EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as severe weather events are exciting and just interesting to witness from a scientific point of view, this is one event that I hope is not as significant as projected.

Really not looking forward to days without power, major flooding, and tree damage with this. We still have all our leaves, which will exacerbate both the tree damage and flooding due to clogging of storm drains from the amount of leaves that will fall. Hopefully the track still changes or the storm isn't quite as strong as forecast, I'll take a blizzard over this any day.

As much as severe weather events are exciting and just interesting to witness from a scientific point of view, this is one event that I hope is not as significant as projected.

Really not looking forward to days without power, major flooding, and tree damage with this. We still have all our leaves, which will exacerbate both the tree damage and flooding due to clogging of storm drains from the amount of leaves that will fall. Hopefully the track still changes or the storm isn't quite as strong as forecast, I'll take a blizzard over this any day.

This will be a nasty storm for most. thankfully most of the leaves are fallen up here. I've seen gusts around 110 mph or so with full foliage (microbursts in Bob on Cape Cod), it's pretty ridiculous when the roar and shriek of the wind is overwhelmed by the noise caused by crashing and slamming of objects. The gust potential looks like a cat 1 or at worst low-end cat 2.

Nice quick 10 miler. Actually a little muggy out there this morning. I was noticing that about 85-90% of the trees are now bare even Oaks..Even in the dark you can tell. This is the earliest I ever recall the Oaks coming down.

Anyway..GFS looks just about dead nuts on top of 00z.

nearly the complete opposite here. i've heard this from several folks and its funny because we are nowhere near leaf drop here. maybe after tues. :lol:

i wish ecmwf would just make all their stupid data available for free. so obnoxious not having it all.

regardless...fwiw...a 4km nam product i have takes sandy into extreme S NJ and still absolutely pounds east coastal SNE. sustained surface winds 40-60 knots, mean wind up to 30 mb of 70 to 75 knots and 925 jet to 90 knots.

i wish ecmwf would just make all their stupid data available for free. so obnoxious not having it all.

regardless...fwiw...a 4km nam product i have takes sandy into extreme S NJ and still absolutely pounds east coastal SNE. sustained surface winds 40-60 knots, mean wind up to 30 mb of 70 to 75 knots and 92

5 jet to 90 knots.

Phil do you have the 00z euro ens? Thanks

Noted the 5 am NHC advisory where north of the current TS warning area, they are having local offices issue Storm/High Wind warnings. Looking at the watches being issued by Mount Holly confirms this. A bit surprised, figured they would treat as tropical up until landfall.

New recon..Hmmmm

URNT12 KWBC 271044

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 27/10:27:20Z

B. 28 deg 47 min N

076 deg 40 min W

C. NA

D. 58 kt

E. 313 deg 35 nm

F. 026 deg 53 kt

G. 314 deg 38 nm

H. 961 mb