• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Stuffing and Snow - Late November Banter and Obs

HoarfrostHubb

Over the last day or so I think the theme in both models has been to build the Aleutian ridge up a bit, and perhaps displace the -NAO to more of an east based look. That's ok I think, so long as we get a good cross polar flow from the Aleutian ridge.

It will be interesting if that strato split continues and what the downstream effects are on modeling if it indeed continues.

My guess is the models are probably going to try and break down the WPO block too quickly...some of them actually fold it over itself more eastward and it becomes an EPO block. I think both GEFS and Euro ensembles have been trending this direction toward D7. We'll have to see how that plays out. If we can keep the block stronger when its in an EPO position, this actually may help us teleconnect the MJO phase 1/2 into an Aleutian low quicker and pump up that EPO ridge even more eastward to where its also becoming a PNA ridge, there would be less destructive interference....that would be getting well beyond D10, but that would really make for an exciting pattern heading into December.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is the models are probably going to try and break down the WPO block too quickly...some of them actually fold it over itself more eastward and it becomes an EPO block. I think both GEFS and Euro ensembles have been trending this direction toward D7. We'll have to see how that plays out. If we can keep the block stronger when its in an EPO position, this actually may help us teleconnect the MJO phase 1/2 into an Aleutian low quicker and pump up that EPO ridge even more eastward to where its also becoming a PNA ridge, there would be less destructive interference....that would be getting well beyond D10, but that would really make for an exciting pattern heading into December.

They definitely have been too fast in doing that if the last 36hrs of trends have been right. Just looking at the H5 differences that I'm able to look at,..they have been trending higher there. You bring up a good point in your last sentence. If we can get the MJO going..perhaps it could nudge the anomalies around to the more climo position of these MJO octants.

To some degree I guess, but at the same time see coastal's comments below

We are heading for dec 2010 on the euro op post day 10 with the NAO tanking like that..the lakes cutter would do it... The startosphere is getting split apart by day 10 on the gfs and euro ops today as well.

Good early thoughts last week with the thumb projection/omega type of -NAO initially which is what most of the guidance is doing now. Interesting how the modeling saw the wave 2 / stratospheric potential before the troposphere sync-up, too.

Going to be a cold snowy stretch here through Dec 20. I just can't call for a KU or anything historic yet but it is close for New England.

Good early thoughts last week with the thumb projection/omega type of -NAO initially which is what most of the guidance is doing now. Interesting how the modeling saw the wave 2 / stratospheric potential before the troposphere sync-up, too.

Going to be a cold snowy stretch here through Dec 20. I just can't call for a KU or anything historic yet but it is close for New England.

This post is just full on 100% frontal nudity

Over the last day or so I think the theme in both models has been to build the Aleutian ridge up a bit, and perhaps displace the -NAO to more of an east based look. That's ok I think, so long as we get a good cross polar flow from the Aleutian ridge.

It will be interesting if that strato split continues and what the downstream effects are on modeling if it indeed continues.

Yeah I could live with that as well. Though a nice lakes cutter could be the way to turn it from east based to more west based. stronger/more west based nao by day 10 on the euro ensembles..pacific pattern is not friendly in the 11-15 day (similar to what were seeing recently/this week) but that nao would save us from torching, if not keep us normal to below at the end of the day

Thanks man, was really just shooting out the idea based off some of the runs waffling back and forth with the NAO depiction... am I a weenie for thinking this resembles early dec 2010 lol? Im not predicting an exact repeat but I also know im not the first to discuss the similarities this month.

Thanks man, was really just shooting out the idea based off some of the runs waffling back and forth with the NAO depiction... am I a weenie for thinking this resembles early dec 2010 lol? Im not predicting an exact repeat but I also know im not the first to discuss the similarities this month.

If we repeated the beginning of Dec 2010, this would cause a lot of premature weenie suicides. We had cutter, then cold period, then cutter, then more cold without much snow in there at all. New England got some on Dec 20-22. Boxing Day was thread the needle of course with very little room but that came in a pattern different than the early Dec pattern.

Yes. :)

The similarities are there but the things going into 2010 and now are muuuuch different.

2009-10 and early 2010-11 had great internal waves that upwelled into the vortex and very high ozone levels. My worry is that once we give the stratospheric tornado a chance to whip on down (mid to late dec), it will seize the opportunity and bring on a warm/+AO period.

This was also my worry in 2010 by the way. whistle.gif

The stratospheric setup trumped it that year. If we successfully split the vortex, maybe we stay cold straight through January with a nice blizzard after Christmas, haha.

Judah Cohen in Harvey's winter slide show says it resembles 2010.........so not all that weenie-ish.

If we repeated the beginning of Dec 2010, this would cause a lot of premature weenie suicides. We had cutter, then cold period, then cutter, then more cold without much snow in there at all. New England got some on Dec 20-22. Boxing Day was thread the needle of course with very little room but that came in a pattern different than the early Dec pattern.

Yeah I recall that being a frustrating month from a snowfall perspective. I was fine with the first snow-less first 2 weeks and a couple of lakes cutters, seemed pretty standard for early winter and it was cold with snow showers...It was the second cutter on the 13th that turned the thumb ridge in iceland to the epic retrograding greenland block. I thought we were prime, only to see the coastal event around the 20th fail (outside of the cape i think) and at that point I was frustrated. That was quickly replaced with some more anticipation for what was a possible christmas day event at the time a week out. I recall it having more potential because we actually had a ridge on steroids out west (compared to none really around the 20th). But the trough crashing ashore the west coast was an issue. When the models lost what would be the boxing day event on the 23rd, I gave up. A wasted nao block pattern and a warm up incoming for new years. Then came the great christmas gift..

Judah Cohen in Harvey's winter slide show says it resembles 2010.........so not all that weenie-ish.

I was messing with Chris and there are similarities but we don't have the ozone or wave strength...at least not yet....of 2010.

Yes. smile.png

The similarities are there but the things going into 2010 and now are muuuuch different.

2009-10 and early 2010-11 had great internal waves that upwelled into the vortex and very high ozone levels. My worry is that once we give the stratospheric tornado a chance to whip on down (mid to late dec), it will seize the opportunity and bring on a warm/+AO period.

This was also my worry in 2010 by the way. whistle.gif

The stratospheric setup trumped it that year. If we successfully split the vortex, maybe we stay cold straight through January with a nice blizzard after Christmas, haha.

Lol brutal honesty! just brutal! Another thought process I remember stemming out of December 2010 was that we were getting extremely "lucky" to be in this cold -NAO pattern (after all it was a strong la nina/ "westerly" QBO), and if we didnt get the snow in this period, then forget it. By January 1st we would be seeing nina/ +AO take over. You and I have discussed many times what went into making all of January turn out epic for the east in the end before the true regime flip took over for February.

This later November lower stratospheric attempt of sorts as well as the Aleutian high pattern, -NAO tendency, etc.., was what lead me to finding resemblances to 2010 though...Obviously a lot more goes into it, thanks for the explanation, however degrading it was cry.gif lol

Lol brutal honesty! just brutal! Another thought process I remember stemming out of December 2010 was that we were getting extremely "lucky" to be in this cold -NAO pattern (after all it was a strong la nina/ "westerly" QBO), and if we didnt get the snow in this period, then forget it. By January 1st we would be seeing nina/ +AO take over. You and I have discussed many times what went into making all of January turn out epic for the east in the end before the true regime flip took over for February.

This later November lower stratospheric attempt of sorts as well as the Aleutian high pattern, -NAO tendency, etc.., was what lead me to finding resemblances to 2010 though...Obviously a lot more goes into it, thanks for the explanation, however degrading it was cry.gif lol

haha..

A watered down version of 2010's stratosphere / AO but with a decent STJ / different Tropical Atmosphere should make the results different in December. But in terms of the AO's negativity, the similarities are there because we probably are going to average a nice negative period coming up. So I guess it depends on how you want to define it.

The AO / stratosphere can (and has in recent winters) dominate anything Tropical Pacific related IF it is anomalous enough. The big question is: how quickly will the wave 1 setup disturb the vortex and will additional wave 2 crests continue to feedback into the Greenland Block? If they get into a sort of rhythm, the rest of this sh-t doesn't matter because the NAO will keep winning. My worry is that it won't be enough and we'll get a legitimate +AO late Dec-early Jan this time.

Maybe I should stop worrying so much. lol

haha..

A watered down version of 2010's stratosphere / AO but with a decent STJ / different Tropical Atmosphere should make the results different in December. But in terms of the AO's negativity, the similarities are there because we probably are going to average a nice negative period coming up. So I guess it depends on how you want to define it.

The AO / stratosphere can (and has in recent winters) dominate anything Tropical Pacific related IF it is anomalous enough. The big question is: how quickly will the wave 1 setup disturb the vortex and will additional wave 2 crests continue to feedback into the Greenland Block? If they get into a sort of rhythm, the rest of this sh-t doesn't matter because the NAO will keep winning. My worry is that it won't be enough and we'll get a legitimate +AO late Dec-early Jan this time.

Maybe I should stop worrying so much. lol

haha ok that makes sense. You've been pretty consistent with that "it may not be enough" mind set with regards to the stratosphere. The developments are more encouraging up there in the past couple days so it bares watching.

You know it is a very boring weather period when the most exciting thing to happen in days is wondering whether or not weak radar echos are reaching the peaks of the highest terrain before they dry out, lol.

From BTV:

STILL PAINTING A DRY FORECAST, THOUGH HAVE TO ADMIT SOME OF THE

RETURNS SHOWING UP ON RADAR (SPECIFICALLY THE NARROW BAND FROM

LAKE ERIE AND INTO THE CENTRAL ADIRONDACKS) MAY BE REACHING THE

GROUND IN THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS IN THE FORM OF A STRAY

FLURRY/RAINDROP/GRAUPLE BUT NOT REALLY SURE. LOW LEVELS OF THE ATMOSPHERE

ARE FAIRLY DRY AND AS BEST AS I CAN TELL FROM SATELLITE IMAGERY,

THESE RETURNS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH SOME MID-LEVEL ALTOCUMULUS, SO

IT`S PRIMARILY VIRGA.

Archived