joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ECMWF 925 mb winds are up to 85-90 kt 00Z Tuesday across eastern Long Island. That's only 1200 ft agl and atop a well mixed layer. IMO gusts over hurricane force quite possible along the coast especially for NJ and Long Island late Monday afternoon and Monday evening.

That's 69-73 mph sustained at the surface if you deviate down 30% which is a generously high deviation percentage imho. It could be a lower differential than that quite possibly (i.e. maybe as low as 20%).

From forky:

the euro ens mean, the euro op, the gfs ens mean, the gfs op, and the sref mean are all on top of each other

I'm more interested in how far east the storm makes it right now. If it makes it east of 70W, the odds of a Long Island landfall increase. Hard for me to see such a huge storm just make a turn on a dime.

I read a chart that correlates wind speeds to damage for one- to two-story houses. At 81 MPH, homes may sustain severe damage to roofing, chimney and awning collapses and broken windows. At 103 MPH, some homes may shift off their foundation. This is all 3-second gusts, by the way.

Concerns in the city should be limited to flooding from surge. One of the benefits of urban living is most of the housing in NYC was built prior to World War II, and even stuff that has gone up since is generally strong & design is code-enforced, especially for skyscrapers. I would be very surprised if there was significant damage to buildings in NYC, but downed trees are definitely a concern.

I'm not seeing any estimates on winds yet for NYC, just vague mentions of 'strong winds'. Can a met chime in? It won't be as bad as LI but I'd figure sustained up to 50-60... but apparently gusts could be much higher?

Alot depends how well the winds mix down. I would not go higher than 35-50, gusts 60 at this point....there will undoubtedly be someone higher, especially on the immediate shore without frictional effects. But this not being a true tropical system it can sometimes be hard to mix winds down, especially once you're just inland.

I think we'll have unofficial gusts in the 85-90mph range along the immediate NJ shore and LI coast. However, I'd say most coastal ASOS stations will peak in the 70s for gusts, inland NJ in the 55-65 range. The duration of these gusts is one of the biggest concerns, coupled with saturated ground from rains. 60-70mph gusts for 24-36hrs will likely be very damaging.

Verbatim on the 12z Euro and GFS, what is the maximum potential for the storm surge in Brooklyn and Queens assuming the landfall happens at high tide? How far inland would the surge penetrate inland when also accounting for full moon, immense size of storm, slow apprach of storm, worst angle of attack and waves? I am about 1.5 mile inland at Sheepshead Bay. Just for reference, the surge in Irene was 3 feet and the water reached 1 mile inland into Brooklyn. Any input would be appreciated.

Wow..

...HIGH WIND WATCH IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY

AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY

AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND

SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARDS...DAMAGING WINDS OF LONG DURATION.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST INCREASING TO 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 50 TO 60

MPH MONDAY MORNING...BECOMING EAST 40 TO 55 MPH WITH GUSTS 70 TO

80 MPH MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...THEN BECOMING SOUTHEAST

35 TO 45 MPH WITH GUSTS 50 TO 60 MPH LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO

TUESDAY.

* TIMING...MONDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON. STRONGEST

WINDS ARE EXPECTED MONDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...A SIGNIFICANT THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY EXISTS.

PREPARE FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF MODERATE WIND DAMAGE. WINDS WILL

BE CAPABLE OF DOWNING TREES AND SNAPPING OFF LARGE TREE

BRANCHES. POWER OUTAGES COULD LAST AT LEAST SEVERAL DAYS. DEBRIS

WILL BLOCK SOME ROADS. MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO BUILDINGS AND

HOMES IS POSSIBLE. WINDOWS IN HIGH RISE BUILDINGS COULD BE

BROKEN BY FLYING DEBRIS.

In my experience 65-70MPH is the threshold for damage so anything short is basically run of the mill. Meh.

Sustained or gusts?

I do not buy that the sustained wind will never approach at some point 65-75 mph or even higher in the Metro area and most certainly up and down the NJ and NE NJ coast. I think it is being underestimated but what do I know as it's just my humble opinion on what some of these models are depicting.

Archived