gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish people would understand that the worst case scenario around here IS a south jersey landfall. This is not a tightly wound pure topical system. Strongest winds will be displaced 100 miles or more NE of the center in the area of largest pressure gradient (bumping into the blocking high) The current NHC track is just a little south of that worst case but close enough that it shouldn't matter much. Unless this goes way south (Virginia or further) we are still in line for the worst!

I wish people would understand that the worst case scenario around here IS a south jersey landfall. This is not a tightly wound pure topical system. Strongest winds will be displaced 100 miles or more NE of the center in the area of largest pressure gradient (bumping into the blocking high) The current NHC track is just a little south of that worst case but close enough that it shouldn't matter much. Unless this goes way south (Virginia or further) we are still in line for the worst!

I would argue anything south of Delaware would start to mitigate the effects for our area, at least in terms of wind.

I will respectfully disagree , A worst case scenerio for NYC is not a landfall in Cape May or Atlantic city in southern New Jersey ( where i think it hits ) but Central New Jersey lONG BEACH , Atlantic highlands ( as they are 100 miles apart ) then turning NW

the reason being is storm surge is greater closer to the center , the storm is a spready windy storm i agree , but a worst case is central NJ not Southern tip of NJ .

But it may be too early to exact landfall , because its all goint to come down to the timing

of the trough catching sandy and turning her NW .

NYC recorded a 113mph gust from Hurricane Hazel in 1954...That storm made landfall well south of the area...Sandy's track could come close to NYC...It remains to be seen...It could move north to just south of Long Island and stall...Then it makes a left turn right over NYC... one thing for sure is most of the leaves if not the whole tree will fall...get the rakes ready...

actually remember this is a slow moving system - u get SE winds for a while that turn to the NE

as it stalls , this run is out to 84 hours , then its retrogrades ( if u believe this 1 run ) its bad for NYC " if true " beacuse you will pile LI SOUND WATER back down the east river and as it back NW - you take a storm surge up the east river

into the battery . i was comparing to the other model run this AM that takes into the Delmarva

so should have read this is a worst case scenerio in comparison to the other runs this AM .

I THINK LANDFALL is in south jersey .

A low curving in from the SE would keep us in northerly or NE winds. The winds from the NAM are almost entirely offshore for South Shore or NJ locations. The Sound shores would still be battered very much. And even northerly winds wouldn't remove the surge threat for the south shore, but it would be a lot better than a wind that veers to E or SE.

Strongly agree....I am not an emergency management expert but I don't think we are in the window yet for when those kinds of calls need to be made....also the quote that was made was literally yesterdays news...and the MTA boss was probably interviewed earlier than that....I'm sure if as we get closer to the onset of the event significant surge is being predicted that might change.

I have a few friends in emergency management who use my websites product and contact me for info...and I can tell you that the first call I got was this morning and it was just to get a briefing on the situation. It's still way too early to pinpoint Mac hazard areas and way way too early for evacs or other procedures. Now is still the time to get early preparedness steps completed..stock up on essentials, clean your gutters, etc

FWIW, 10/26 AO was -2.501. That's somewhat higher than had been shown on yesterday's run of the GFS ensembles.

Interesting. Are we able to deduce how the recorded value you reference relates to what the Euro and it's ensembles depicted yesterday or even the 0z as well?

I have a few friends in emergency management who use my websites product and contact me for info...and I can tell you that the first call I got was this morning and it was just to get a briefing on the situation. It's still way too early to pinpoint Mac hazard areas and way way too early for evacs or other procedures. Now is still the time to get early preparedness steps completed..stock up on essentials, clean your gutters, etc

We had discussions with Ocean County\Seaside Park OEMs. They said the are gearing for flooding only and wouldn't make any announcements or possible closures to the town until late Sunday. Only thing they have done is cancel garbage pick up. lol

would that start to hint the Euro as the outlier?

GFS just seems off to me in how it deals with the ridging/various shortwaves, etc, and it seems confused in how it flops around every run. NAM is just useless outside of 48 hr. Euro seems like a much steadier hand and way to go for now. The tropical models are also more in line with the Euro, although the transitioning to ET might not be in their wheelhouse.

Archived