my earlier complaint. Did we get as much as the northern burbs? No. But we still got more than I expected. Just under an inch of sugary powder here, its a very wintry Christmas Eve! We missed the heavy radar echoes but in turn got a lower ratio sugary powder as opposed to the fluffy powder

Congrats on your snowfall tonight. My Christmas will be brown. Oh well many more snowfall opportunities this year. Just have to wait anxiously.

Hi.

I hate weather. :)

I have passed that point long ago. Now i just don't have the interest i once did. Thus not so much hate but bored with it. Atleast where my backyard is concerned. If anything it has made me a bit more of a skeptic with potential systems here.

The way i look at it now is that this eventually HAS to change. Climo says these misses to the south/se or nw will come to a end and we will enjoy snowier times again. Just a matter of when.

Had a damn good run here so i guess it is payback time.

Hopefully better times for us in the near future. STILL though i would not totally write your area off with this next system. Here? haha I am screwed. lol

Merry Christmas! Hope the New Year brings a new and snowier weather pattern to our backyards.

Its possible. Sometimes we have moisture supply issues, so you being closer to the Gulf, if things align just right you can get blasted. Though do keep in mind they were strictly referring to the official totals (many storms where the official station gets, say 8-11", nearby areas can have 12"+)...also just talking snowstorms, not snow depth. DTW has exceeded 12" depth many times (averages probably once every 3 years) because snow on snow events are fairly common here.

I could see that. The gulf plays a huge factor here when it comes to snow. When the gulf is not a factor and we have the cold air in place, we usually get less than five inches of fluff. The only way we get more than six inches of snow is an overperforming clipper or the gulf is involved.

The most snow depth I have ever seen is 20 inches and all that happened in one storm. One week later, we were in the 60's. In my 24 years of existence, I don't think I have seen snow on the ground for longer than 10 days or so.

El nada from this weak system moving through right now. If the S/E shift we've seen from the models continue wrt to the mid week storm, Toronto has a good chance of officially having its first snowless December. Certainly fun and exciting times to be a snow lover in this turd basket of a city. :)

Always great to have a weak POS wave help destroy the chances of a good storm... just wonderful

Archived