Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in Brooklyn for 47 years up to November 1996...I heard stories about the flooding from the 1944 storm...This storm's storm surge in Brooklyn is mind boggling...The last time this happened no one except the Indians lived there...South Beach and Midland beach were known for flooding...Ave Y wasn't...

I am shocked that the water from the bay reached Avenue Y.

They still have no power in Colts Neck. Tomorrow will make one week. Really getting ridiculous.

Parents still have nothing in Holmdel...always seem to have a late response down ur way...during irene my parents went 2 weeks...alot of cutting back this summer, seem to help nothing....totally unacceptable

Well, no power here still in lake hopatcong (Jefferson Twsp in Morris Co.). Rumor has it from a guy who has a brother who works for JCPL (take with a grain of salt) some of the hard hit areas in the interior might no be live until the 24th.

It could be worse. Sunday night my neighbor went outside to investigate a tree that hit his home and another one came down on top of him. He broke his nose and his neck. Luckily no terrible nerve damage and will likely recover fully in time.

Happy I just have lost power.

I have been talking to my neighbors back in Long Beach and Island Park and many of them have lost

just about everything except the clothes that they were wearing when the hurricane hit. Heartbreaking

photos like the one below are common throughout the hardest hit coastal zones along the South Shore.

http://www.boston.co...ry.html#photo37

those are like multimillion dollar homes....heartbreaking might not be the word i would use

those are like multimillion dollar homes....heartbreaking might not be the word i would use

The houses right along the beach and the bay are the multi-million dollar properties. But the majority of the

houses in between are owned blue collar people who renovated the old summer bungalow houses into year

round properties. The Long Beach West End is a unique place where working class people are neighbors

with high 6 and 7 figure earners.

NY Mag did a feature on one of the million dollar properties which was absolutely gorgeous.

http://nymag.com/hom...st-chin-2012-6/

http://www.american-architects.com/en/projects/detail_thickbox/34689

This is from Bloomberg's press conference regarding Hurricane Sandy on October 27. This is what he had to say about the storm.

This is a dangerous storm, and I think we’re going to be okay, but if it were to strengthen unexpectedly or change its expected path it could do a lot of damage, and you could be at risk.

So if things are the way it’s planned and if everybody does what they’re supposed to do, we will get through this very nicely and look back on it and say maybe we can offer some help to other parts of the area upstate or below us, south of us, which might get hit a lot harder.

The trajectory says that the storm will hit a little bit south of us, the Maryland/Delaware area. Nobody’s exactly sure where landfall is going to be, but we are working to ensure that no matter how or when the storm arrives the City will be well prepared and our residents safe.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2012/10/mayor-bloomberg-update-on-hurricane-sandy-storm-prep-dont-be-complacent-nyc

The houses right along the beach and the bay are the multi-million dollar properties. But the majority of the

houses in between are owned blue collar people who renovated the old summer bungalow houses into year

round properties. The Long Beach West End is a unique place where working class people are neighbors

with high 6 and 7 figure earners.

NY Mag did a feature on one of the million dollar properties which was absolutely gorgeous.

http://nymag.com/hom...st-chin-2012-6/

http://www.american-..._thickbox/34689

yea im sorry that probably came off as a little insensitive.....

Still no power. My neighborhood is a mess, but flooding was not an issue. Visiting friends with an internet connection tonight. It felt good to take a hot shower.

I'm aghast at the loss of prized trees around here, but I know worse things have happened with Sandy. Just not sure of the extent yet. Portable radio was full of details about the roackaways, Battery and SI, but I don't really know how bad the LI coast was yet. I took a trip to the mouth of Smithtown Bay and there was significant erosion, but it didn't appear that there was a great flood. Guessing it was worse farther west.

Still no power. My neighborhood is a mess, but flooding was not an issue. Visiting friends with an internet connection tonight. It felt good to take a hot shower.

I'm aghast at the loss of prized trees around here, but I know worse things have happened with Sandy. Just not sure of the extent yet. Portable radio was full of details about the roackaways, Battery and SI, but I don't really know how bad the LI coast was yet. I took a trip to the mouth of Smithtown Bay and there was significant erosion, but it didn't appear that there was a great flood. Guessing it was worse farther west.

Glad you made it through okay, Ed.

Still no power here in North Massapequa. There was extensive damage to the power lines on our street (here they run through the back yards, between blocks). I've seen convoys of trucks from Hydro Quebec going by on the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway, but they seem to be headed towards the south shore. What I wouldn't give for a nice hot shower right now... I tried taking a very cold shower a couple of days ago, and the term "shrinkage" doesn't accurately describe what I experienced... More like "permanent retreat". Yikes.

Still no power here in North Massapequa. There was extensive damage to the power lines on our street (here they run through the back yards, between blocks). I've seen convoys of trucks from Hydro Quebec going by on the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway, but they seem to be headed towards the south shore. What I wouldn't give for a nice hot shower right now... I tried taking a very cold shower a couple of days ago, and the term "shrinkage" doesn't accurately describe what I experienced... More like "permanent retreat". Yikes.

I hear you about the cold water. I asked Mrs Northshore to help me with a spongebath, but she thought I was scamming her.

Hopefully we'll both get power soon. The crews working in my neighborhood today were from New Brunswick (Canada...not Earthlightville).

Hey, glad to see you're safe!!

Thanks. I stayed at my parents' place which has an upstairs, so I cooped out there for the night. Just undescribable destruction down in LB as well as chaos given lack of information and gas lines through the last few days. Spent a good chunk of the last few days cleaning out garbage and reaching out to FEMA. For civilization's sake, hope all that improves in the next few days.

Like I said before all this, you can wish a blizzard/regular nor'easter all you want, but a catastrophe like this is just beyond all bounds. The misery down on the south shore is just unbelievable. Glad I'm going into work tomorrow finally so I can be away from it for a while.

Just an FYI, NY Sports Club is allowing folks to use their locker room facilities to shower, etc. they just ask you bring your own towel. So if you have a NYSC gym nearby head there for a hot shower, assuming the club has power itself.

I'm wondering if LIPA will undergo some sort of effort to split the company into Nassau and Suffolk entities over the next several years. It would seem that would be much easier to deal with things during outages, you can even split the out of state crews based on the population of the 2 counties.

Parents still have nothing in Holmdel...always seem to have a late response down ur way...during irene my parents went 2 weeks...alot of cutting back this summer, seem to help nothing....totally unacceptable

Mayor Engel getting frustrated with JCP and L, as we should be. The problem is Colts Neck has it much worse b/c of the well water situation. No one can drink, flush toilets, or take showers without electricity. Plus no heat with the freezing temps, the Mayor is getting worried about loss of life...

http://www.app.com/viewart/20121104/NJNEWS/311050008/Colts-Neck-still-dark-mayor-worries-about-deaths

Thanks. I stayed at my parents' place which has an upstairs, so I cooped out there for the night. Just undescribable destruction down in LB as well as chaos given lack of information and gas lines through the last few days. Spent a good chunk of the last few days cleaning out garbage and reaching out to FEMA. For civilization's sake, hope all that improves in the next few days.

Like I said before all this, you can wish a blizzard/regular nor'easter all you want, but a catastrophe like this is just beyond all bounds. The misery down on the south shore is just unbelievable. Glad I'm going into work tomorrow finally so I can be away from it for a while.

It's great to hear from you. The sights driving back into Long Beach two days after Sandy were beyond description.

The water stopped about 4 inches from entering my old place down in the East End.

Well, no power here still in lake hopatcong (Jefferson Twsp in Morris Co.). Rumor has it from a guy who has a brother who works for JCPL (take with a grain of salt) some of the hard hit areas in the interior might no be live until the 24th.

This is apparently true. A friend just posted on Facebook that there is damaged equipment high on a mountain and crews cannot reach it to do repairs. She heard sometime around Thanksgiving.

lolz.

I meant to ask you, What's the deal with every other establishment in this town being a bar? I don't think I've seen so many bars concentrated into one street like I have here.

To be honest, it just sorta happened. Its not a huge college town or anything obviously, and 15 years ago the area was very different.

Archived