joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sandy VI disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity - with the different categories there are in the saffir simpson scale, what are the different storm surge probablities associated per category?

It's more complicated than that, since storm surge also depends strongly on the size and fetch of a storm, tides and many other factors in addition to intensity, which is why Ike in 2008, although only a Category 2 at landfall, had storm surge rivaling many Category 4/5 storms. Katrina was also a very large storm, and it was a Category 5 shortly prior to making landfall as a Category 3, thus you had an extremely large storm surge.

There is no cut and dry category to surge level comparison. I was just commenting with a friend how I don't like the inundation maps the various states have out there because they associate areas flooded to category rather than water level. After all water level is the only thing that matters. We can all but guarantee that Sandy will be for all intents and purposes a category 1 at landfall but carry a surge much greater than that due to the nearly perfect angle of approach.

Where is the "like" button. Water is already high in Watch Hill

That's incredible.

Will the sound surge actually get into Coop City (what a beautiful sounding place)? That's pretty low-lying right near the sound isn't it?

Its on a back Bay they will be flooding; also up thru Rye, New Rochelle, Mamaronack , Fort Slocum A good chunk of the East and Southeast Bronx will flood too: City Island, Westchester Bay, Clason Point, Castle Hill, Hunts Point, Throggs Neck SUNY Maritime academy area

CO-OP city is a real **** hole.

They are near Eastchester Bay, and it will probably flood out.

I ate at a Checkers restaurant in CO-OP one time, good burgers, sketchy people.

Anyway a shift to the north in the LF of this storm would prove even worse for the Shoreline or no?

Plus wouldn't a faster forward speed add to those 70-90 mph gusts?

If the storm went further east and landfall was further north...the surge in LI sound would probably be slightly less than a landfall in C NJ. It would be worse, however, in Narragansett Bay, Buzzards Bay and the south coast of RI. Also probably worse for E MA areas, like the south shore communities.

The surge wasn't close to that in Long Island Sound.

The 12/92 peak surge was 5.9ft at Kings Point.

Willets Point, Cold Spring Harbor, and Mill Neck on the north shore of western LI all saw surges in excess of 10 feet. Wasn't Bridgeport also in excess of 10 feet above NGVD in December 1992?

Willets Point, Cold Spring Harbor, and Mill Neck on the north shore of western LI all saw surges in excess of 10 feet. Wasn't Bridgeport also in excess of 10 feet above NGVD in December 1992?

No, Bridgeport was 4.3 ft above astro.

I don't know where you got those numbers for those 3 locations... but you may be looking at storm tide and not surge. Kings Point was quite vulnerable and they were "only" 5.9 ft.

Not surprised that Willets Point was higher... but 10ft surges were likely quite isolated.

I don't know where you got those numbers for those 3 locations... but you may be looking at storm tide and not surge. Kings Point was quite vulnerable and they were "only" 5.9 ft.

Not surprised that Willets Point was higher... but 10ft surges were likely quite isolated.

This is where the confysuion arises...ultimate where the water gets up too is all that matters...the surge is an additive component to the storm tide and ultimately this is what people will see. No?

I don't know where you got those numbers for those 3 locations... but you may be looking at storm tide and not surge. Kings Point would have been most vulnerable and they were "only" 5.9 ft.

My numbers were height above NGVD. Not astro tide. So I suppose I was referring to storm tide.

If that is the case and they are truly expecting a 10 foot surge, and not storm tide...then that would destroy all the records.

Archived