joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 3ft surge in Stamford is very concerning to me. The Monday AM high tide around 11:30 a.m. is only for3ecast to have a surge near 4.4ft. I think we may do better than that and actually exceed Irene levels during the morning!

I have a hard time seeing how water doesn't stay piled up overnight with NE flow pinning it in the sound. Something the surge models most definitely aren't accounting for.

I know you had mentioned the state of the center of circulation being more oval like (the hurricane hunters have also reported an elliptical eye), and that can lead to more wobbling just due to the asymmetric nature.

Yeah sometimes you get that weird dumbelling kind of motion. You have folks down on the bay in RI?

Wow, that's an interesting map Will. That's about 1/2 mile up? What would surface maps look like at the same time?

950mb is about 900 feet up at 21z tomorrow in BOS...that's whats so impressive about it. I don't think I've ever seen forecast soundings this impressive for wind in SNE since I've been forecasting.

The December 23-24, 1994 soundings are pretty close to these out on the Cape...but not further west in E MA.

My ignorance here, but if that is 950mb, won't that be closer to 1000 feet or so? 925 is 2500 ft

Given the extreme low pressures.. down here at least... 950mb is not much over 500 feet. 613 feet to be exact at Groton.

That's one of the reasons the 950mb winds are stronger up north I think.. 950mb down on LI is practically the surface.

Significant high tide right now, will try to get some photos but it's pretty ugly. Going to get much worse with the morning tide.

The tide this evening here got up to the boardwalk already. Going to be horrendous tomorrow, I agree. Landfall looks to be just prior to our high tide (ours is around 8PM-8:30).

Schools closed here in Dedham along with what seems to be most other schools in the state. I could see winds gusting to 55mph here maybe but I'm not sure if that forecast constitutes shutting down school. I guess time will tell and I've got flashlights and some water so If it somehow rips through here worse than I'm expecting, we'll be good.

We're having a crew come from Indy, FL, and SFO. Lots of cancellations but one person's flight was moved up to arrive at 830AM. I think that's a low likelihood unless they can turn the plane around quickly.

Just had an hour walk with the dog. My wife says it was windier prior and my theory is that while the storm was further SW the gradient NE-SW was stronger but now she's still heading NE and not until it turns back will winds increase. Right? Strange to have a hurricance preceeded by cool raw conditions. My wife picked up a pile of leaves while I was in Phoenix......feeling guilty but not too much. lol...

Archived