• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
hurricane sandy thread #2

forkyfork

I haven't seen any estimate on storm surge yet. Is it too soon to get any ideas on how much surge to expect on the high tides let say from Cape Cod to Southern New Jersey? Since i live on the shore in West Haven CT I also was interested in surge for the CT coast.

This storm surge model may be of interest:

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/et_surge/et_surge_info.shtml

Has 4-5 foot storm surge for the Jersey shore, NY harbor, and CT coastline by 96 hours (as far out as it goes), and the storm is still hours from making landfall.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z tropical models seem to have shifted south win a cluster of plots landfalling in MD/DE/SNJ

Even if the southern track verifies, we would still be looking at lots of wind and major tidal flooding. I would think maybe a few inches of rain as opposed to 6-12 inches would you agree?

Horrendous mistake.

People are already laughing this off around home, because they see Sandy as only a Cat 1 now and the perception that "it's too late in the year to get a hurricane". Unfortunately I think this is a storm that will catch a lot of people off-guard. The surge is by far the greatest worry. Doesn't matter much if it makes landfall in S NJ/DE or closer. The long-duration fetch and gusts to 90 mph+ at the immediate coast will do tons of its own damage.

This storm surge model may be of interest:

http://www.opc.ncep....urge_info.shtml

Has 4-5 foot storm surge for the Jersey shore, NY harbor, and CT coastline by 96 hours (as far out as it goes), and the storm is still hours from making landfall.

Wow, those are some pretty darn impressive values. Concerned about my office which is near the shore in SW CT.

Even if the southern track verifies, we would still be looking at lots of wind and major tidal flooding. I would think maybe a few inches of rain as opposed to 6-12 inches would you agree?

If it makes landfall south of Delaware, we would begin to see some lessened impacts I would think..but still a considerable burst of wind along the shore and storm surge.

If it landfalls between DE and Central NJ...people are underestimating the effect of the easterly gales on the shores.

There's going to several more adjustments to the track. The likelihood that the track on the 12z run will be the ultimate track is very slim. I would not be shocked to see re-adjustment to the north by tomorrow. I think a Cape May or Ocean City, NJ hit is more probable with pressure of 970-975 mb on landfall.

I don't think it's fair to criticize anyone or talk about evacuations when we don't know where the storm is going yet.

Strongly agree....I am not an emergency management expert but I don't think we are in the window yet for when those kinds of calls need to be made....also the quote that was made was literally yesterdays news...and the MTA boss was probably interviewed earlier than that....I'm sure if as we get closer to the onset of the event significant surge is being predicted that might change.

Not quite. With surface low over LI, winds would be more northerly for a time. Worst case scenario would be landfall into LBI to say Belmar, NJ with low then retrograding SW towards PHL.

Should have calrified

Meant of all the model runs this morning

No, that would be worse for eastern New England. It keeps NYC in offshore winds, although the Sound would likely still have serious issues.

actually remember this is a slow moving system - u get SE winds for a while that turn to the NE

as it stalls , this run is out to 84 hours , then its retrogrades ( if u believe this 1 run ) its bad for NYC " if true " beacuse you will pile LI SOUND WATER back down the east river and as it back NW - you take a storm surge up the east river

into the battery . i was comparing to the other model run this AM that takes into the Delmarva

so should have read this is a worst case scenerio in comparison to the other runs this AM .

I THINK LANDFALL is in south jersey .

Archived