Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

irishbri, I accidentally deleted your post on my mobile phone, sorry. the gfes mean is roughly NW into the central nj coast

I know it's bc I'm trolling from outside my PHL region ;-)

Thanks for answering my questions. Just astonishing meteorology going on, trying to soak up as much as I can and contribute what I know.

Good luck to all you up here and stay safe.

It not only will be huge but over at least 3 tide cycles. ALL of the back bays on the western end of the sound from CT thru Westchester and Bronx and Northern Queens Counties will flood. The Dec 1992 coastal caused flooding on the runway at LGA (the one that extends ENE out over LI Sound I also believe there were rocks from the surrounding jetty that got heaved up on to the runway). The East River Drive will truly become that. The PATH Tubes between NJ and Lower Manhattan will flood.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Tappan Zee and Whitestone Bridge closed. The latter sways like a mother. (Side note: It was built by the same company that built "Galloping Gertie" over the Tacoma Narrows back in the 1930s which collapsed).

I've personally done a lot of research on the Whitestone Bridge and they've done a lot of retrofitting of it over the years. Although they might close it, I'm positive it won't have any issues as far as collapsing.

Archived