EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Hurricane Sandy OBS (Part ii)

Alpha5

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/lhota-apologizes-calling-bloomberg-idiot-article-1.1199479

Now "he" feels like the idiot.

MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota called Mayor Bloomberg early Friday morning to apologize for disparaging the mayor during a telephone conversation with a top state official a day earlier.

During the call with the official, Lhota said Bloomberg, "like an idiot," publicly predicted the flooded Midtown Tunnel would be opened again over the weekend.

In fact, the crossing was ready for traffic again Friday, Lhota told state director of operations Howard Glaser.

Unfortunately for Lhota, he wasn't alone in his office. A reporter working on a long piece about the MTA's successful restoration of subway service was there, pen in hand, when the call came in. It was duly noted.

Hurricane Sandy is the 2nd costliest hurricane . 52.4 billion dollars. WOW.

The 52.4 billion number includes nonproperty damage (Buisness losses) while all the other ones include property damage only. Not sure what the total property losses are. Property damage may only be around $20-25 billion. That would put it 6th, behind Andrew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_costliest_Atlantic_hurricanes

SXUS71 KPHI 132137

RERPHL

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

437 PM EST TUE NOV 13 2012

...RECORD SETTING WAVE HEIGHTS AT BUOY 44065 EAST OF SANDY HOOK AND

BUOY 44025 LOCATED 30 NAUTICAL MILES SOUTH OF ISLIP LONG ISLAND

DURING THE EVENING OF OCTOBER 29 2012...

WHILE THE OFFICIAL PERIOD OF RECORD IS VERY SHORT FOR BUOY 44065...

DATING BACK TO 2008...THE 32.5 FT WAVE HEIGHT REPORTED AT 850 PM EDT

MONDAY EVENING OCTOBER 29 2012 AT BUOY 44065 LOCATED NEAR THE

ENTRANCE TO NY HARBOR - 15 NAUTICAL MILES SOUTHEAST OF BREEZY POINT

NY...EXCEEDED THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 26 FEET SET AT ABOUT 9 AM

AUGUST 28TH 2011, ASSOCIATED WITH IRENE.

AT BUOY 44025...30 NAUTICAL MILES SOUTH OF ISLIP NY...THE RECORD 31

FOOT WAVE HEIGHT AT ABOUT 8 PM EDT MONDAY EVENING OCTOBER 29 2012,

EXCEEDED THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 30 FEET SET ON DECEMBER 11 1992. THE

PERIOD OF RECORD AT BUOY 44025 BEGAN IN 1975.

BASED ON THE THE INFORMATION PROVIDED...IT IS SAFE TO SAY THAT BOTH

NATIONAL DATA BUOY LOCATIONS NEAREST SANDY HOOK...ACHIEVED A RECENT

RECORD EXTREME SEA STATE ON TOP OF AND PROBABLY VERY CLOSE TO THE

TIME OF THE RECORD STORM TIDE AT SANDY HOOK. ONE CAN INFER FROM THE

DATA THAT THESE WAVE HEIGHTS WERE THE LARGEST SINCE RECORD KEEPING

BEGAN IN THIS PORTION OF THE WESTERN ATLANTIC IN 1975.

$$

DRAG

Rabbi Goodman's apartment was destroyed in the same location:

Still blows my mind every time i see a new vid. 5 blocks or so from my old place.

I think one of the greatest examples of the power in the ocean that night is the purple boulder that was on top the Roosevelt jetty/groin was tossed off. That rock is several tons.

Still blows my mind every time i see a new vid. 5 blocks or so from my old place.

I think one of the greatest examples of the power in the ocean that night is the purple boulder that was on top the Roosevelt jetty/groin was tossed off. That rock is several tons.

The Rabbi's apartment was only around a half mile away from my old place also. I was just down on Pacific

and Roosevelt beach the other day and it was a remarkable to see the whole row of dunes just got

flattened with small remnants left over. My old neighbor told me that when the moon broke through the

clouds he could really see the surge rushing up my old street. The surge came within inches of flooding

out my old place, while several of my neighbors with a lower foundation pretty much lost everything on their

first floor. Someone posted the photo below of how deep the waters got in the low lying West End.

The Rabbi's apartment was only around a half mile away from my old place also. I was just down on Pacific

and Roosevelt beach the other day and it was a remarkable to see the whole row of dunes just got

flattened with small remnants left over. My old neighbor told me that when the moon broke through the

clouds he could really see the surge rushing up my old street. The surge came within inches of flooding

out my old place, while several of my neighbors with a lower foundation pretty much lost everything on their

first floor. Someone posted the photo below of how deep the waters got in the low lying West End.

We have small-ish bushes outside my house which is 2 blocks from the Channel in the Westholme area. The water got to the top of those bushes, and up about to the top of a metal fence that surrounds part of the house. I'd estimate that's about 4ft high, and the water line into the house was about 2.5-3ft high (there's a small step before you walk into my house). FEMA's inspecting tomorrow, hoping for the best. Lots and lots of work that needs to be done. sad.png

I remember seeing a lot of posts pooh-poohing the storm in the hours before the eye and surge came in, and I said that people 6 hours from then would be singing a far different tune. Had no idea how right I would be. The speed at which the water rose was just incredible. The timing close to high tide undoubtedly made it worse. It's hard for me to imagine how long it will take for Long Beach to recover after some of the destruction I saw. The bottom floors of just about every apartment building and condo near the beach literally got ripped out and filled with sand/debris. The cars picked up and moved was also an amazing sight. I remember hearing car alarms going off all through that night along with the roaring wind and I knew what a horrific scene was unfolding.

We have small-ish bushes outside my house which is 2 blocks from the Channel in the Westholme area. The water got to the top of those bushes, and up about to the top of a metal fence that surrounds part of the house. I'd estimate that's about 4ft high, and the water line into the house was about 2.5-3ft high (there's a small step before you walk into my house). FEMA's inspecting tomorrow, hoping for the best. Lots and lots of work that needs to be done. sad.png

I remember seeing a lot of posts pooh-poohing the storm in the hours before the eye and surge came in, and I said that people 6 hours from then would be singing a far different tune. Had no idea how right I would be. The speed at which the water rose was just incredible. The timing close to high tide undoubtedly made it worse. It's hard for me to imagine how long it will take for Long Beach to recover after some of the destruction I saw. The bottom floors of just about every apartment building and condo near the beach literally got ripped out and filled with sand/debris. The cars picked up and moved was also an amazing sight. I remember hearing car alarms going off all through that night along with the roaring wind and I knew what a horrific scene was unfolding.

Im not even near the water and I had 7 feet in my basement, but still I was lucky compared to those closer to the water. Places near the canal in Howard Beach had water up to and in some cases into the 2nd floor of homes. The surge was close to 9 feet on the north end of Jamaica Bay.

Archived