amirah5
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LI is still not in the cone. SMH

153841W5_NL_sm.gif

Why should Long Island be in the cone? You know the cone means potential landfall right?

Btw I'm thinking the bridges will have a difficult time staying open. There's no way it will be even close to a normal day on Monday.

LI is still not in the cone. SMH

153841W5_NL_sm.gif

I would not focus on the storm center--severe impacts are likely to be be felt in all quadrants of this storm, especially to the north of where it makes landfall on the NJ coast. IMO the central NJ coast, NYC metro, Long Island, and southern New England will be hammered the worst.

Received a robo call from my town mayor saying to expect power to be out for one full week. Luckily, I have two generators but I'm not 100% confident power loss will be that bad if we're only dealing with Irene like winds. Half the leaves have already fallen and the ground is not nearly as saturated as it was with Irene. For Irene, we had gusts fifty to sixty mph. Of course if we get 70 to 80 mph gusts, then all bets are off for retaining any power.

With the time of the year, the very strong winds have another impact that they wouldn't otherwise have - all of the Halloween decorations in people's front yards all over the place that are already set up. I've been told that NE NJ is still full of Halloween decorations prepared weeks ago that haven't been taken down. It's going to be a messy Halloween for many...

I just finished removing all my out side decorations. I also packed up my lawn furniture and bunkered down my grill. Better to be safe the sorry.

Received a robo call from my town mayor saying to expect power to be out for one full week. Luckily, I have two generators but I'm not 100% confident power loss will be that bad if we're only dealing with Irene like winds. Half the leaves have already fallen and the ground is not nearly as saturated as it was with Irene. For Irene, we had gusts fifty to sixty mph. Of course if we get 70 to 80 mph gusts, then all bets are off for retaining any power.

the only problem here is the long duration of 50 - 60mph winds. if this were to be a 6 - 8hr event, then i would agree. but the fact that this is going to see 12 - 24hrs of strong sustained winds i think we may see a different outcome

That is not a tropical watch.

Yesyerday's strategy, since changed, NHC issuing all coastal/marine warnings, even if Sandy was post-tropical, was less scientific, maybe, but probably better. Once Sandy was inland a few hours I think HPC would have issued advisories and WFOs would have assumed responsibility for coastal/marine warnings.

I think they backed off the correct idea...

Hi all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I live on Staten Island on the East Shore, less than 1000' from a southeast-facing beach, and only 7' above sea level. My street was thankfully dry during Irene, but I don't think I'll be lucky this go around. I do expect some significant damage. Everyone around here uses the 1992 Nor'easter as a benchmark for an ultimate storm, and I remember seeing FEET of water in local delis/churches/etc. Knowing this will be worse just hurts my brain.

Hey folks...I really need some advice. My mom is visiting family in NY from SC (ironic...) and she basically has 3 optons to ride out this storm. A) A house in Babylon on Long Island, B) A house in Hewlett on Long Island C) Midtown East in NYC on the 20-something-th floor of a high rise that is right on the E River. Because of my knowledge of the weather, she wants to do what I tell her to do...but frankly, I'm not thrilled about any of these options. What do you guys think?

Agree with this. But I do still think even inland areas that are just north of the center will see a burst of strong dangerous wind as the storms center comes near the shore/passes south of them.

my biggest gust during irene was 38 mph abnd that was well after the storm passed. i doubt it hit 60 in gusts. im thinking i top out around 50. by the way my wind gauge is in an open area above the roof line

Hey folks...I really need some advice. My mom is visiting family in NY from SC (ironic...) and she basically has 3 optons to ride out this storm. A) A house in Babylon on Long Island, cool.png A house in Hewlett on Long Island C) Midtown East in NYC on the 20-something-th floor of a high rise that is right on the E River. Because of my knowledge of the weather, she wants to do what I tell her to do...but frankly, I'm not thrilled about any of these options. What do you guys think?

city for sure

Hey folks...I really need some advice. My mom is visiting family in NY from SC (ironic...) and she basically has 3 optons to ride out this storm. A) A house in Babylon on Long Island, cool.png A house in Hewlett on Long Island C) Midtown East in NYC on the 20-something-th floor of a high rise that is right on the E River. Because of my knowledge of the weather, she wants to do what I tell her to do...but frankly, I'm not thrilled about any of these options. What do you guys think?

babylon is the worst option, the other 2 are probably just fine assuming she won't be sticking her face out the window.

city for sure

babylon is the worst option, the other 2 are probably just fine assuming she won't be sticking her face out the window.

thanks guys...i'm probably thinking the city as well, not babylon for obvious reasons (low elevation, proximity to water) and not loving hewlett either (lots of trees near this particular house...but it is sturdy...). Chances that water enters the lobby of the City building and/or windows being blown out from wind gusts are what's not making me thrilled about NYC option, tho. However, in the end, that's probably the best I guess. Thanks!

thanks guys...i'm probably thinking the city as well, not babylon for obvious reasons (low elevation, proximity to water) and not loving hewlett either (lots of trees near this particular house...but it is sturdy...). Chances that water enters the lobby of the City building and/or windows being blown out from wind gusts are what's not making me thrilled about NYC option, tho. However, in the end, that's probably the best I guess. Thanks!

20 stories up she should be good. By the time you are in midtown east (north of 42nd St) you are a good 40-60 feet asl even right along the river (unless you are on FDR), so flooding should be minimal.

Archived