joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think 50-60 sustained is an underestimate. My untrained guess based on what I am seeing on these models 75-80 sustained in the immediate NYC area (including 5 boroughs) & up and down the NJ coast is not out of the question. I will not speculate Long Island as their are plenty here who are more equipped to answer that question.

I know it's IMBY, but what about furthur up, in near Fishkill?

I think 50-60 sustained is an underestimate. My untrained guess based on what I am seeing on these models 75-80 sustained in the immediate NYC area (including 5 boroughs) & up and down the NJ coast is not out of the question. I will not speculate Long Island as their are plenty here who are more equipped to answer that question.

That is unlikely the map they posted was the 925 Mb winds and there is a reduction of winds going down to the surface fo about 20-30% so it would be about 50-60 mph

That is unlikely the map they posted was the 925 Mb winds and there is a reduction of winds going down to the surface fo about 20-30% so it would be about 50-60 mph

What? That map shows 90-100 kt winds at H925, even with 20-30% reduction, that would be higher than 50-60 mph.

What? That map shows 90-100 kt winds at H925, even with 20-30% reduction, that would be higher than 50-60 mph.

90-100kts would be 105-115mph. 20-30% reduction=75-85mph. Although in terms of sustained I don't think places outside of right along the coast see sustained greater than 70. Gusts could be ridiculous though

isnt that just over 1000 feet above ground because that would be very bad for skyscrapers, alot of windows would be blown out

Actually 850 tends to be near the 5000 foot level. Take a bit off due to the lower pressure near the surface.

90-100kts would be 105-115mph. 20-30% reduction=75-85mph. Although in terms of sustained I don't think places outside of right along the coast see sustained greater than 70. Gusts could be ridiculous though

I don't know that we can really know for certain until it is happening but let's not forget how much more expansive the strongest winds will be than your typical hurricane/tropical storm. I think up and down the NJ coast and even into NE NJ and the 5 boroughs could sustain at that level for a time during this storm.

I read somewhere that 113 mph reading during Hazel was taken atop a building near the Battery in lower Manhattan. Not sure about the 100 mph reading during the 1938 hurricane.

Can anyone compare this type of setup to the passage of Hurricane Hazel. The system had 2 eyes I think with the main one in PA., the other feeding in moisture from the ocean. Very early on Oct. 15, 1954 it produced a SE gust of 113mph in CPK. The 1938 cane had 100mph atop the Empire State Building.

I know those in the right front Quad should get more wind, but without rain to force it down from H925, does this mean those folks near the center or even just south of the center could have screaming N to NW winds ripping down from H925 to surface during the anticipated high rainfall rates for these areas? Can these areas see H925 75mph wimds more so than those in the dryslotted right front quad? I'm trying to figure out which side of the core will be more severe wind wise.

The highest gusts that JFK and Long Beach received during March of 2010 were when it was barely raining, if at all.

There were times that it was crazy windy and raining, but yeah-so long as that insane low level jet was overhead, the winds kept up. The winds stopped very quickly once the jet passed to the east. I think it's a good bet we beat the gusts we had then if the model tracks into NJ verify.

ECMWF 925 mb winds are up to 85-90 kt 00Z Tuesday across eastern Long Island. That's only 1200 ft agl and atop a well mixed layer. IMO gusts over hurricane force quite possible along the coast especially for NJ and Long Island late Monday afternoon and Monday evening.

Archived