• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

Am I missing something or is the Euro run far enough south where the worst surge is not maximized in NYC and the south coast? Aren't the winds 15-25 MPH less on the coast and 20-30 inland? doesn't the Euro make landfall in Delaware not NJ?

again from Mt Holly, which has responsibility for NJ:

COASTAL FLOOD...USING CURRENT SLOWLY INCREASING DEPARTURES

COMBINED WITH GFS ETSS AND NAM RELATED CBOFS/DBOFS PREDICTORS WE

ALREADY HAVE A MINOR COASTAL FLOOD THREAT ALONG THE ATLANTIC

WATERS FOR THE SUNDAY MORNING-MIDDAY HIGH TIDE CYCLES WITH

APPROXIMATE 2 FOOT SURGES /NEW NOV 4 HIGHER CRITERIA

NOTWITHSTANDING/ AND THEN A MODERATE TO MAJOR COASTAL FLOOD THREAT

FOR AT LEAST THE MIDDAY MONDAY HIGH TIDE CYCLE AS LOWERING

PRESSURE AND A POUNDING NE WIND OF 50 TO 60 KT BUILDS A 4 FOOT

SURGE WITH SEAS OF AT LEAST 15 FEET EXPECTED ALONG THE COAST. THE

WORST FLOODING WILL BE NORTH OF THE EVENTUAL TRACK OF THE WESTWARD

MOVING CYCLONE...EXPECTED TO BE NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...ESPECIALLY

MONMOUTH MIDDLESEX COUNTIES WHERE THE RISK OF MODERATE TO MAJOR

COASTAL FLOODING MAY LINGER FOR THE LATE MONDAY EVENING HIGH TIDE

CYCLE. HOW SEVERE THE FLOODING AT SANDY HOOK...FROM THIS DISTANT

VANTAGE POINT IT IS A BIT DIFFICULT TO BE SURE...BUT THERE IS A

LOW PROBABILITY FOR A FLOOD OF RECORD THERE...CERTAINLY A TOP 5

EVENT WITH THE WORST SO FAR BEING 10.1 FT MLLW IN HURRICANE DONNA

SEPT 12 1960 FOLLOWED BY IRENES 9.8 FT LAST AUGUST 28

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am confused and wondering why Sandy is taking that left hand hook into S NJ after last night's runs..and yes its true,folks will let their guard down. To me the models still have no idea on a solution on what the outcome will be ..The Euro has basically brainwashed the NHC on the track into southern new jersey,delmarva...seriously..wrong...Other models such as the GFS brings Sandy into New York City...I just don't know what to make of this.,..NHC cone of I don't know where to place the dam cone shift further south,will make people in New England back off and that could be deadly...whole thing smells of a Euro bust and a GFS win...very complex situation.

Has been and will be a major point of discussion with this storm: how to alert a public that has rarely if ever seen a hybrid storm like this. Continue to call it a Cat 1 Hurricane prior to landfall, even though it will not be a hurricane? Call it a tropical storm, even though its impacts may surpass the recent public memory of hurricane Irene?

NHC seems to be hedging, on the one hand weakening to a Tropical Storm now based on max winds, but on the other hand calling for this to become a Cat 1 Hurricane before landfall, perhaps for the sake of public awareness.

latest vortex message has it dropping 8mb to 961mb in the last six hours with 72mph surface winds. It may be re-titled a hurricane at 11am.

Edit: That was fast LOL

Has been and will be a major point of discussion with this storm: how to alert a public that has rarely if ever seen a hybrid storm like this. Continue to call it a Cat 1 Hurricane prior to landfall, even though it will not be a hurricane? Call it a tropical storm, even though its impacts may surpass the recent public memory of hurricane Irene?

NHC seems to be hedging, on the one hand weakening to a Tropical Storm now based on max winds, but on the other hand calling for this to become a Cat 1 Hurricane before landfall, perhaps for the sake of public awareness.

Geezus make that 5, just got 2 emails back saying you better listen to the radio it has been downgraded, oh well hope they are ready at least.

It will be a hell of a storm, just not sure of worse case scenario here. I would be concerned SW coastal CT and LI sound.

Yeah should be pretty fun. I'm really curious about what winds are realized at the surface. It could go Kevin's way it it could be speeds that we regularly see with strong CAA after a winter storm.

Another interesting aspect is I think the trees are likely more used to strong winds from the west or northwest....bare trees may be able to handle 60mph out of the NW but might be weaker to that type of east wind.

When you have Upton saying 2-3' idkkkk how people would prepare, that's way to low

That's because of the angle of approach and winds. Look at the srfc wind speeds. It will be NE for a while which will help areas except LI sound. However, as it heads into NJ, that's when winds go south and potentially pile water into the city in a hurry. If this coincides with high tide, it would be very bad imo.

I am confused and wondering why Sandy is taking that left hand hook into S NJ after last night's runs..and yes its true,folks will let their guard down. To me the models still have no idea on a solution on what the outcome will be ..The Euro has basically brainwashed the NHC on the track into southern new jersey,delmarva...seriously..wrong...Other models such as the GFS brings Sandy into New York City...I just don't know what to make of this.,..NHC cone of I don't know where to place the dam cone shift further south,will make people in New England back off and that could be deadly...whole thing smells of a Euro bust and a GFS win...very complex situation.

Many of the hurricane models also have an Euro-esque track.

I watched some Boston mets last night and was surprised at some of them downplaying the event since the track was into NJ. Bouchard had a lame "strike map" graphic that showed most of New England in the less likely camp of experiencing a landfall. What purpose does that map serve for us? All that matters is the strength and location of that LLJ and how much we're able to mix down. Even though Noyes has been in passive weenie mode he at least got this point across.

Hey guys, and maybe this should go in the banter thread so move it if need be, but looking at the wind forecast that Mt. Holly has out for all of Jersey, even down to the coast, it seems a bit absurd to me. Right now, they have High Wind Watches out for there area, and the wording is pretty soft. 35-45 MPH, up to 65 MPH gusts, and that includes all the way down to the coast.

To me, that seems dangerously conservative if Sandy is going to slam into central/southern NJ. Given that BOX is talking about up to 100 MPH gusts in SNE, I can't see the justification for what Mt Holly is putting out.

Wouldn't it be far more realistic to put in the wording 50-60 MPH sustained winds and 85 MPH gusts, ESPECIALLY on the coast. They make this sound like a run of the mill storm?

Wow we are tanking...

URNT12 KNHC 271208

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 27/11:50:30Z

B. 28 deg 46 min N

076 deg 48 min W

C. 850 mb 1055 m

D. 67 kt

E. 223 deg 70 nm

F. 315 deg 91 kt

G. 225 deg 93 nm

H. 957 mb

I. 14 C / 1523 m

J. 23 C / 1523 m

K. 17 C / NA

L. NA

M. NA

N. 12345 / 8

O. 0.02 / 1 nm

P. AF302 1518A SANDY OB 05

MAX FL WIND 91 KT SW QUAD 11:19:30Z

;

EDIT:

vs.

0Z Euro 968 mb for 12z Sat

0Z GFS 972 mb for 12z Sat

I watched some Boston mets last night and was surprised at some of them downplaying the event since the track was into NJ. Bouchard had a lame "strike map" graphic that showed most of New England in the less likely camp of experiencing a landfall. What purpose does that map serve for us? All that matters is the strength and location of that LLJ and how much we're able to mix down. Even though Noyes has been in passive weenie mode he at least got this point across.

He always does that. I don't call him Poo-Poo Pete for nothing. He also said in a tweet that he would shave his head if this phases, Well, time to pay up..but he is bald anyways.

None of the models, even the ones that went crazy with the pressure, had the storm strengthening like this at this point. Unclear of the relevance of this deepening now in regards to the capture later. Could the pressure rise again soon or we in the long term warm seclusion deepening process prior to landfall?

Yeah, I flipped between all the local and Boston 11pm broadcasts and I was shocked by the mellow attitudes.

Bouchard was pretty much meh about Sandy for SNE but nbd is his thing and sometimes he scores the coup. He does generally stand by his forecasts and readily admits when they fail.

Still the Boston mets should really be warning coastal residents with stronger wording.

Archived