joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm honestly schocked at the limited amount of watches out there (and the nature of them). I know these guys are the best out there, but after Irene, I feel the public is way more likely to 'poo poo' this when, in reality, it's likely to be a much bigger issue... Is it b/c of the time frame and guidelines of the NWS?

There's still time for them to change their tune as the storm closes in. It seems like they are basing this off some model guidance showing winds not being as bad away from the coast:

LAND WIND...BASED ON LATEST GUIDANCE INCLUDING THE 00Z/27 NAM AND

GFS TRANSFER INDICATORS AS WELL AS THE LATEST TCM WINDS...WE

ISSUED A HIGH WIND WATCH FOR THE PERIOD SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH

MONDAY EVENING. APPEARS THE STRONGEST WIND WILL BE COASTAL AND

MONDAY.

TOOK A CONSERVATIVE APPROACH W IF I95 SINCE THERE IS SOME

GUIDANCE SUGGESTING NOT TOO MUCH TRANSFER. HOWEVER...THE LEHIGH

VALLEY AND POCS/NW NJ RIDGES MAY END UP IN ANY FUTURE WATCH

EXPANSION AND OR EVENTUAL WARNING/ADVISORY.

Not saying this will be the case but I've seen many tropical systems completely underperform wind wise.

I have to agree with you guys. The wording by Mt. Holly on the high wind warning is borderline irresponsible IMO. Given that you are at the least supposed to have a 50 KT extratropical cyclone slamming into central Jersey, to put in you wording all the way down to the coast 35-45 MPH sustained winds is horrendous. Makes it sound like a fairly run of the mill storm when that is not the case in any way.

Let me underscore the importance of using the basics to determine the likely effects. Even a sub 975mb low with an extremely strong HP to the north will bring very strong winds. We have had in the past much weaker lows well to our south result in strong winds. Just think they are being to dismissive which is odd considering they hyped Irene a decaying storm with not nearly the mechanics this storm has in place.

Sandy down to 957 on the latest pass.

Most everyone on the other regional threads are saying Sandy is bombing tropically... which means that when this thing REALLY gets going subtropically and REALLY bombs out..... I have to wonder if the models this week that had the pressure down in the 920s and 930s were correct and we really do get a storm with that kind of pressure up here. I mean, it's only another 18 mb til we get to 939 and this thing just dropped 10 in the past few hours.

This is downright scary...

Can you imagine the impacts on NYC's east side as wind pours westward thru Long Island Sound? Water is going to pile up in the western part of the Sound. LGA airport, Randalls Island, City Island, Eastern Bronx may be under water. The East River and Manhattans east side may be very bad.

Can you imagine the impacts on NYC's east side as wind pours westward thru Long Island Sound? Water is going to pile up in the western part of the Sound. LGA airport, Randalls Island, City Island, Eastern Bronx may be under water. The East River and Manhattans east side may be very bad.

MEh, might be a bit overdone...east side of manhattan above the 20sish i believe has decent elevation and shouldnt flood too bad...Upton is called for at most a 3 foot surge...

I live on the East Side... right near York.

in a write up by mt holly the other day they mentioned the stronger sandy is the slower the phase will occur. perhaps this means a further north track

URNT12 KWBC 271320

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 27/12:52:53Z

B. 28 deg 47 min N

076 deg 27 min W

C. NA

D. 62 kt

E. 195 deg 55 nm

F. 312 deg 68 kt

G. 217 deg 14 nm

H. 962 mb

I. 13 C / 3668 m

J. 13 C / 3652

K. 8 / NA

L. SPIRAL BANDING

M. NA

N. 1234 / NA

O. 1/ 1

P. NOAA2 1418A SANDY OB 29

MAX FL WIND 68 KT SW QUAD 12:49:37Z

MAX FL TEMP 14 C 217 / 12 NM FROM FL CNTR

SONDE SPLASHED WITH WINDS 025/16 KTS

She's fluctuating a bit.

I don't think we're gonna see a 50mile shift at this point. Safe bet to say somewhere from cape may- sandy hook LF.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/10/26/bloomberg-briefs-city-on-hurricane-sandy-plans-no-evacuations-ordered/

Mayor Michael Bloomberg opted not to call for a massive evacuation of low-lying areas of New York City as he did last year before Tropical Storm Irene. But at a briefing Friday afternoon he said city officials would continue to monitor Hurricane Sandy as it barrels up the East Coast.

He's not taking the storm that seriously....

Archived