EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z GFS bufkit for JFK suggested sustained winds of 50kts at peak (and almost 24 hours of TS force winds). It also has 75-95kt winds just off the deck (1kft to 4kft). Some ridiculous gust potential there with precipitation.

That's what is most alarming to me...the sustained long duration TS force winds and the potential for very strong gusts. Over such a long period of time ... it's going to become a big problem.

We do have high PWATs though so any rain could be lower topped convective in nature. i think its a bit underdone on the north side in the nam

As the storm is captured and tilted back to the west the best forcing for heavy precipitation and moisture advection is to the southeast of the surface low. There's also a 500mb dry slot over Long Island at 3z Tuesday which is not helping with the very low precip totals there. You can see that in one of the small images (h5 RH) here:

f51.gif

Would winds be a stronger for places a little higher in elevation along the North Shore of Queens and Nassau County?

I live around the corner from the Douglaston Manor which I believe is almost 200' feet above sea level.

I also wonder if the North Shore Towers which are a few blocks in the other direction will have some windows pop? A good part of me would love to go out on the roof over there Monday evening (with a safety harness attached of course) smile.png

that is a remarkable forecast animation. spooky how good it looks by the end of the run. almost making the hurricane symbol.

notice that the structure of the hurricane improves dramatically as it approaches NJ on the NAM, becoming much more symmetrical.

Most models are adamant that this is going to be a bona fide, strengthening hurricane tomorrow. The models clearly retain a warm-core structure and actually show increasing symmetry during the strengthening phase. But it seems the prevailing thought here and among the NHC is that this will be converting into some sort of extratropical "Franken"storm over the next 24 to 36 hours. What if this line of thinking proves wrong and the models are correct in this strengthening into a hurricane tomorrow? For the record, Dr. Maue, of WeatherBell and a respected tropical meteorology expert, has tweeted that he expects a 100+ knot hurricane tomorrow. This is passing over 27C+ waters of the Gulf Stream. Nor would this be the first time the NHC was proven incorrect. Recall Epsilon and Zeta from 2005... the NHC was adamant that those storms couldn't strengthen that far north that late in the season due to cold waters and high shear. Against all odds, they did. I just wonder given the possibility this could strengthen into a Category 2 or stronger hurricane tomorrow if the lack of hurricane watches isn't doing a disservice to the public.

Can someone get me a bufkit for KPOU?

Surface winds stay near TS force for quite a while. It peaks between 11pm Monday and 6am Tuesday. Winds aloft screaming at 80-100kt between 1 and 4kft, with a layer from 3kft to 7kft at about 100kt.

The boundary layer destabilizes after midnight Tuesday due to warmer boundary layer air wrapping in on the north side of the circulation and it also shows an environment conducive to warm rain processes (showery). Both of those factors could conspire to transfer some of those ridiculous winds to the surface in gusts.

Most models are adamant that this is going to be a bona fide, strengthening hurricane tomorrow. The models clearly retain a warm-core structure and actually show increasing symmetry during the strengthening phase. But it seems the prevailing thought here and among the NHC is that this will be converting into some sort of extratropical "Franken"storm over the next 24 to 36 hours. What if this line of thinking proves wrong and the models are correct in this strengthening into a hurricane tomorrow? For the record, Dr. Maue, of WeatherBell and a respected tropical meteorology expert, has tweeted that he expects a 100+ knot hurricane tomorrow. This is passing over 27C+ waters of the Gulf Stream. Nor would this be the first time the NHC was proven incorrect. Recall Epsilon and Zeta from 2005... the NHC was adamant that those storms couldn't strengthen that far north that late in the season due to cold waters and high shear. Against all odds, they did. I just wonder given the possibility this could strengthen into a Category 2 or stronger hurricane tomorrow if the lack of hurricane watches isn't doing a disservice to the public.

they also said irene would get to strong cat 2/cat 3 before hitting NC..I'm not putting that much stock into it

they also said irene would get to strong cat 2/cat 3 before hitting NC..I'm not putting that much stock into it

Agreed the Irene thing has been a red flag to me from the start. I think we see a low end cat one (wind wise not structure) and a pressure in the 950's/60's at landfall. Amazing in its own right because we are in record territory but 930's world record for a not truly tropical entity super unlikely!!cry.gif

my guess.....

74 mph sustained winds are not expected.

I am still not convinced that this is no longer a possibility in some spots. Anyone who comes out at this stage and says it is not possible to still maybe see something like this is setting themselves up to look very foolish.

Archived