• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

thank you! this is what i was alluding to before with the blending comment. you hit the nail right on the head. the classic center/eyewall landfall point is more relevant for pure tropical systems, not a system like we're about to see with Sandy's transition...

I think it is relevant though, although modeling hugging isn't great. The fact is that a storm that swings around the way the 0z GFS did means much less wind and surge for people further down south jersey where I am on the water. To me, it can mean the difference between possibly losing a home and getting by with less wind that is blowing out to sea. Anyone below the center of circulation on the coast will be better off.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is relevant though, although modeling hugging isn't great. The fact is that a storm that swings around the way the 0z GFS did means much less wind and surge for people further down south jersey where I am on the water. To me, it can mean the difference between possibly losing a home and getting by with less wind that is blowing out to sea. Anyone below the center of circulation on the coast will be better off.

great point

gfdl (euro track) has cat 1 sustained winds at 950mb over all of nj spreading north to long island

http://tc.met.psu.edu/tcgengifs/GFDL/2012102600-sandy18l/slp16.png

http://tc.met.psu.edu/tcgengifs/GFDL/2012102600-sandy18l/slp17.png

It looks like there is an enhanced low level jet or something that's going to run well to the NE of the system. Thus, even with a Euro track, our area would still get significant winds.

Sandy also looks kinda ragged right now and its wind field is expanding and its core doesn't appear to have as strong of winds. Hopefully the phasing fixes that, or perhaps we're in another scenario where some synoptic enhancement well removed from the core of the storm is where the strongest winds will be. Though of course the GFDL does keep its core of winds pretty strong.

The latest VDM does show that its warm core is still very much in tact, though.

It looks like there is an enhanced low level jet or something that's going to run well to the NE of the system. Thus, even with a Euro track, our area would still get significant winds.

Sandy also looks kinda ragged right now and its wind field is expanding and its core doesn't appear to have as strong of winds. Hopefully the phasing fixes that, or perhaps we're in another scenario where some synoptic enhancement well removed from the core of the storm is where the strongest winds will be. Though of course the GFDL does keep its core of winds pretty strong.

I'm assuming this track also is problematic for surge as well with the southerly winds?

Difficult in this scenario to avoid placing all faith in Euro and abandoning the wayward problem children, but the 40-20-20-20 concept now gives New York City landfall about as discussed six hours ago. If we assume that GEM has lost the plot and go with a more realistic Long Island landfall for that model, the consensus shifts back to the Asbury Park landfall of previous discussion.

Intensity estimates are now also beginning to waver or diverge. That trend would cause me to give 948 mbs as new consensus for pre-landfall low point.

Given the sort of divergence now visible in model output, I would submit that rapid acceleration has to be considered as a slight risk in the 5% category. Have not seen any model illustrating this but you would have to think that in this volatile setup, any possible outcome must be held in the deck until we see the sort of model consensus that was almost available at 12z.

Clearly there will be a high impact end result and I would currently suggest the chances are something like this -- 10% NC, 25% southern VA, 50% e MD-DE, 70% NJ, NYC, w LI, 50% e LI CT, 30% RI se MA, 10% ME-NS.

But you can't 70% evacuate or 90% stay put, so this is more of a background aid to decision making than a plan.

Archived