joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There could be some serious damage to the high rises if those 925mb winds mix down even a little.

The new WTC has two or three cranes now on top of the building in preparation for the installation of the antenna. I would presume everything will be fine bc those things are beasts, but they're going to have to deal with some crazy winds as the top of the building is almost 1,400' up and the cranes reach up to 1,600-1,700'. The top of the ESB will probably see 100 MPH sustained as well.

The new WTC has two or three cranes now on top of the building in preparation for the installation of the antenna. I would presume everything will be fine bc those things are beasts, but they're going to have to deal with some crazy winds as the top of the building is almost 1,400' up and the cranes reach up to 1,600-1,700'. The top of the ESB will probably see 100 MPH sustained as well.

Yea, my office is on the 50th floor and we routinely get some pretty serious, building-shaking gusts on a normal winter day. Luckily they just installed new windows...

i bet that the result isn't very far off from what the GFS depicts....maybe slightly further south in SNJ....but those pressures might not be too far off being that she is already at 958!

Its interesting that the models seem to be initializing with a weaker Sandy then is actually see on the current observations. This being said I believe the models have done a decent job on such a rare and complex setup.

storm surge will be immense along LI sound, lower NYC, staten island, and areas along the CNJ coast like the amboys and sandy hook. winds near the center is obv a huge concern. rainfall, doesnt look too bad from newark, nj and points to the N and NE but major flooding potential from points to the S and SW....esp as you head towards the delmarva.

im concerned for areas along the south shore, along the belt pkwy heading to the verrazano br, staten island, and amboys. that area closest to the NE quadrant of the eye will bear the brunt of storm surge and winds.

Its interesting that the models seem to be initializing with a weaker Sandy then is actually see on the current observations. This being said I believe the models have done a decent job on such a rare and complex setup.

So much of the meteorological community has never really seen something like this before, so we are really in unchartered territory. That being said, I have a hard time imagining a situation where sandy does not drop at least 10-15mb when she phases with s/w coming in from the central US. If thats the case were talking about mid 940's. Unprecedented for sure.

GFS simply apocalyptic, notice advection of current core thickness signature (582 dm) into NJ coast. Notice also the westward advection of very high thickness values into n NJ and even e half PA, implies mega-heavy rainfalls, 6 inch per hour rainfall rates could verify in this onslaught. Agree with previous posters on wind speed potentials, if this verifies, and storm surge would have to be at a historic high. This will come on very fast later Monday in this scenario. This would play out like spread-out cat-3 landfall and location is worst case scenario. If GEM supports watch for it to signal explosive transition more explicitly. Rotation around this kind of setup would have to be violent given the height falls underway.

Thousand year return storm is my assessment of that model run.

those that are wondering why the rainfall is modeled to be heaviest on the W and SW side of sandy, take a look on the WV loops. you can see how the eastern trough has began phasing with sandy causing dry air to wrap into the S and E side. this is a complex system, not your typical tropical cyclone. eventually when sandy gets captured the E and NE quadrant will dry out to a certain excent. there will be rain but very scattered and isolated. i wouldnt doubt the possibility of isolated tornadoes here while areas on the W and SW quadrant will experience heavy persistent rains.

Archived