joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

especially at risk are the barrier islands in NJ the biggest and most populated being Long Beach Island where they will be talking about the possibility of the ocean meeting the bay over parts of or the entire island - the damage amount there if that happened would be unbelievable - last time it happend was the 1962 storm BUT the island was not built up like it is now.

And this is the 50th anniversay in 2012 of this storm

http://www.nj.com/ne...members_wh.html

400 PM EDT THU OCT 25 2012

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR ATLANTIC COASTAL

WATERS...SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST

NEW YORK.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

THERE IS INCREASING CONFIDENCE THAT THE TRI-STATE AREA WILL FEEL

THE IMPACTS OF A DANGEROUS COASTAL STORM LATE THIS WEEKEND INTO

EARLY NEXT WEEK. THIS INCLUDES THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAINFALL

AND RESULTANT SIGNIFICANT URBAN...SMALL STREAM...AND RIVER

FLOODING...HIGH WINDS CAUSING WIDESPREAD DOWNING OF TREES AND

POWER LINES...AND SIGNIFICANT SHORELINE IMPACTS FROM COASTAL

FLOODING AND BEACH EROSION. THE SPECIFIC IMPACTS WILL ULTIMATELY

DEPEND ON THE EXACT TRACK AND EVOLUTION OF TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY

AS IT INTERACTS WITH A DEEPENING UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM

APPROACHING THE EAST COAST.

My consensus method would take the track across Asbury Park into northern NJ with 945 mb potential near landfall. That would at least have one good result, impacts between Cape May and Asbury Park might be less catastrophic than the Euro or NHC tracks.

This however would be close to worst-case for northern NJ and metro NYC. For the time being I won't add any numbers to my forecast suggestions simply because they are probably obvious to the pro mets anyway and some others who read this don't get the difference between a forecast and a model discussion.

A feature which is not getting much discussion is that a meso-scale torrential rainfall band is likely to develop north-south on Sunday at about 75-76W remaining supported by the transitional nature of the approaching center. The Delaware valley could see rapid water level rises from runoff on either side in 10-20 inch rainfall bands. My estimate for NYC a lot lower on this track, perhaps in the 3-6 inch range? More like 4-8 lower Hudson valley and w CT. Very thundery event likely too, it has been dry for a few days so ground charge differentials may charge this up pretty intensely.

I keep hoping this will both happen and not do any big damage, a rather forlorn combination.

My consensus method would take the track across Asbury Park into northern NJ with 945 mb potential near landfall. That would at least have one good result, impacts between Cape May and Asbury Park might be less catastrophic than the Euro or NHC tracks.

This however would be close to worst-case for northern NJ and metro NYC. For the time being I won't add any numbers to my forecast suggestions simply because they are probably obvious to the pro mets anyway and some others who read this don't get the difference between a forecast and a model discussion.

A feature which is not getting much discussion is that a meso-scale torrential rainfall band is likely to develop north-south on Sunday at about 75-76W remaining supported by the transitional nature of the approaching center. The Delaware valley could see rapid water level rises from runoff on either side in 10-20 inch rainfall bands. My estimate for NYC a lot lower on this track, perhaps in the 3-6 inch range? More like 4-8 lower Hudson valley and w CT. Very thundery event likely too, it has been dry for a few days so ground charge differentials may charge this up pretty intensely.

I keep hoping this will both happen and not do any big damage, a rather forlorn combination.

current track for landfall being between asbury park/NYC would be terrible for the 5 boroughs, SW CT, and LI. storm surge will easily beat what irene did, and the winds im guessing will be around the sustained range of 50-60mph with gusts over hurrican force. rainfall isnt surprisingly being talked about too much over the wind/surge

Archived