Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The winds are going to be backing throughout the day...there's actually a decent inversion right now over LI and the south coast on the soundings. It will erode throughout the day as the winds back more to the east.

I suspect we'll see some gusts ramping up more as the winds keep turning more easterly.

Called the folks back home in SW CT, they said both wind and rain starting to pick up, luckily they're away from the immediate coast, so flooding should not be a problem, but the town expects serious damage for some low lying, sound-shore properties.

Up here in Madison County NY, nothing yet. Winds are calm with occasional drizzle

Well the obs are clearly not living up to what was modeled at this time.. maybe we'll start mixing down better though.

Also maybe sandy staying more tropical makes a difference..

I don't know... model soundings that I was using yesterday seem to have pegged things IMO.

I don't really rely on any 10M wind output.

Winds are doing exactly what was modelled. I hate when folks do this

I'm not trying to say storm cancel at all, but in skier's defense the NAM/GFS models at this time did appear to have stronger winds along the south coast...but it could be 50-70kts at 950-925 and still only 40kts sfc cause Will mentioned a decent low level inversion down there.

I think we spent so much time looking at H95-H85 winds that we are now expecting surface winds to reflect that.

Just look at the 00z and last nights 18z and see what winds they had for 18z today (in an hour or two)...especially if the storm is moving faster than guidance.

From UI:

There have been reports that UI will de-energize a Bridgeport substation at noon.Currently, UI has No plans to de-energize any subs

Correct, the tide came in lower than expected at that location (this high tide).....good news. There are 35k-40k customers that would have been affected.

BOX

WINDS WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE THRU THE DAY WITH

THE STRONGEST WINDS OCCURRING BETWEEN 2 PM - 8 PM. A SECOND PULSE

OF DAMAGING WINDS ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS CT/RI AND SOUTHEAST MA

AROUND 8 PM AS WARM SECTOR TRIES TO OVERSPREAD THIS AREA WHICH

WILL ENHANCE MOMENTUM TRANSFER AS WINDS SHIFT FROM NE TO SE AND

LOW LEVEL INVERSION ERODES. THIS ALSO COINCIDES WITH POSSIBLE TROP

FOLD AS TROPOPAUSE RAPIDLY DESCENDS DOWNWARD. IMPRESSIVE PRES

RISE/FALL COUPLET LIKELY ASSOCIATED WITH THIS

Archived