• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 27th - 28th Snow Potential

Ice Warrior commander

Yeah it does have that look. It does look like something gets close to closing off at 700mb to our south. It's weak but it's probably enough to develop enough deformation on the NW side.

These are the kinds of setups that can do funky things with snow growth etc. Once we lock in a track we should have a better idea if this will be a 2-4 kinda deal or a 4-8 kinda thing with some good snow growth in that deformation band.

2" would make it one of my biggest storms since Feb 2011. :axe:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does not look overly impressive to me. kind of a sheared out mess. i'd set expectations low for this. bl issues if precip does not come down hard enough.

About the only way I can get snow this time of year down here is in these unimpressive situations. I think it was 03 or 04 where we had 3-5" down here before thanksgiving with a weak system out underneath.

About the only way I can get snow this time of year down here is in these unimpressive situations. I think it was 03 or 04 where we had 3-5" down here before thanksgiving with a weak system out underneath.

11/12/04. You were all lover that one and bulls eyed snow the rest of the winter.

You get a little snow this run, but it's still a bit early. We don't even have it inside d3 yet and we just had a huge Euro shift. The models are all over the place with these pieces.

it looks like the gfs came into line with the euro... it was more amplified on the 00z run

The NAM initialized the vorticity maximum that as of 12z was very near 55N/165W, somewhere in the neighborhood of 500naut miles NNE. That's a pretty significant error - it is interesting that NCEP doesn't believe that error significantly impacts the model forecast, based upon their diagnostic discussion. Having the vort max actually being SSW of the model initialization means that it is quite possible more jet dynamics will get absorbed into the main polar branch of the westerlies over the next 60 hours of complex stream interactivity that is noted across the N-E Pac domain.

That interaction is much more than median mass of correction concern regarding what eventually transpires over the eastern U.S.

Not that it means much for determinism due to the model's known bias of pretty much sucking at all times, the 00z NOGAPs was an exercise in how near perfect phasing can work with comparatively weaker leading systems in the flow, to produce a major outcome. Sometimes, but not every time, when the "GONAPs" model sees amplitude in the middle range, when the others don't, things correct interestingly. The NOGAPs has a standing native bias of being too progressive ... the thinking there being, the NOGAPs overcomes its own native bias in getting to a more amplified solution than the models that typically are more amplified, might just signal that something is going on. This has worked in the past several times - though it says nothing about getting to a solution that fits with snow vs rain or whatever; just that more amplitude shouldn't be dismissed.

Archived