EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what exactly is IKE? and comparing katrina and wilma to this must mean this thing is gonna be vicious when it gets to our area

It has a lot to do with the storm's size. The wind speeds won't be comparible to Katrina and Wilma, but since Sandy is among the largest hurricanes ever recorded in the basin, its IKE (Integrated Kinetic Energy) is reaching really high numbers.

IKE = Integrated Kinetic Energy. Storm surge rating scale

WOW! this storm is really powerful i mean granted the surge wont be as severe as katrina/wilma but this shows you the amount of water thats gonna be piling into and over the shorelines from central NJ up to NYC and all across LI

being that scale goes up to 5.99 a 5.0 is absolutely amazing for where this storm is and how strong its getting. in every sense of the word this is truly unchartered territory as was stated several times today.

0z NAM also continues the GFS trend and has Sandy slightly weaker with the trough apparently holding back a little as well, which results in Sandy taking a slightly more east track. Not every model run is a trend and I'm sticking with a central NJ landfall for now, although perhaps this could be some sort of a small scale short range trend for a slightly delayed turn to the NW and a landfall location further north?

0z NAM also continues the GFS trend and has Sandy slightly weaker with the trough apparently holding back a little as well, which results in Sandy taking a slightly more east track. Not every model run is a trend and I'm sticking with a central NJ landfall for now, although perhaps this could be some sort of a small scale short range trend for a slightly delayed turn to the NW and a landfall location further north?

The CoC makes landfall in the exact same location in the exact same county as the 18z run..it just hooks slightly farther east/northeast than the 18z run which makes it look farther north for a time.

Everything is locking in for a worst-case scenario, with the storm making landfall to the immediate south of NYC. I still think it could vary between Atlantic City and NYC itself, but the range has shrunk considerably. Looking forward to gusts over 75 MPH....

Re: damage threshold--

The only three events where I have seen actual wind damage occur (huge trees down etc) are Isabel, and two Derechos in DC (this year and in '07 or '08) and all three had gusts to 70. Never seen anything come close in NYC.

High resolution 4km NAM has 40mph sustained 10m winds for 6+ hours for most of the NYC area...55+mph sustained along the Nj shore and LI Sound with the twin forks over 60mph sustained.

925mb winds are some of the strongest I've ever seen them for a sustained period in this area..over 60 for much of the area with Long Island over 75 under the LLJ.

The precip cutoff on the NAM is incredible. I wonder whats causing such a sharp decline in rain in northern nj/southern ny?

As the storm is captured and tilted back to the west the best forcing for heavy precipitation and moisture advection is to the southeast of the surface low. There's also a 500mb dry slot over Long Island at 3z Tuesday which is not helping with the very low precip totals there. You can see that in one of the small images (h5 RH) here:

f51.gif

Archived