Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS initialized 10 mb too low with the sfc pressure.

LF is similar to the NAM in the low 950's, far SW tip of LI heading just south of NYC.

Where are you getting that the GFS initialized 10 mb too low with the surface pressure? Map I am looking at shows 979 mb at initialization, which is several mb too high.

Never seen anything like this event, with this storm taking on some of the best attributes of tropical and baroclinic systems. What is undoubtedly most impressive is the heat engine aspects of this storm and the amount of latent energy we are talking here. While the baroclinic side does not come close to the best Nor'easters, the latent energy blows almost if not all away. Some of the dynamical maps from this event are mind-boggling...simulating a storm with a legit tropopause induced sting jet and a convectively enhanced warm front...almost a dual sting jet feature.

Never seen anything like this event, with this storm taking on some of the best attributes of tropical and baroclinic systems. What is undoubtedly most impressive is the heat engine aspects of this storm and the amount of latent energy we are talking here. While the baroclinic side does not come close to the best Nor'easters, the latent energy blows almost if not all away. Some of the dynamical maps from this event are mind-boggling...simulating a storm with a legit tropopause induced sting jet and a convectively enhanced warm front...almost a dual sting jet feature.

Yeah, trop fold is in this and I mentioned this to the Met with the troposphere fold name earlier. It's so inverted though - could almost see that fold on the north wall... wow, wtf!

Yeah, trop fold is in this and I mentioned this to the Met with the troposphere fold name earlier. It's so inverted though - could almost see that fold on the north wall... wow, wtf!

Yeah I noticed the N "sting" jet feature the GFS and a few other models are trying to simulate, given forward speed of storm that would be a major storm feature as it makes landfall. Most Nor'Easters never feature any type of sting jet, especially one that may actually impact the coast, but they are undoubtedly one of the most efficient destructive wind mechanisms in warm seclusion type storms...the west coast is much more used to them.

Yeah I noticed the N "sting" jet feature the GFS and a few other models are trying to simulate, given forward speed of storm that would be a major storm feature as it makes landfall. Most Nor'Easters never feature any type of sting jet, especially one that may actually impact the coast, but they are undoubtedly one of the most efficient destructive wind mechanisms in warm seclusion type storms...the west coast is much more used to them.

I believe European storms (like ones off the United Kingdom) tend to have this type of feature as well.

Although, I'm not as familiar with sting jet features with our major windstorms out here on the West Coast. Wouldn't surprise me, considering some of the crazy wind measurements that have been taken with some of our bigger storms (like the 1962 Columbus Day storm, the Great Gale of 1880, the Hanukkah Eve storm of 2006 and the 2007 Coastal Gale) along the Oregon and Washington Coasts (especially near the mouth of the Columbia River).

The coastal flooding along the coast of my old stomping grounds in Fairfield County, CT could be absolutely catastrophic if the GFS were to verify. It would very likely surpass that of Irene and the December 1992 nor'easter, and perhaps substantially so.

High tide is around midnight Tuesday in that area, which is just after the time of LF. Given that the storm will be west of SW CT and NYC at this point, the winds will be E to SE, which will pile the water up big time into western LI Sound. Big, big problems likely for the coastal communities from New Haven to NYC. Evacuations for the low lying areas south of I-95 may be warranted.

My biggest fear with this event is not wind or rain (although these issues will be significant and shouldn't be understated by any means), it's storm surge. Given the currently modeled track, the areas I outlined above may bear the brunt of it.

Yeah, it has me kinda spooked actually... Folks this is uncharted waters so to speak. This ...truly odd arrangement, could bring the sting to places that wound't encounter them relative to systems at this latitude/longitude.

Another thought, this has also a huge marker for an isallobaric wind pulse shortly after land fall as that huge depression fills - there are two chances for damaging pulse events not related to standard PGF affects.

I believe European storms (like ones off the United Kingdom) tend to have this type of feature as well.

Although, I'm not as familiar with sting jet features with our major windstorms out here on the West Coast. Wouldn't surprise me, considering some of the crazy wind measurements that have been taken along the Oregon and Washington Coasts (especially near the mouth of the Columbia River).

Some of the best NW Pacific coast windstorms featured prominent warm seclusion storms and sting jet features. And yeah, Europe probably has the best in the world in terms of sting jets. They name their windstorms. AWESOME list of NW Pacific windstorms.

http://www.climate.w....edu/stormking/

Some of the best NW Pacific coast windstorms featured prominent warm seclusion storms and sting jet features. And yeah, Europe probably has the best in the world in terms of sting jets. They name their windstorms. AWESOME list of NW Pacific windstorms.

http://www.climate.w....edu/stormking/

Yeah I've gone through a few of those, the 2006 and 2007 storms were crazy here.

Archived