amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope somehow NYC dodges a bullet... But if not, my goodness how the lessons of Katrina and other natural disasters have been forgotten for the sake of money. EVEN IF YOU GUYS DO DODGE IT, THIS IS STILL A DISGRACE.

IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE PROACTIVE THAN REACTIVE

BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY....

Is there anyone here who is a trained meteorologist who could contact the local media, 7, 5, 4 and 2 and tell them what kind of horrible mistake Bloomberg is making?! Why aren't Lee Goldberg or Bill Evans or the guys from Channel 2 speaking out against this?!

You can. Send them a message explaining your point on how ridiculous this is, and why you think it should be different.

From Craig Allen's Facebook:

Bloomberg: "...this is not expected to be a tropical storm or hurricane so no storm surge is expected like that. It will not be like Irene" You know the reason he said that? It can actually be traced back to the NHC themselves.

Total FAIL because NHC is handing off or punting because of semantics. They are giving it into the control of local NWS offices. When I first heard this this morning, I kn...

ew it was a dangerously STUPID thing to do. I am absolutely NOT criticizing the local NWS. They will do a brilliant job as best they can but by NHC disavowing any further 'knowledge' of tropical status and warnings when Sandy is no longer trueblue tropical-becomes a hybrid/noreaster- sends THE WRONG MESSAGE!

Then Kevin Burke of Con Ed just completely contradicted the mayor. He said "...we know the storm surge could hit with the potential of being worse than Irene"

clap.gif

He was quoting the lunacy of Bloomberg's statement. Read.

Youre right.. Phew.. I always liked Craig Allen. So what genius is advising Bloomberg that, now that once its no longer categorized as tropical, its got no surge?! Brilliant.. Like so many others have said, by avoiding potential confusion of changing to non tropical warnings once it goes total cold core, the NHC has introduced a whole slew of worse problems!

From Craig Allen's Facebook:

Bloomberg: "...this is not expected to be a tropical storm or hurricane so no storm surge is expected like that. It will not be like Irene" You know the reason he said that? It can actually be traced back to the NHC themselves.

Total FAIL because NHC is handing off or punting because of semantics. They are giving it into the control of local NWS offices. When I first heard this this morning, I kn...

ew it was a dangerously STUPID thing to do. I am absolutely NOT criticizing the local NWS. They will do a brilliant job as best they can but by NHC disavowing any further 'knowledge' of tropical status and warnings when Sandy is no longer trueblue tropical-becomes a hybrid/noreaster- sends THE WRONG MESSAGE!

Then Kevin Burke of Con Ed just completely contradicted the mayor. He said "...we know the storm surge could hit with the potential of being worse than Irene"

clap.gif

Agree 100% now the weather channel is say they're "baffled and shocked" at what the mayor said. Bloomberg is acting like a typical billionaire hedging for a better outcome.

Looking at some of the regional zones, winds are forecast to gust in the 50-65mph range even well north and west like State College and Albany. This is very different than a tightly wound storm/hurricane where 50 miles west of the center can see very little wind. I'd imagine we could be looking at one of the most widespread wind related power outages in quite some time.

I am trying to determine if my house will be in the surge zone. According to many existing online surge maps, i am right on the border of Category 3-4 storm surge and no surge. But recently, i know a lot of statements have been made that we cannot link storm category to storm surges any longer. I am hearing predictions of 4-8 ft and some 5 to 10 feet. My house (according to google earth) sits 15 feet ASL (assuming it is accurate). Anyone have any idea about what to expect for the storm surge for the south shore of long island?

Last year, i was literally 100 feet north of the evacuation zone.

From Meteorologist Jeff Berardelli: To my friends in the NYC/NJ/LI area. I've had a lot of calls today so let me just address this here... Most of you know I have been immersed in the weather since I was 3 years old. I've seen just about everything in weather but I can tell you that I have never seen a storm quite like this one before. It is NOT the strongest storm I have ever seen. Hurricanes can...be much stronger.

But here's what makes this different... I have never seen a "Nor'easter" this strong before. I have never seen a storm "back up" into the coast after being over the ocean, building seas, for many many days. I have never seen a storm that is so strong over such a giant "widespread" area. Typically the impacts are more localized... Not this one.

Every storm has completely different outcomes. And since we have never seen anything quite like this before the impacts are difficult to predict. But here's what seems most likely... 1. Plan on being without power for at least a few days most areas. 2. If you live close to the ocean or bay expect coastal flooding worse then any other storm you have seen in that area. If you live near rivers that typically flood you can pretty much count on flooding again.

4. Expect it to be several days before "business as usual" is again possible. There will be many trees down and roads that will need clearing.

Please pass this along if you feel it helpful.

From Meteorologist Jeff Berardelli: To my friends in the NYC/NJ/LI area. I've had a lot of calls today so let me just address this here... Most of you know I have been immersed in the weather since I was 3 years old. I've seen just about everything in weather but I can tell you that I have never seen a storm quite like this one before. It is NOT the strongest storm I have ever seen. Hurricanes can...be much stronger.

But here's what makes this different... I have never seen a "Nor'easter" this strong before. I have never seen a storm "back up" into the coast after being over the ocean, building seas, for many many days. I have never seen a storm that is so strong over such a giant "widespread" area. Typically the impacts are more localized... Not this one.

Every storm has completely different outcomes. And since we have never seen anything quite like this before the impacts are difficult to predict. But here's what seems most likely... 1. Plan on being without power for at least a few days most areas. 2. If you live close to the ocean or bay expect coastal flooding worse then any other storm you have seen in that area. If you live near rivers that typically flood you can pretty much count on flooding again.

4. Expect it to be several days before "business as usual" is again possible. There will be many trees down and roads that will need clearing.

Please pass this along if you feel it helpful.

Where did you get this? Can you provide a link?

I just checked all the buoy observations near Sandy. The strongest winds are displaced in a secondary maximum about 200 miles from the center. In the area in between the winds a lighter. There is no buoy near that central area of convection but I assume there is a primary wind maximum under there. Based on this we could see our winds ramp up then down then up again.

I just checked all the buoy observations near Sandy. The strongest winds are displaced in a secondary maximum about 200 miles from the center. In the area in between the winds a lighter. There is no buoy near that central area of convection but I assume there is a primary wind maximum under there. Based on this we could see our winds ramp up then down then up again.

There's likely to be a LLJ well north of the center that gives a high wind burst, likely somewhere over SNE, and then the wind burst immediately near the center. The pressure gradient between this beast and the blocking high is what will provide the huge winds for just about everyone.

Careful with that assumption. The structure of the wind field is likely to change a few times before it makes landfall.

Careful with that assumption. The structure of the wind field is likely to change a few times before it makes landfall.

Agreed but we have seen this in the past specifically during the march 2007 noreaster where our strongest winds occurred well away from the center then dropped off when we got closer to the center.

Archived