joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty sure sandy is significantly east of the nhc track. You never know how much these differences matter.. sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Sandy currently at 70.4W moving NNE and looks like it will get close to 70W which the nhc track never did.

anyways... sandy's eye is looking pretty awesome right now.. convection strengthening too on the west side.

About 18-20 knots on the edge of the water. Seas about 6-7 feet. There's going to be significant dune erosion and a few of the homes up by the course may be in trouble. There's one to the north that's been pulled back and on blocks for a year or two abandoned that may go for a swim on the morning high tide. I think most will do okay from the canal to Manomet tonight...morning tide is probably going to take stairs with it and hopefully that's it.

The models have been sliding south or holding all day so if that happens it will be an epic bust of all time for every major model.

Yes. Even if they weren't trending this sharp turn has been in the cards for many days. Which is kind of why I perversely hope it happens.

Any minor shifts in the models now are basically irrelevant to the larger scale of impacts for SNE. The only thing that would cause a drastic change is if the models all of the sudden took the storm well out to the east with a wider turn or if they hooked it very early into the Delmarva peninsula. Both scenarios are quite unlikely at this point.

2cgc2rn.jpg

2qnulbd.jpg

925mb and 950mb in that order....you can even see how the GFS lifts the LLJ north all the way up into southern Maine still with 950mb winds over 70 knots:

346xrvq.jpg

Just some moderate rain and a few gusts so far. The place out in Oakland is under a blizzard watch. LOL

I can't leave the flatland house, unfortunately.

That's nuts. Did you guys (western areas) get anything from the Halloween storm last year in terms of snow? From one of the offices...this is insane.

http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=lwx&wwa=blizzard warning

00z GFS definitely shifted south

Yeah no doubt. I was just watching WCVB's later report and Harvey Leonard was talking about the latest indications are more S for the wind, but still stressed 60-70 gusts possible in Mass. Seems there's a buy in there?

I'm just hoping last late October's little pruning effort will save the Rt 2 corridor because I really, really just don't want another 6 days of that -

It hasn't quite reached the Gulf Stream yet either I don't think.

Interesting how it is going to magically become extratropical in the last few hours before landfall ...according to NHC.

Sandy looks healthy tonight. Someone is getting alot more than forecasted wind wise. Maybe 90-100 gusts in NJ and on the backside in MD/DC/BWI.

Means time to drink a Rolling Rock...where were you in the 90s?

Watching WHDH from scituate same experience here...tide is way up but did not get up beyond the edge of the walls/dunes. We'll see in 12 hours. We have lost about a 1-2' of sand based on the stakes.

Nah, I think it's glitch in the weather matrix and some code slipped through - ha.

1990's ? Finishing college and wondering -

I just toyed around briefly with the momentum transfer tool in BUFKIT and at EWR it only maxes out at 45kts to the surface despite having 100kt winds at ~1600 m. Once the winds shift to the southeast tomorrow night there is 70kt winds at 900 hPa yet the momentum transfer is only printing out 27 kts. Is that tool not designed to handle situations like this? (I don't exactly know how it is calculated). It even shows the mixing layer tapping well into those 70+kt jets, so I'm not really sure why it's showing what it is.... seems odd.

The 00z GFS is alarming for my area. I'm riding this out near Trenton. The combination of sting jet prospects of upper level evaporation and steepening lower lapse rates will also make the right quadrant particularly interesting post-landfall despite the enlarging / non-tropical-like wind field.

Archived