Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has 90kt winds at 1500ft for everybody over Union/Essex/Bergen counties on eastward with 100+kt max observed wind over Long Island.

Again, to me this proves I am rightfully stressing the need for people to not rule out sustained hurricane force winds at times in certain areas. To do so would be a horribly foolish mistake.

GFS has 90kt winds at 1500ft for everybody over Union/Essex/Bergen counties on eastward with 100+kt max observed wind over Long Island.

70mph gusts not out of the question for us NJ guys just inland from the coast for a long period. That would do big time damage

70mph gusts not out of the question for us NJ guys just inland from the coast for a long period. That would do big time damage

I would figure gusts in the city will reach around 80 MPH. That's obviously not counting areas subject to wind tunneling, which could enhance gusts up to 100 MPH.

On that note, there are several spots in the city that I've noticed are especially prone to the wind-tunnel effect. One of the most notable is in between Time Warner and the neighboring residential building on 60th Street. Right next to the parking entrance, whenever it's windy the wind's strength is ALWAYS doubled right in this span of 20-30 feet of sidewalk. When it's gusting to 30-40 the winds there must easily be 60-70, and almost knock you off your feet.

I'd presume that anything above 500' could see gusts up to 100MPH, which could blow out windows if there's enough debris. Not something I'd anticipate, though.

I would figure gusts in the city will reach around 80 MPH. That's obviously not counting areas subject to wind tunneling, which could enhance gusts up to 100 MPH.

On that note, there are several spots in the city that I've noticed are especially prone to the wind-tunnel effect. One of the most notable is in between Time Warner and the neighboring residential building on 60th Street. Right next to the parking entrance, whenever it's windy the wind's strength is ALWAYS doubled right in this span of 20-30 feet of sidewalk. When it's gusting to 30-40 the winds there must easily be 60-70, and almost knock you off your feet.

I'd presume that anything above 500' could see gusts up to 100MPH, which could blow out windows if there's enough debris. Not something I'd anticipate, though.

Lol, I worked at 60th and Columbus from April 2009-May 2010 and observed very similar wind behavior as you described.

Interesting...NAM maybe picking up on an inversion to the NW of the center of circulation over Central NJ into Southeast PA? One area in Southern NJ away from the shore doesn't get above 20mph sustained the entire event.

Ray (Famartin) and Tony (Rainshadow) have discussed this in the Philly subforum....who knows if it will verify but if it did would create a very different dynamic of the wind threat down here...from one of a prolonged period of sustained higher winds with occasional gusts to one like Irene...brief periods of higher gusts...so maybe the Del valley will be an island of functioning power and internet...but also maybe the most flash flooding with 8"+ per the NAM...not sure if this signal is on any other modeling but something that has gotten some attention

Interesting...NAM maybe picking up on an inversion to the NW of the center of circulation over Central NJ into Southeast PA? One area in Southern NJ away from the shore doesn't get above 20mph sustained the entire event.

f48.gif

With the lapse rates I figured out from 900hpa-to the surface(HR 48) the eta lapse rate is only -2.48 K/km. This would mean that only about 30% of those winds would transfer down, because of the weak lapse rates.

Archived