joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its possible we're misunderstanding that tweet. Dr. Knabb is saying they are avoiding confusing switch later, to explain why they aren't issuing watches/warnings. I guess we'll see but it seems like they are holding their ground.

Bad idea. WTF is wrong with them.axesmiley.png

I think its possible we're misunderstanding that tweet. Dr. Knabb is saying they are avoiding confusing switch later, to explain why they aren't issuing watches/warnings. I guess we'll see but it seems like they are holding their ground.

Yeah I think you're right

That's my interpretation. To go from a hurricane warning "down to" a high wind warning would take [some] people off guard.

Todays run of the surge model has a tide level 1.5 feet above the record at Sandy Hook set during the 1992 Noreaster.

We'll have to watch for any changes over the next 48 hrs to know how high the water levels will actually get.

Could you link to the site where you got the image? I've been looking but can't find it.

I agree with them not issue any watch/or warning due to the fact Sandy will become a cold core post-tropical cyclone but this still should be taken seriously thought with the local officials issue evacuations for low elevated areas. High Wind and Coastal Flood Watch and warnings should cover it.

I think the last move on the chessboard is going to be Euro to GFS-GEM track with 935 mb center. This would take out mega-surge potential for Delaware Bay although some concern would remain, and reduce impact on ACY south (while not by that much). The logic is that this has to come inland slightly north of the vortex and the vortex is the GEM's best asset usually.

The GEM 72-84h intensify the wind field over upstate NY and eastern ON as far west as Toronto to near TS strength, there are echoes of Hazel embedded in this storm scenario.

Would people agree that there could be the equivalent of a continuous TRW+ situation in the frontal zone west of the Jersey hills? I suspect there could be some record rainfall amounts in nw NJ and ne PA, perhaps stupendous hourly rates. Look at the moisture advection and frontal forcing.

Archived