Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Sandy/EC Discussion Part IV

andyhb

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks God! please do - don't let uncertainty get in the way. In some unique situations I think the Met community needs to risk taking it on the chin. If it doesn't pan out so dire, fine!

The problem is getting the public to realize that taking precautionary measures will save them either way; whereas, taking no measures is always correlated to casualties.

Unfortunately the sting from "Irene" being a fizzle on the coast WILL come in to play here.

Yeah I noticed the N "sting" jet feature the GFS and a few other models are trying to simulate, given forward speed of storm that would be a major storm feature as it makes landfall. Most Nor'Easters never feature any type of sting jet, especially one that may actually impact the coast, but they are undoubtedly one of the most efficient destructive wind mechanisms in warm seclusion type storms...the west coast is much more used to them.

I knew somone would mention it. Common term in The UK where they can cause a lot of damage. The GFLD and HWRF actually show it if you look carefully. There is a sudden temporary increase in winds for a couple frames with little prssure fall. It stays offshore though.

Wx4cast: What are you thinking impact wise for the capital district?

This is what we came up with earlier this evening..based on the new data I might start to streess wind issues for us but I think it is still pretty valid.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/37476-sandy-impacts-for-eny-and-wne/page__view__findpost__p__1818652

Just looking at the models and stuff too..I wouldn't want to be on Peconic Bay either.

can anyone share some bookmarks for surge forecasts? i have lost my links. TY in advance.

I found this earlier : http://www.opc.ncep....RTH_96_HR.shtml

the loops hit me personally because though the wind is impressive, the surge has been my own primary threat issue in this ... That 5' surge has to be doubled or even tripled at micro-scaled topographical augments.

I found this earlier : http://www.opc.ncep....RTH_96_HR.shtml

the loops hit me personally because though the wind is impressive, the surge has been my own primary threat issue in this ... That 5' surge has to be doubled or even tripled at micro-scaled topographical augments.

I recall reading two reports about the surge associated with Katrina was "off" (too low). One paper dealt with wave action in shallow waters and refraction.

The other one dealt with how surge models us delta-p and radius of maximum winds, central pressures, angle of LF, etc. BUT NONE use overall STORM size which should be factored in primarily due to fetch considerations. Some good reads. I will dig up the papers for you after hell escapes us by next week

I recall reading two reports about the surge associated with Katrina was "off" (too low). One paper dealt with wave action in shallow waters and refraction.

The other one dealt with how surge models us delta-p and radius of maximum winds, central pressures, angle of LF, etc. BUT NONE use overall STORM size which should be factored in primarily due to fetch considerations. Some good reads. I will dig up the papers for you after hell escapes us by next week

Definitely... storm surge fascinates me for coastal storms!

Unfortunately the sting from "Irene" being a fizzle on the coast WILL come in to play here.

Here in CT we're not nearly as complacent after October snowstorm and devastating Irene surge and inland flooding. I feel like for the 3rd major disaster in 14 months we're used to this!

The extratropical surge guidance (I believe based on GFS) has a 7.6 ft surge in Bridgeport. Would be 2 feet higher than Irene.

In New London a 5.5ft surge which would be the 3rd highest in 100 years. Peak tide of 8.23ft eclipsed only by Carol (9.6) and 1938 (10.6)

I sent this for the other Ryan's way: http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c1

just fyi -

Here in CT we're not nearly as complacent after October snowstorm and devastating Irene surge and inland flooding. I feel like for the 3rd major disaster in 14 months we're used to this!

I'm sure you are, Ryan.

Neither are we up here after Irene..if anything we have to keep people off the ledge because some have been comparing this storm to Irene which for us it won't be.

BTW The XTSS guidance is based off of the NGM and its run on a Tandy! :D:P

Meanwhile a ridiculously mild weekend up here in the Whites. Some of the guys hiked the 4k foot ascent to the top of MWN today and they said it was 61 on the summit. I didn't verify it.

I'm sure you are, Ryan.

Neither are we up here after Irene..if anything we have to keep people off the ledge because some have been comparing this storm to Irene which for us it won't be.

Archived