joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate to say it but this is a doomsday scenario for many folks around our area. Euro and gfs are in very good agreement on a central nj landfall. As well as their ensembles. That is a deadly model combo

not according to the rainfall totals in the NYC Metro if this verifies - wind damage and coastal flood damgae yes - inland flooding very questionable

http://www.hpc.ncep....ll_Days_1-5.gif

Hate to say it but this is a doomsday scenario for many folks around our area. Euro and gfs are in very good agreement on a central nj landfall. As well as their ensembles. That is a deadly model combo

Doomsday is taking it a little too far. Doomsday would be a major hurricane hitting the tri-state. This will not be a cat 4/5 hurricane where we would have to worry about structures being destroyed by wind. This will be very bad, no doubt. A lot of trees down and power outtages. A lot of flooding. The damage will be bad. But it won't be something that the tri-state can't recover from. 80mph winds will not destroy the tri-state, believe me.

Doomsday is taking it a little too far. Doomsday would be a major hurricane hitting the tri-state. This will not be a cat 4/5 hurricane where we would have to worry about structures being destroyed by wind. This will be very bad, no doubt. A lot of trees down and power outtages. A lot of flooding. The damage will be bad. But it won't be something that the tri-state can't recover from. 80mph winds will not destroy the tri-state, believe me.

Ugh i knew someone would take that the wrong way lol. I meant that this is worse case scenario from what we are dealing with, a landfall in central jersey. Would bring very bad water rises into NYC/LI

Ugh i knew someone would take that the wrong way lol. I meant that this is worse case scenario from what we are dealing with, a landfall in central jersey. Would bring very bad water rises into NYC/LI

In many ways a Cat 1/2 hurricane with a NW trajectory into NJ is a more dangerous scenario than a nwd propagating, fast motion Cat 3 into Long Island. For one, the surge is directed well east of the city with the latter, but with Sandy, water will be piling up right into New York City, SE from the Raritan Bay and E from the LI Sound. Wind direction with a S-N moving hurricane into LI is primarily NE/N then NW, similar to a winter nor'easter. But we'll be dealing with strong SELY/ELY winds for much of the storm which is more effective at piling water into the coast. So flooding near the immediate shores will be worse, and it's not so much the max wind intensity that's bad, it's the long duration. 24-36 hrs of potential tropical storm force sustained winds, and gusts to around hurricane force. It's not like a severe T-storm that gusts to 60mph for 2 minutes then it's over. Many folks may be gusting to 60 for 2 days rather than 2 minutes.

In many ways a Cat 1/2 hurricane with a NW trajectory into NJ is a more dangerous scenario than a nwd propagating, fast motion Cat 3 into Long Island. For one, the surge is directed well east of the city with the latter, but with Sandy, water will be piling up right into New York City, SE from the Raritan Bay and E from the LI Sound. Wind direction with a S-N moving hurricane into LI is primarily NE/N than NW, similar to a winter nor'easter. But we'll be dealing with strong SELY/ELY winds for much of the storm which is more effective at piling water into the coast. So flooding near the immediate shores will be worse, and it's not so much the max wind intensity that's bad, it's the long duration. 24-36 hrs of potential tropical storm force sustained winds, and gusts to around hurricane force. It's not like a severe T-storm that gusts to 60mph for 2 minutes than it's over. Many folks may be gusting to 60 for 2 days rather than 2 minutes.

GFS would have winds near 100 mph near skyscaper top level, which might break some serious windows, and a gust or two near 100 mph on LI or NYC is possible, which would badly damage homes. (Hrcn Ike with 75-85 mph max winds best track my neighborhood did serious roof damage, some gas station pump shelters toppled, lots of trees down (and that kind of rood damage).

In many ways a Cat 1/2 hurricane with a NW trajectory into NJ is a more dangerous scenario than a nwd propagating, fast motion Cat 3 into Long Island. For one, the surge is directed well east of the city with the latter, but with Sandy, water will be piling up right into New York City, SE from the Raritan Bay and E from the LI Sound. Wind direction with a S-N moving hurricane into LI is primarily NE/N than NW, similar to a winter nor'easter. But we'll be dealing with strong SELY/ELY winds for much of the storm which is more effective at piling water into the coast. So flooding near the immediate shores will be worse, and it's not so much the max wind intensity that's bad, it's the long duration. 24-36 hrs of potential tropical storm force sustained winds, and gusts to around hurricane force. It's not like a severe T-storm that gusts to 60mph for 2 minutes than it's over. Many folks may be gusting to 60 for 2 days rather than 2 minutes.

Very well said... Remember 38 crushed eastern LI but NYC received a glancing blow.

GFS would have winds near 100 mph near skyscaper top level, which might break some serious windows, and a gust or two near 100 mph on LI or NYC is possible, which would badly damage homes. (Hrcn Ike with 75-85 mph max winds best track my neighborhood did serious roof damage, some gas station pump shelters toppled, lots of trees down (and that kind of rood damage).

Can anyone compare this type of setup to the passage of Hurricane Hazel. The system had 2 eyes I think with the main one in PA., the other feeding in moisture from the ocean. Very early on Oct. 15, 1954 it produced a SE gust of 113mph in CPK. The 1938 cane had 100mph atop the Empire State Building.

925mb winds are incredible. Earthlight...what do you think in terms of maximal gusts? If the GFS is right I'm thinking 50-60 sustained (esp along the coast) with gusts close to 100mph possible.

I think 50-60 sustained is an underestimate. My untrained guess based on what I am seeing on these models 75-80 sustained in the immediate NYC area (including 5 boroughs) & up and down the NJ coast is not out of the question. I will not speculate Long Island as their are plenty here who are more equipped to answer that question.

Archived